ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Space Truckers (1996)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bogmeister
Galactic Fleet Vice Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Space Truckers (1996) Reply with quote

______________ Space Truckers 1996 TRAILER

_____

This is Stuart Gordon's satirical contribution to the sci-fi futuristic society-in-outer space premise.

The main character is a trucker (Dennis Hopper) of the future. His vehicle actually moves through outer space but resembles a big rig truck. He's an independent contractor, not part of a conglomerate, and his ornery, rebellious attitude puts him at odds with the establishment, represented by a company manager (George Wendt) at a space station truck stop.

After things go haywire at this space station, Hopper takes a mysterious shipment to Earth. Along for the ride are a newbie trucker (Stephen Dorff) and a young woman (Debi Mazar) who needs to see her mother on the mother planet.

Hopper's space truck is swallowed by a huge ship of hijackers led by a half-man/half-machine ex-scientist (Charles Dance) who happens to be the developer of the secret cargo — a group lethal, nearly-unstoppable super warriors. These are meant to be used in some plot to take over Earth.

The film combines wry humor with some grotesque stuff which director Gordon is well known for (From Beyond, etc.). There's a lot of grisly death, courtesy of these super cyborgs, who can disintegrate body parts.

Charles Dance is entertaining as the sophisticated villain who has barely any human parts left. The other actors are only so-so, as if unsure on how to approach the material. Stephen Dorff, for example, is earnest but rather empty of any characterization. The plot is fairly inventive, trying to keep the audience guessing about what happens next.

BoG's Score: 6.5 out of 10

Trucker Trivia: small roles for Vernon Wells (The Road Warrior) as one of the hijackers and 2nd-in-command to Dance's leader, and Barbara Crampton (From Beyond) as the mother waiting on Earth. Shane Rimmer also pops up as a corrupt politician.

BoG
Galaxy Overlord Galactus

Last edited by Bogmeister on Sun May 19, 2019 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Krel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fun movie, not deep but one you can watch to relax.

The space station interiors have plenty of bright colors. Stuart Gordon figured that after traveling through black space, the travelers would want to see some color.

David.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just check Netflix, and here's another movie they DON'T have! Rolling Eyes

I'm beginning to wonder why I'm paying for that service! I only get a few movies a month, and they hardly ever have movies I'd like to stream.

I might be better off just buying a few movies each month and owning the dang things! Shocked

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy this montage of scenes from Space Truckers which features Debi Mazar, with a beautiful musical accompaniment. Cool

______________ Debi Mazar in Space Truckers

IMDB has several interesting trivia items for this production. Very Happy

~ The biomechanical warriors were designed by Japanese illustrator Hajime Sorayama, known for his precisely detailed, erotic hand painted portrayals of women and feminine robots.

Note from me: By gum, Mr. Sorayama is damn good! I think I've seen his work before.

~ Director Stuart Gordon had the idea of truckers in space for years. After the international success of his last film, Fortress, the head of marketing was able to work up the grosses and ended up with a budget of 25 million dollars.

Note from me: And brother, did he do the "trucker" concept literally of what? The space station has greasy spoon restaurant, the gals wear cowboy hats, and the spaceships are designed like big rig eighteen wheelers! Laughing

~ Stephen Dorff's agent didn't like the title "Space Truckers", so throughout shooting, the title was "Untitled Irish Space Movie". When filming wrapped, Stuart Gordon asked Stephen Dorff what the title of this movie should be. Dorff suggested "Space Trucker". So the film was re-titled "Space Truckers" again.

Note from me: It's strange how a title can grow on you. I used to think The Day the Earth Stood Still sounded a big clunky, but now it sounds plum epic. Very Happy

~ Due to the trouble of finding a US distributor, the film was never released theatrically in the US. It premiered on HBO.

Note from me: This movie is no classic, but it is fun. I wonder how it would have done at the box office if they'd promoted well.

~ Former "National Lampoons" editor Ted Mann, who scripted this science-fiction comedy, calls it "The first outer space road movie." According to Mann, the film has "no scientists, no techies, none of the unusual polished, sanitary environments we're used to in our space films. Space is like anywhere else - the people who are there are underpaid and poorly regarded."

Note from me: That describes this movie to a tee!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: