ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The 10 Best Star Trek Episode Endings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek on Television
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject: The 10 Best Star Trek Episode Endings Reply with quote

The 10 Best Star Trek Episode Endings
by Mweyer, I09

Over five decades and as many TV shows, Star Trek has had a lot of good and bad. But one thing that always gets you is how, when they're good, they can end an episode damn well. For the hell of it, I started thinking of the best endings of all the Trek series and decided to rank them as best I could. Some are dramatic, some are funny, some are heart-breaking, some are moving. But all showcase how a Trek episode ends right and how to enjoy them.

1. All Good Things, Next Generation.
2. In the Pale Moonlight, Deep Space Nine
3. The Best of Both Worlds Part 1, Next Generation
4. The Trouble With Tribbles, TOS
5. Call to Arms, Deep Space Nine
6. Pathfinder, Voyager
7. The Inner Light, TNG
8. City on the Edge of Forever, TOS
9. In a Mirror Darkly, Enterprise
10. Endgame, Voyager

Cutting this down to just 10 was absolutely killer but sure many more that can qualify, hope you enjoyed and share if you want.

Videos of all endings are at the link below
LINK:
http://observationdeck.io9.com/the-10-best-star-trek-episode-endings-1698733590
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Trouble With Tribbles" has always been one of my favorite episodes, but the ending isn't all that great. Scotty tells Kirk that he beamed all the tribbles into the Klingons' engine room just before they went to warp speed; then he makes a lame pun.

Really, don't you think starships would have security shields and automatic intruder alerts to prevent anyone or anything from beaming aboard without authorization?

IMHO, the TOS episode "Balance of Terror" has one of the best endings. It's a powerful dramatic double-whammy: First the brief dialogue exchange between Kirk and the defeated Romulan commander ("You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend") just before the Romulan self-destructs his ship; then Kirk consoling the young female Lieutenant whose almost-husband was killed. And finally a tracking shot of Kirk striding purposefully through the corridor, because . . . because Kirk is DA MAN!
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another facet to the enjoyable Tribbles episode is Scotty's actions which are brutal when you ponder it. Beaming all those creatures over onto the Klingon vessel will clearly have severe repercussions for those cute little creatures. Death.

Given the nature & culture of the Klingon Empire we can make a pretty decent guess as to their reactions to this event.

Kill the Tribbles via their sonic weapons &/or gather them up & beam them out into the icy cold of outer space.

They sure as hell aren't going to put up with 'em for long.
Pye-Rate
Starship Co-Pilot

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i recall in Nextgen there references to the Great Tribble Hunt!
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

POW wrote:
Another facet to the enjoyable Tribbles episode is Scotty's actions which are brutal when you ponder it. Beaming all those creatures over onto the Klingon vessel will clearly have severe repercussions for those cute little creatures. Death.

Maybe I'm cold and heartless, but in view of the fact that tribbles are an even bigger pest than ants and roaches, wiping out a few thousand doesn't bother me at all!

Other than the juvenile emotional reaction all the humans (and one Vulcan) —

— had to them, they're absolutely useless! Puppies and kitttens are cute, and gerbils are moderately appealing — but those legless, eyeless, faceless furballs have about as much appeal as the "dust bunnies" under my sofa.

I supposed you could kill 'em, stuff 'em, shove a stick up their ass and sell them as those "static dusters" like the one I use to delicately clean my hanging Captain Power ships the other objects on my mantle.

Or better yet, spray the living ones with the stuff that makes those static dusters pick up dust, and then let "em creep around under the couch and pike up the dust bunnies they resemble! Very Happy
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tribbles . . . Natures dust mops!
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXACTLY!

Gord, you SO get me on this! Very Happy

Based on your observation, let's take your brilliant concept a scientific step further.

Suppose we could genetically engineer the tribbles to actually EAT dust! After all, they say that 80% of dust is actually human skin cells! Shocked

So, why not create tribbles that feed exclusively on those dead skins cells which constantly settle on horizontal surfaces — that damn stuff we all have to remove periodically just to keep things neat and clean in our homes and work places? Shocked

In other words, these tribbles are "living Roomba vacuum cleaners" which creep around our homes and gobble up the dust everywhere it settles! Very Happy

These "dust eating" tribbles would be genetically engineered with limited lifespans and an inability to reproduce! That means the public would have to periodically replace their Roomba-Tribbles — thus insuring repeat customers for the suppliers! Very Happy

Gentlemen, I think we've discovered a means by which the humble and seemingly-useless tribbles could be turned into a multi-billion dollar enterprise that would eliminate dust in every home across the galaxy! Cool

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eureka! What a great idea!

Now if we could program in a Pac Man "chomp chomp" it would be great!

Krel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Suppose we could genetically engineer the tribbles to actually EAT dust! After all, they say that 80% of dust is actually human skin cells! Shocked

So, why not create tribbles that feed exclusively on those dead skins cells which constantly settle on horizontal surfaces — that damn stuff we all have to remove periodically just to keep things neat and clean in our homes and work places? Shocked

In other words, these tribbles are "living Roomba vacuum cleaners" which creep around our homes and gobble up the dust everywhere it settles! Very Happy

These "dust eating" tribbles would be genetically engineered with limited lifespans and an inability to reproduce! That means the public would have to periodically replace their Roomba-Tribbles — thus insuring repeat customers for the suppliers! Very Happy

I don't think that I would like tribbles that are developing a taste for flesh, human flesh wandering around my home. First Fido and Tabby go missing, then members of the family vanish without a trace. Shocked

There's a story. Police enter a home where the inhabitants haven't been heard from for weeks. The only thing the Police find is a dustless house and very fat tribbles. Laughing As more people go missing, the only thing the Police find, is clean, empty homes and fat tribbles. Laughing

They tried making the dinosaurs in the novel "Jurassic Park" where they couldn't reproduce. But as Michael Crichton wrote, life will find a way.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect! I cracked up . . . then I STOOD up and saluted you, sir! Cool

You covered every fascinating aspect of your story concept;

~ The good intentions of the optimistic scientists

~ The "science experiment" which goes horribly wrong

~ The strange mystery which the savvy detectives investigate

~ The compounding clues which baffle the police

~ The historical perspective provided by Jurassic Park, a warning which the scientist should have heeded.

David, this might not seem like a serious story idea just because it was inspired by tribbles. And yet the basic principle of genetically engineered organisms which clean human habitats by eating dust, but then "malfunction" in unexpected ways, is a perfect recipe for a sci-fi/horror/mystery! :shock;

And for the record, I am NOT talking about some satirical version with comic cops and "in" jokes about tribbles! I see this is a serious story which includes all the elements you described above.

The big difference, of course, is that these "organic Roombas" would NOT be fuzzy fur-balls.

However, I don't know what they actually would look like in this serious version. Confused

They obviously can't look like tribbles . . . but they still must be somewhat appealing.

So . . . what do you think they're basic appearance should be?

Krel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They could still be furry, you'd want them to be appealing so people would allow them in their homes. Maybe like a fuzzy DRD, but they would need some kind of feathery limbs to sweep in the dust. They would need some way to move about and climb. Maybe dozens of little legs that tickle when you hold them to add to the appeal. The legs could also be used to gather in debris.

They would need to be fairly small to be able to fit on shelves and furniture to clean them. That means that you would need many of them to clean the house.

I don't know what type of mouth they would have. Perhaps not a mouth, but they would used some form of chemical to dissolve the debris that it takes in, and absorb it through their skin. That would make it easier for them to consume larger objects . . . like pets and people.

Well there's a horrific image. A pet or person covered by tribbles as they are consumed.

I like to think of my self as an optimistic person, looking on the bright side; the glass is half-full kind of guy. But I have noticed that when we have these kind of discussions, I tend to dive straight into the dark side. Laughing

David.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek on Television All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: