ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Misfits of Science (1985 - 1986)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PumamanRedux
Planetary Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Misfits of Science (1985 - 1986) Reply with quote

Prolog: Max Wright of ALF fame passed away on June 26, 2019 at the age 75 ...

He was on a bunch of TV shows including Misfits Of Science

This show concerned super-powered humans and their madcap adventures. The team was formed by Dr. Billy Hayes, a research scientist at the Humanidyne Institute who specializes in "human anomalies". Max played Dick Stetmeyer, the uptight director of the Humanidyne Institute.

The 16 episodes and one of the series' intros are linked to in the following playlist

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiIOt3RQJ5DJSW-Ix-BHJ2CeYguk9mIWQ
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'll be darned! The pilot episode is on YouTube, and the picture quality is actually quite good! The second link below says it offers the complete series. Sweet!

Thanks, PR! And welcome back to All Sci-Fi. Cool

_____ Misfits Of Science S01e01 Deep Freeze Pilot

____________Misfits of science complete series

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just downloaded the series.

WOW! What a great series!

This was on TV when I was working almost every night , so I missed it's short run.

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has 12 user reviews for this series, and all but one rates the show very highly. They rave about how good if was.

Now that I've got a jazzy new DISH box with the voice remote, I can just tell it to play anything available on YouTube and up it pops!

Very convenient. Cool

So, I took my own advice and watched the first episode.

My first impression was that it's geared towards the same audience who loved movies like Real Genius (1985) — right down to the electrical keyboard soundtrack.

I was bothered by the fact that the pilot episode was so fast paced that it looked like a very long trailer for a movie that that was three hours long! Very Happy

But once the story got going, the pace slowed down, and I began to enjoy this pilot episode. Hopefully it will improve even further as I get into it.

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misfits of Science ran on NBC from 1985 ~ to 1986 for a total of 17 episodes.

MOS was a comedy adventure about a group of would-be super heroes in the employ of the Humanidyne Research Corporation.

The team is composed of misfits, people born with unusual abilities and sought after by Humanidyne's Human Investigation Team headed by Dr. William Hayes (Dean Paul Martin) and Dr. Elvin Lincoln (Kevin Peter Hall).

Dr. Lincoln is in fact one of the misfits, normally a very tall man of 7' 4," Lincoln can shrink down to 8 inches.

The other two misfits on the team are: Johnny Bukowski (Mark Thomas Miller), or Johnny B, a former rock and roll star who can shoot lightning bolts from his fingertips and Gloria Dinallo (Courtney Cox), an ex-juvenile delinquent with telekinetic powers.

Through the course of the series other misfits of science appear and try out for a job on the team, however their abilities are always a bit on the lame side and they are rejected.

Depending on who one is listening to, the misfits have two different purposes. According to Dick Stetmyer (Max Wright) head of Humanidyne, it is to perform super heroics to help the company's bottom line. While Dr. Hayes and Dr. Lincoln both would say the misfits super heroics are needed to help them gain acceptance into society.

The Complete Directory to Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Television Series : 1946 to 1996, by Alan Morton.

Sidebar: I could never warm up to this show in spite of its intriguing premise and fine cast. It blended science fiction, super heroes, comedy, parody and action adventure into an uneven and uneasy mix that simply did not gell.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: