ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TCM Science Fiction Day - July 2nd and July 9th - 10th

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: TCM Science Fiction Day - July 2nd and July 9th - 10th Reply with quote

On Tuesday July 2nd, Turner Classic Movies is presenting a classic science fiction lineup from the early years. Here's the schedule for July 2nd.

8:00 PM A Trip to the Moon (1902) In this silent film, a group of scientists ride to the moon in a cannon shell.

8:30 PM Metropolis (1926) In this silent film, a city of the future is threatened with destruction when a wealthy corporate leader enlists a mad scientist to put down labor reformers. Dir: Fritz Lang Cast: Brigitte Helm, Gustav Fröhlich, Alfred Abel

11:00 PM Die Frau im Mond (1929) aka "Girl in the Moon" Dir: Fritz Lang Cast: Klaus Pohl, Gerda Maurus, Gerhard Dammann.

2:00 AM Things To Come (1936)Two generations of philosophers try to bring an end to war. Dir: William Cameron Menzies Cast: Raymond Massey, Edward Chapman, Ralph Richardson.

4:00 AM Flash Gordon Conquers the Universe (1940) The entire serial will be aired, all twelve chapters. Four hours of fantastic space adventures with Flash, Dale, and Dr. Zarkov!

Then on Tuesday July 9th and Wednesday July 10th, TCM brings out the Big Guns! Cool

8:00 PM The Day the Earth Stood Still ( 1951) An alien demands that Earth's leaders choose between peace and destruction. Dir: Robert Wise Cast: Michael Rennie, Patricia Neal, Hugh Marlowe

9:45 PM The War of the Worlds ( 1953) A scientist on vacation stumbles upon a Martian invasion. Dir: Byron Haskin Cast: Gene Barry, Ann Robinson, Les Tremayne

11:30 PM Forbidden Planet ( 1956) A group of space troopers investigates the destruction of a colony on a remote planet. Dir: Fred McLeod Wilcox Cast: Walter Pidgeon, Anne Francis, Leslie Nielsen

1:15 AM Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956) Soulless pods take over the inhabitants of a small California town. Dir: Don Siegel Cast: Kevin McCarthy, Dana Wynter, Larry Gates

2:45 AM It Came From Outer Space (1953) No one believes an amateur astronomer's spaceship sighting until the town's people begin disappearing. Dir: Jack Arnold Cast: Richard Carlson, Barbara Rush, Charles Drake

4:15 AM The Thing From Another World (1951) The crew of a remote Arctic base fights off a murderous monster from outer space. Dir: Christian Nyby Cast: Margaret Sheridan, Kenneth Tobey, Robert Cornthwaite

6:00 AM Earth vs. the Flying Saucers (1956) Space invaders attack the nation's capital. Dir: Fred F. Sears Cast: Hugh Marlowe, Joan Taylor, Donald Curtis.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yeah, "the big guns" is right. EVERY one of those July 9th titles is on my favorites list. And all but one are alien invasion movies. Now if I could receive TCM, everything would be ducky.

Last edited by alltare on Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do....

so Sucks to be you!

Hoo Boy! I know how my days's going to go!!!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alltare, I certainly agree with you about that list of movies being the cream-of-crop. Do you own DVDs of any of those movies?

If so, I'd love to watch watch any of them you choose in All Sci-Fi's Chatzy room . . . on any day and time you choose! Very Happy

I'm sure Gord would join us too if we select a day-and-time that worked with his busy family's schedule. Bear in mind that all the movies are airing between 8 PM and 6 AM, so this really isn't "TCM Science Fiction Day". I cheated there. Embarassed

Therefore, anybody who does have TCM will be DVRing these movies and watching them later — not watching them "live" in the middle of the night! Shocked

With that in mind, you needn't feel that not having TCM means you can't share a few of those movies with your friends. (And, of course, it also means it does NOT "suck to be you.") Cool

Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what are the movies for July 9th - 10th?
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eadie wrote:
So what are the movies for July 9th - 10th?

Please look at the initial post agan, Eadie.

All the movies listed below the Flash Gordon poster are preceded by the words, "Then on Tuesday July 9th and Wednesday July 10th, TCM brings out the Big Guns!"

alltare
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Alltare, I certainly agree with you about that list of movies being the cream-of-crop. Do you own DVDs of any of those movies? If so, I'd love to watch watch any of them you choose in Chatzy room. . . on any day and time you choose!
With that in mind, you needn't feel that not having TCM means you can't share a few of those movies with your friends.

Bud,Actually, I own all of those movies, so I don't really need TCM to see them.

I have not taken part in synchronized movie viewing in chat rooms for a long time. I'm one of those people who doesn't like to talk (or type) much during movies. For me, those interruptions result in too many missed on-screen details and too many disruptions in the flow of the movie. I attended the old ASF chat room sessions for quite a while, but found that I couldn't enjoyably watch and comment at the same time, even though I owned and had seen most of those movies before their chat room appearances.

What all of the above means is that I would not be a good candidate for becoming a chat room participant again. I like the forum format more.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I completely understand. I enjoyed the ASF chats, but only by letting familiar movies play in the background while I chatted with the other folks and made comments about things that were happening in the films.

The only time ASF has had a really successful weekly chat was back in 2007 or 2008 during the boards first years, and we didn't even watch movies with it! The turnout was always much bigger than anything the more recent Friday Chat's ever produced.

One evening a member commented that TCM was showing The Thing from Another World in a little while, and he suggested that those of us who were able to watch it during the chat might like to do so. There were about ten people in the chat room, and six or seven turned on the movie, but it was just a little "icing on the cake".

We tried scheduling movies from time to time after that, but it wasn't very successful. The best chats were the ones where we just . . . chatted!

Tonight Gord Green and I just finished watching Battlebots while chatting, something we've done occasionally, and we enjoy that, but it's not at all like trying to follow the plot in a movie or TV show.

So, thanks for replying to my suggestion that we share something in the chat room, but I do understand your feelings. And we all seen those movies pretty often. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Contact All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: