ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek Movies and related subjects
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bogmeister
Galactic Fleet Vice Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986) Reply with quote

____
________

This was the concluding ark to Star Trek's trilogy of films two, three, and four, as well as Nimoy's follow-up directing job after The Search For Spock (1984). This 4th Trek film has the surface appearance of being rather simplistic and lightweight.

But, against the odds, it succeeds, probably because all of the scenes in the film are pitch perfect — that nearly-perfect balance of humor, action, and science fiction fancy; Nimoy learned his lessons well while directing the 3rd Trek film.

Again, on the surface, the story seems to be a simple union of the overused time travel angle, coupled with an environmental message. But because the messengers are the seven well-known characters of the Trek canon — all here given a chance to shine as never before — there's much more enjoyment to be found throughout than we could have ever expected.

Admittedly, all this might appeal more to long-time Trekkers, those who grew to really like these characters. And yet, this Trek film was the best box office among all the Trek films (until the revamp in 2009), reaching an audience outside the usual fan base.

All the actors had been in these roles for many years by this point and they each knew how to make the most of it, including the ones playing Scotty, Sulu, Chekov and Uhura, usually relegated to one-note scenes regarding ship's functions.

Here, they get to fully participate in a grand Trek adventure, full partners with the main trio of Kirk, Spock and McCoy. I think this is what made the film so popular — filmgoers were pleasantly surprised to see the old characters finally used to their full potential. Oh, and besides returning Spock's father, Sarek, they even let Spock's mother (Jane Wyatt) return briefly. Talk about grand reunions (they last appeared together in the episode Journey to Babel).

__

The only thing missing, of course, is the Enterprise — our Trekking castaways get around in a commandeered Klingon 'Bird of Prey' ship.

In the plot, things begin with a huge mysterious probe which approaches Earth and knocks out all power as it sends a signal into the oceans, requiring an answer. I had some misgivings when I first saw this in the theaters back in '86 — it seemed too similar to the first Trek film (shades of V'Ger!) and did not bode well.

But, luckily, the story veers onto a different tack after this first act. Our heroes are on their way back to Earth as well, ready to answer charges for breaking several Starfleet rules and regs in the previous film.

Suddenly this turns out to be the least of their problems as they're placed in the position of saving their planet once again. Instead of attacking the probe head-on, which would probably be a useless attempt, they deduce that their best option is to travel back to Earth's 20th century. And the audience is along for the ride — watching these greats work their magic, watching them solve all manner of dilemmas and accompanying these living legends on their tour of present-day (the eighties) San Francisco.

It's wish fulfillment, it's a crowd-pleaser, it's high concept sci-fi done with a wink and a cheer.

Some might argue that this film simply retreads familiar ground, namely the original time travel episodes Tomorrow is Yesterday and Assignment:Earth, but all the scenes in our present time work great.

My personal favorite is the scene where Scotty & McCoy meet with a Plexiglas manufacturer and their introduction to him of transparent aluminum. It's directed perfectly, with Scotty at first appearing out of place, but soon showing he was in control of the situation the whole time — it may be Doohan's finest moment in the Trek film series.

Running a close second is Chekov's interrogation scene; it should have been stupid but, somehow, director Nimoy and actor Koenig made it hysterical. There are numerous others — Kirk's bit with his eyeglasses, Spock's conversation with the whales and his struggle with present-day profanity in speech, and the entire sequence in the hospital — it's all smoothly integrated into the overall playful adventure.

In addition, there's a couple of small asides involving time paradoxes. These are almost throwaways and indicate the involvement of Nicholas Meyer (as far as the writing), who had directed Time After Time, which this film resembles in some ways. Time travel movies tend to be fun; Back to the Future was released the year before this Trek film.

Catherine Hicks was cute, spunky, and very likable as the present-day lady whom Kirk & Spock befriend. We even encounter some genuine suspense in the race against time near the climax.

Yes, maybe it is a bit all lightweight in the end but, as the concluding chapter of a trilogy, it gave us the satisfaction of tying things up neatly - with Spock and his father, with the fate of our beloved crew and the promise of yet another new beginning.

BoG's Score: 8 out of 10

But, uh-oh, next was Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, in 1989.

~ This footage was only shown in theaters in a couple of countries outside the USA.

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home Introduction

BoG
Galaxy Overlord Galactus

Last edited by Bogmeister on Sun May 19, 2019 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, this is a fun movie to watch.

They blow the theory out of the water of do not interfere with the past or you could alter the present.

Harlan Ellison's terrific script for ''The City On the Edge of Forever'' established that the prime directive for alien civilizations should equally apply to one's own historic past.

Let's face it, the movie pretty much trashes that whole concept.

I also disliked that we never do learn exactly what the intent of the mysterious probe was in the film.

A rather major plot point.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow, it appears that you and I agree about the flaws in this movie, and I was surprised that Bogmeister praised it so much and rated it so highly. Frankly I just don't see the appeal of a Star Trek movie that has an alien probe which just shows up and wants to count the number of whales on Earth . . . while nearly wiping us off the damn planet!

And the noble Enterprise crew wanders around San Francisco making silly jokes like "What did the bus driver mean by 'exact change'?"

Spock plods around dressed in an oversized Ceremonial Vulcan Bathrobe. Chekov has to sneak aboard the USS Enterprise aircraft carrier for reasons that make no sense, and Scotty is dumb enough to look right smack at an old computer and act surprised when it won't talk to him! Rolling Eyes

And for God's sake, whose idea was it to blow up the Enterprise and have the crew fly around in a crappy old Bird of Prey? Shocked

As far as changing the past goes — this movie presents a lame story about how we have to "save the whales so we can save the world", and to do this we risk trashing the timeline.

Jeez Marie, I swear I come up better story ideas in the shower every morning! But I usually forget 'em before I'm done shaving. That's okay, though, because right after breakfast I'm here on All Sci-Fi and I can share the good ones I've thought of while eating my cereal, if they're really worth a damn. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek Movies and related subjects All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: