ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Batwoman (CW 2019)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Batwoman (CW 2019) Reply with quote

Today the good folks at the CW and DC released the first trailer for their upcoming Batwoman television series. The "BATWOMAN" series stars Ruby Rose as Batwoman as well as Dakota Daulby (as the Cheshire Cat), Rachel Skarsten (as Alice), Elizabeth Anweis (as Catherine Hamilton-Kane), Aqeel Ash-Shakoor (as a Crow Agent), and Jerry L. Beasley.

IMDB describes CW's Batwoman as —

"Kate Kane, armed with a passion for social justice and a flair for speaking her mind, soars onto the streets of Gotham as Batwoman, an out lesbian and highly trained street fighter primed to snuff out the failing city's criminal resurgence. But don't call her a hero yet. In a city desperate for a savior, Kate must overcome her own demons before embracing the call to be Gotham's symbol of hope."

Marcos Siega has taken the directors chair on the first episode and writers Caroline Dries, Ebony Gilbert, Edmond Hamilton, Sheldon Moldoff, and Greg Berlanti are all onboard for the series. Ruby Rose's Batwoman is set to hit the CW this fall on Sunday nights. I hope this series is a success, however, this trailer did not genuinely grab me as the Gotham series did immediately. Being an avid Batwoman fan, I pray that the series is more than just girl power pandering, I want some depth of character besides the obvious. Again I hope this series is good, they have archives of greatness to pull from, and I hope they do. What do all of you out there surfing the world wide web think of the Batwoman trailer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrIiPcv4_iY
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Batwoman Baddie Rachel Skarsten: Alice Teeters Between 'Sane and Completely Insane,' Has Axe to Grind

https://tvline.com/2019/05/26/batwoman-video-rachel-skarsten-alice-wonderland-gang/

The Big Bad of The CW’s upcoming Batwoman series has a supersized beef with someone — and it’s not necessarily the titular vigilante.

Ordered to series earlier this month and set to air Sundays at 8/7c this fall (leading into Supergirl), But beyond and possibly above the Wonderland Gang’s agenda, Alice “has an axe to grind” with a character Skarsten is not at liberty to name.

(Video at site.)

In the video Q&A above, Skarsten also shares an amusing tale of sparring on-screen with series star Rose, who among other things is an amateur fighter; names Alice’s No. 1 skill as a villain illin’ to “run Gotham and make mayhem”; and breaks down her character’s look and how it honors but slightly deviated from the comic books.

The Batwoman cast also includes Dougray Scott (Hemlock Grove) as Kate Kane’s dad, Jacob; Meagan Tandy (Teen Wolf) as military academy graduate/Kate’s ex Sophie Moore; Camrus Johnson (Marvel’s Luke Cage) as Lucius Fox’s son, Luke; and Nicole Kang (YOU) as Kate’s step-sister, Mary Hamilton. follows Kate Kane (played by Ruby Rose of the Arrow-verse Elseworlds crossover), “an out lesbian and highly trained street fighter” primed to snuff out the failing Gotham City’s criminal resurgence.

Speaking with TVLine at The CW’s Upfronts red carpet, Rachel Skarsten — whose previous credits include Reign, Lost Girl and The WB’s short-lived Birds of Prey — said that Alice, the archnemesis she plays, teeters between “sane and completely insane,” as the leader of the Wonderland Gang that is looking to prosper during Batman’s mysterious absence.

(Interview with Batwoman star Ruby Rose at site.)

Mike Cervello
Planetary Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far so good, especially the first two episodes. I understand what they did in the third episode, but I really hope the plot doesn’t go spiraling off in so many directions viewers get confused about what’s going on.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun Fact } Rachel Skarsten who plays Batwoman's nemesis Crazy Alice was once a hero on another DC Comics based series.

"Birds Of Prey" ran from 2002~'03 for 14 episodes.

The cast consisted of Dina Meyer as Barb Gordon/Batwoman who now went by Oracle. Barb was shot by the Joker and became a paraplegic. She now ran a crime fighting organization from her clock tower headquarters.

Ashley Scott was Helena Kyle/The Huntress. She was a meta~human with special powers. Her parents were Bruce Wayne/Batman and Selina Kyle/Cat Woman.

Rachel Skarsten was Dinah Lance and her mom was the Black Canary. Dinah was also a meta~human.

Together they formed the Birds of Prey in order to fight crime in a Gotham City that no longer had Batman as he disappeared several years earlier.

The show never really caught on and has many critics. I think if it came along when the CW produced their current crop of DC superheroes (Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow, Black Lightning, Batwoman) BOP might have been a success.

I always thought that it was a pretty decent superhero show with a wonderful cast and should have run for much longer than it did.
Mike Cervello
Planetary Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The storyline is consistently good. I like the way the heroes and villains are so well connected to each other. Looks like we have a series with layered characters and plots. Excellent! I am looking forward to the next episode.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruby Rose just announced that she will not be returning as Kate Kane on the Batwoman CW TV show.

No explanation is given, but she does thank the creators, producers and cast and crew for their professionalism and opportunity have been a part of the series.
Krel

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She had a bad accident and from what I have read, she had to have two vertebra fused. Not good, and could lead to future health problems.

David.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why ‘Batwoman’ star Ruby Rose left the CW series

By Joe Otterson, Variety

Rose’s time on “Batwoman” marked the first TV starring role of her career. She previously appeared on Netflix’s “Orange Is the New Black” and has appeared in supporting roles in several films to date.

Given the sudden nature of it, speculation has been rampant as to the reason for Rose’s exit from the series. It was speculated that it had something to do with pain associated with an emergency surgery Rose underwent for two herniated discs, but a source familiar with the situation tells Variety that Rose’s decision “had nothing to do with her health or injury.”

Rose has also been open about her mental health issues in the past. Back in October, she posted on Instagram “I’ve struggled with mental health my entire life.” She went on to say that she had attempted suicide multiple times and had been hospitalized at different times in her life.

In a statement issued announcing Rose’s departure, the studio, network, and Berlanti Productions said they would be seeking “a new lead actress and member of the LGBTQ community, in the coming months.”

“Batwoman” was renewed for a second season back in January. The show centers on Kate Kane, the cousin of Bruce Wayne and an out lesbian who assumes the titular mantle of Batwoman to protect Gotham City.

Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Character to Replace Kate Kane Following Ruby Rose Exit

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/batwoman-ruby-rose-new-lead-character-1234624323/

Batwoman could have a completely new lead character once the second season begins.

Variety has confirmed that The CW and Warner Bros. Television are looking to cast a completely new character to play the titular superhero for the show’s second season. According to a leaked casting notice, the new lead character is currently named Ryan Wilder, with sources saying she could be played by a woman of color. She is described as:

“She’s likable, messy, a little goofy and untamed. She’s also nothing like Kate Kane, the woman who wore the batsuit before her. With no one in her life to keep her on track, Ryan spent years as a drug-runner, dodging the GCPD and masking her pain with bad habits. A girl who would steal milk for an alley cat could also kill you with her bare hands, Ryan is the most dangerous type of fighter: highly skilled and wildly undisciplined. An out lesbian. Athletic. Raw. Passionate. Fallible. And very much not your stereotypical All-American hero.”

News of the casting comes after series lead Ruby Rose shocked fans when she announced her departure from the series in May.

Variety previously reported that Rose left the series due to the heavy workload caused by being the series lead. Given the sudden nature of it, speculation has been rampant as to the reason for Rose’s exit from the series. It was speculated that it had something to do with pain associated with an emergency surgery Rose underwent for two herniated discs, but a source familiar with the situation tells Variety that Rose’s decision “had nothing to do with her health or injury.”

Rose has also been open about her mental health issues in the past. Back in October, she posted on Instagram “I’ve struggled with mental health my entire life.” She went on to say that she had attempted suicide multiple times and had been hospitalized at different times in her life.

Batwoman was renewed for a second season back in January. The show previously centered on Kane, the cousin of Bruce Wayne and an out lesbian who assumes the mantle of Batwoman to protect Gotham City.

Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Showrunner Explains Why the “Soap Opera Version” of Recasting Was Avoided

https://www.slashfilm.com/batwoman-showrunner-explains-why-the-soap-opera-version-of-recasting-was-avoided/

Ruby Rose stunned Batwoman fans recently with the announcement that she would not be returning to the titular role of the DC Comics superhero when the show returned for a second season on The CW. Since then, we’ve learned that Batwoman will not simply be recasting the role of Kate Kane, the maternal cousin of Bruce Wayne who picks up her own cape and cowl after Batman disappears. Instead, Batwoman will bring in a new character to pick up the mantle, and showrunner Caroline Dries explained why.

Caroline Dries recently appeared on an ATX Festival At Home Q&A (via TV Line), and she addressed the recent decision to have an entirely new character become Batwoman instead of having a different actress play the same role originated by Ruby Rose.

“To be honest with you, I did consider the ‘soap opera version’ [of recasting] for a hot minute, because selfishly we already had a couple episodes written, and transition-wise it would be seamless. But upon further reflection — and I think [Arrowverse EP] Greg [Berlanti] helped me make this call — he’s like, ‘I think we should just reboot Batwoman as a different character.'”

The soap opera version of recasting probably wouldn’t have been too difficult to pull off. After all, Batwoman is part of the Arrow-verse where The Flash resides, and the superhero’s high-speed time traveling has changed plenty of things in their world and parallel universes, so it wouldn’t have been hard to explain a different Kate Kane in the Arrow-verse. However, Dries said they decided to give “respect to everything that Ruby Rose put into the Kate Kane character.” Plus, she also addressed how it can be hard for audiences to accept a new face on the same character.

As it stands, the new character who will become Batwoman allows them to take the superhero in some different directions. The new Batwoman is named Ryan Wilder, and here’s the official character description that was revealed last week:

“She’s likable, messy, a little goofy and untamed. She’s also nothing like Kate Kane, the woman who wore the batsuit before her. With no one in her life to keep her on track, Ryan spent years as a drug-runner, dodging the GCPD and masking her pain with bad habits. A girl who would steal milk for an alley cat could also kill you with her bare hands, Ryan is the most dangerous type of fighter: highly skilled and wildly undisciplined. An all-out lesbian. Athletic. Raw. Passionate. Fallible. And very much not your stereotypical All-American hero.”

Dries added that this new character, who has been forced to live in a van with only a plant to keep her company, “is maybe not the right person at the time to be doing it, so that’s what makes it fun.” Hopefully fans will be on board with the new Batwoman when she arrives, though they’ll be waiting until early 2021 for the superhero’s return due to The CW’s modified television schedule in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic shutting down television production.

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't watched a single episode of Batwoman yet, but I look forward to waiting until a few seasons are "in the can" so I can binge watch it until I haven't shaved, showered, or cut my hair for a few weeks. Very Happy

I don't think I've watched a Supergirl episode since season 2 or 3, so that will give me another series to switch over to every few days. I noticed that Supergirl isn't wearing her little red miniskirt anymore — which I'll miss desperately — but the newer uniform looks awesome! Cool

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Batwoman" is off to a slam bang start for its sophmore season.

Ruby Rose (Kate Kane) has left the show after the end of its first season.

She'll be missed, but her exit hasn't hurt the show at all. In fact, its kinda more fun now.

Javicia Leslie (From the wonderful "God Friended Me" TV show)plays Ryan Wilder who grew up on the rough & tough streets of Gotham City.

Ryan was wrongfully convicted and sent to prison. She's out now and discovers the BW suit after a jet plane has exploded and crashed in Gotham City.

Ryan dons it in order to battle crime in the ugly urban streets she knows all too well from having grown up on them as a poor person with her beloved mom.

In time, she links up with Mary & Luke, and they work together with the new BW.

Luke holds out hope that somehow, someway Kate survived that horrific plane crash; Mary on the other hand believes that Kate (her half-sister) perished in the accident...or was it an accident?

Meanwhile, Crazy Alice is back and ready to destroy this new BW who has replaced her twin sister.

The two episodes so far have been promising.

Javicia is cute, funny, acerbic, sassy, and a terrific replacement in the BW role.

And it's great that she is a different persona from Kate Kane and not simply a repeat.

The show also has more welcome humor in its scenes with Ryan, Mary, and Luke.

I'm looking forward to episode #3.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: