ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE (1979)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek Movies and related subjects
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops

I wondered why the mask looked so bad. thanks
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:18 pm    Post subject: Star Trek the Motion Picture Wormhole Sequence Reply with quote

Star Trek the Motion Picture Wormhole Sequence

Official clip from the Paramount Vault of Star Trek the Motion Picture Wormhole Sequence. Since Paramount posted this clip on YouTube, it should hang around for a while.

LINK:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX7M-A-DoWk

Last edited by bulldogtrekker on Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:43 pm; edited 3 times in total
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it not technically possible to embed YouTube videos here at All Sci-Fi? Yuku boards manage it, and some other boards too, though generally it's often necessary to change the "https" to just plain "http" in the address...
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Nope, we can't do it Reply with quote

Custer wrote:
Is it not technically possible to embed YouTube videos here at All Sci-Fi? Yuku boards manage it, and some other boards too, though generally it's often necessary to change the "https" to just plain "http" in the address...

Quote from Bud our administrator:

Quote:
Nope, we can't do it. At the bottom of the main index you'll see this:

Powered by phpBB 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

That means our software won't do lot's of things that new software will, even newer phpBB software that we refused to accept as an upgrade from the old web host......

Last edited by bulldogtrekker on Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custer wrote:

Sorry, Custer, but as Bulldogtrekker said (with a quote from a Facebook message I sent him when he relayed your question to me), it can't be down quite as easily with our decade-old software as it can on the Yuku boards.

But there's a trick I use that does practically the same thing. This looks complicated, but with a little practice, it's easy.

Here's what you do.

First, paste the link to the YouTube video into your posts, like this.

Then put this --> [URL= --- at the front of the link, and a bracket ( ] ) at the end.

Now it looks likes this.

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX7M-A-DoWk]

Left-click on the YouTube thumbnail and select "copy image location", then paste that image code (surrounded by [img] and [/img] on each end) right between the the red part shown below and this --> [/url] -- shown in green, which you add at the very end.

Or to put it more simply, you create this.

[uri=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX7M-A-DoWk]image code here[/url]

The result will look like this! Just click it and YouTube plays the video in a new window. Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
gofffan
Senior Crewman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Star Trek the Motion Picture Wormhole Sequence Reply with quote

bulldogtrekker wrote:
Star Trek the Motion Picture Wormhole Sequence

Official clip from the Paramount Vault of Star Trek the Motion Picture Wormhole Sequence. Since Paramount posted this clip on YouTube, it should hang around for a while.

LINK:

The story goes that the wormhole effect was a b**ch to shoot since the bridge set was closed (no wild walls) and with the bouncing and the heat from the lights and the days it took to shoot - nerves were frayed.
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bridge was built wild but director Robert Wise ordered the pieces locked together to force the actors to behave as if it were a real bridge.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert (Butch) Day wrote:
The bridge was built wild but director Robert Wise ordered the pieces locked together to force the actors to behave as if it were a real bridge.

We'd all like to see where that fact came from, Butch. Seems like a strange thing for a veteran director to do.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First heard it in a speech by Robert Wise at the Seattle Center Sci-Fi Expo in 1978. Saw it later that year in Starlog. I'll try to find a copy of that article and post it.
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Star Trek: The Motion Picture Turns 36 Reply with quote

Star Trek: The Motion Picture Turns 36

Star Trek: The Motion Picture -- which opened on December 7, 1979, or 36 years ago ... rose from the ashes of Star Trek: Phase II, the abandoned television series that would have returned the cast of Star Trek: The Original Series to their rightful place on the U.S.S. Enterprise. And, as most devoted Trek fans know, Phase II rose out of the ashes of a proposed TOS feature that was to have been directed by Philip Kaufman. There's so much that could have been or might have been, but then we wouldn't be where we are right now, on the cusp of a third film with the current cast and also another live-action series.

But, back when TMP debuted, it marked the very first time Star Trek's majestic, iconic starship ventured into cinemas. The jury remains out on TMP, which was directed by Robert Wise, the man behind The Day the Earth Stood Still, The Andromeda Strain, West Side Story and The Sound of Music. Some people find it slow, even boring. Others love it, especially its basic story, which echoed the thinking person's sci-fi so associated with The Original Series. And, no question, the DVD version, Star Trek: The Motion Picture: The Director's Edition, vastly improves upon the initial release. Join StarTrek.com in celebrating the film's 36th anniversary with some factoids, tidbits and anecdotes Trek's first theatrical voyage. ......

- See more at: http://www.startrek.com/article/star-trek-the-motion-picture-turns-36#sthash.muEdPxwC.dpuf

Last edited by bulldogtrekker on Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:03 pm; edited 3 times in total
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A rare, blue screen show from TMP from Treks in Sci-fi. Imgur

Last edited by bulldogtrekker on Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McDonalds Happy Meals have been around since June 1977. The first tie-in to a movie was Star Trek The Motion Picture. Here is that Happy Meal (minus the food).

I still have mine.

Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The box varied from meal to meal. There was one for each of the major characters. Kirk's is shown above. Here is Spock's:

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched my DVD of ST: TMP Director's Cut tonight twice. Once with Bulldogtrekker while we chatted on line, and again afterwards with the commentary which included, Robert Wise and Jerry Goldsmith.

I gained a new respect for this movie, and Robert Wise's redone version is much better than the original.

Thanks to BDT, who provided interesting info throughout the film, which is his all-time favorite movie.

And just because I'm a leg man, here's two more great reasons to enjoy this film. Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
noetic_hatter
Planetary Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched TMP the other night for the first time in a lot of years.

Good gracious, that's an hour of story stretched to 2 hours using slow pans of the ship and V'Ger, as well as reaction shot after reaction shot after reaction shot after reaction shot after reaction shot after reaction shot. Shocked I had forgotten it was like that.

Also, Walter Koenig in particular was terrible.

That said, there's plenty to like. The film looks gorgeous - I am a sucker for 70's SF. We get some nice character moments reminding me why I love TOS so much - especially McCoy calling out Kirk when Jim's being a dick. And the score is terrific.

But: It's still weird hearing what to me is TNG music all over this film. It's not the film's fault, obviously, but I couldn't help being distracted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek Movies and related subjects All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: