ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey (1991)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bogmeister
Galactic Fleet Vice Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey (1991) Reply with quote

__________ Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey Trailer

Sequel to Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure (89).

As established in the previous film, paradise on Earth exists 700 years in the future due to the influence of Bill & Ted (Alex Winter & Keanu Reeves), a couple of slackers from 1989.

However, in 2691 A.D., there is a faction led by a disgruntled fascist named De Nomolos (Joss Acklund) which denies this utopia. De Nomolos sends a couple of android duplicates of Bill & Ted to 1991 so that they will kill the two moronic heavy metal wannabes. De Nomolos happens to be the ex-teacher of Rufus (George Carlin, reprising) and — in traditional villain mode — announces his plans to him.

Rufus also goes time traveling to warn his buddies, but he gets lost. Meanwhile, in 1991, Bill & Ted plan to hit it big in a concert, and Ted's dad still wants to send him to military school. The two dudes also are going out with the girls from medieval Britain (played by different actresses) and live in an apartment (how they afford this is not explained).

BoG
Galaxy Overlord Galactus
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has 52 trivia items for this movie. Here’s a few of the ones I found the most interesting, in the blue text. Very Happy

~ The evil character from the future is called "De Nomolos", which is writer and producer Ed Solomon's name spelled backwards.

Note from me: I never would have figured that out on my own, but the trick produced a suitably ominous name! Very Happy

~ When Bill and Ted go to Missy's séance, you can see Chris Matheson and Ed Solomon, the creators and writers of Bill and Ted. They're the only men that are attending the séance. (Chris is the guy with the white shirt, and Ed is the guy with the glasses.) They also say "ed and chris rule the world" backwards

Note from me: Obviously the creators of this movie had a good time making it.

~ The mountain, to which Bill and Ted are brought to be killed by the evil robots, is the same mountain Captain Kirk climbs in Star Trek: The Original Series: Arena (1967), which Bill and Ted watched in their apartment.

Note from me: Hey, I like the way they tied the clip in with the location they used.

~ The evil robots arrive in the parking lot of the Circle-K convenience store, the same place where Bill and Ted first meet Rufus in Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure (1989). That's why there's a second square burn from the phone booth.

Note from me: Nice attention to detail. Wink

~ When Bill and Ted are addressing God, the two statues at the base of the staircase are of Michael Powell and David Niven, an homage to A Matter of Life and Death (1946) (titled Stairway to Heaven in the US). The stairway was also used in that film.

Note from me: Hey, I love that movie! But I can't help wondering if the item above is actuate. How could a set from a 1946 British film still be around, much less end being used in an American production . . . 45 years later? Confused

It's obvious from the clip below that the stairway is just a matte, but it does seem to be somewhat patterned after the one in Stairway to Heaven.

______________ Bill and Ted Talk to God Scene

_A Matter of Life and Death - on the stairway to heaven

~ The Tillman Water Reclamation Plant in Van Nuys, California is used to represent Bill & Ted University in 2691. It would later be used to represent another future university, namely Starfleet Academy, in Star Trek: The Next Generation: The First Duty (1992) and Star Trek: Voyager: In the Flesh (1998).

Note from me: More Star Trek connections. Interesting.

~ The Ria Paschelle character was partially modeled after The Borg from Star Trek: The Next Generation (1987).

Note from me: Another Star Trek connection!

~ The film came in at No. 2 at the American Box Office, behind Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991). Incidentally, the film mocks The Terminator (1984). The evil robot duplicates of Bill and Ted are sent back through time by De Nomolos to stop the real Bill and Ted from winning The Battle of the Bands and when the evil Bill and Ted robots time travel in the stolen time machine, they wear sunglasses.

Captain Starlight
Planetary Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed the fist Bill & Ted movie, and this sequel was almost as good. But the recent second sequel just didn't appeal to me. Maybe I'll watch it again and see if my opinion improves.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: