ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Star Ship on Saddle Mountain by Atlantis Hallam

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Published Sci-Fi Novels and Short Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2024 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of the Young Adult novels I enjoyed as a kid in the 1950s from my public library, an unusual story about a cowboy who is abducted and taken to an alien planet.

Sounds goofy, I know, but it's treated seriously and the book is still held in high regard. Amazon has two hardcover copies for sale, one priced at $77 . . . and a "collectible" copy for $650! Shocked

I'm amazed at the name the parents of this author gave him. His full LEGAL name is Samuel Benoni Atlantis Hallam according to ISFDB Science Fiction.

I admire the guy for not writing under the name "Sam Hallam". (Geez, where's the fun in that, eh?)

He only published one novel, but he did publish five short stories.

Here's two to the 33 reviews by Amazon customers, most of whom give the book five stars. These two reviews reflect my own memories of reading the novel.

Steve C

Rated FIVE STARS - Fun and exciting adventure from the Old south West to space. Written in the 1950s

A young man alone on a small ranch in Arizona, his horse his only companion, decides to go night fishing for catfish in the Colorado river when he sees something that isn't possible. The story follows the young man and his horse on an adventure that takes him out of this world. This is a fun and exciting book! A little scary in some parts.

**Please note that I am writing this as the third grader whose teacher read this book to her class in installments each day after lunch. That third grader loved this book so much that he motivated himself to become an excellent and avid reader. Throughout my life I have often looked for this book to read to my children and now grandchildren in hope it would entertain and motivate them like it did me.

G. S. Harris

Rated FIVE STARS - My favorite book 60 years ago, still great!

When I read this book 60 years ago, I was so mesmerized that as I was reading it, the teacher called my name several times and I didn't hear her. Another student had to physically shake me to get my attention. No book before or since ever had that power.

I just read it again and marveled at how much of the story had Imprinted on me . . . I remembered Saddle Mountain, the horse Navaho, even the dim light on Saturn, and the plot. The ebook edition has typos but I was delighted to do a search using the words Saddle Mountain, Navajo, and spaceship, and there it was, my beloved childhood book, so I didn't mind the typos. I chuckled as I re-read it — it is still a great story.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Published Sci-Fi Novels and Short Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: