ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ice Pirates (1984)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bogmeister
Galactic Fleet Vice Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Ice Pirates (1984) Reply with quote

_______________ The Ice Pirates (1984) Trailer

ICE PIRATES! Oh, yea-a-a-h-h... I last saw this when it first came out on VHS, which means it was . . . 25 years ago? Question Shocked Can that be right? No Way! I must've been caught in some time warp or something! Nuts!

___

Yeah, this has all the STAR WARS derivatives — the spicy princess, the Han Solo-type rogue leader, the clunky robots — but it actually reminded me more of Starcrash (1979) and Dune (1984).

It reminds me of Starcrash because it's kind of an Americanized, slicker, more expensive version of that cheesy, all-over-the-place space adventure, and it's similar to Dune because it has a lot of the same elements — the gross crap and the whole theme of a corrupt royalty vs. the destitute good (sort of) guys.

Seeing those royal guys and their knights in outer space was kind of a weird trip. The robots in this one are pretty funny.

___

The thing is, until I watched this again, I barely remembered any of it (a DVD was released about 4 years ago but — oh, no — another time warp? ). I recalled a bit about that automated castration factory (how could I forget it?), and I remembered Angelica Huston slicing that guy (I knew of the scene, but didn't realize it was in this film until I watched it again), and I remembered some of the time warp stuff near the end. That was it. The rest of the film was like new to me.

___

So, if you haven't seen this, it's not bad for a first viewing. You kind of wonder what's gonna happen next as the locale changes drastically every 10 minutes or so.

And how could I forget the space herpie — space herpes? space herpe? Now that was a funny set of scenes. Gross, but funny. That was a take-off on Alien (1979), I suppose. The funniest scene is when Urich mumbles "space herpie" almolst unintelligibly. Good comic acting. When that little thing went across the table at Mary Crosby, I thought for a second that . . . but no, they wouldn't dare.

____________ Space Herpe - Ice Pirates (1984)

BoG
Galaxy Overlord Galactus
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has several interesting trivia items for this production. Very Happy

~ The film was intended to be a serious sci-fi film with a $20 million budget. MGM slashed the budget to $8 million and had the script rewritten as a comedy.

Note from me: I saw it when the movie waw first released, and I don't remember it being overly funny . . . but that's been 26 years.

~ After the pirates are captured, the spaceship approaches a domed city for landing. The same domed city sets were used in Logan's Run (1976).

Note from me: Well, in view of the fact that the studio sliced the original budget from 20 million to 8 million, the producer had to do stuff like that. Rolling Eyes

~ Kevin Costner turned down the role of Jason.

Note from me: This movie actually has a great cast, including Robert Urich (Vega$ (TV Series), Mary Crosby (who shot J.R. in Dallas, Anjelica Huston (The Addams Family), John Matuszak (Caveman, The Goonies), Ron Perlman (Beauty and the Beast), John Carradine, and Max von Sydow (in a cameo).

~ Jason is named after the title protagonist of the Greek mythology film Jason and the Argonauts (1963). The film is based off the ancient Greek myth of Jason and his crew of sailors as they set off on a quest to search for the Golden Fleece.

Note from me: It may have been "inspired" by Jason and the Argonauts, but it certain has nothing in common with it! Rolling Eyes

~ Kevin Costner, whom turned down the role of Jason, later starred in the post apocalyptic pirate flick Waterworld (1995).

Note from me: Ironic, ain't it! Kevin turned down a sci-fi movie about a water shortage in the galaxy, then he starred in a movie about Earth being covered in water. Very Happy

~ The theatrical trailer reveals that the 7th World is Earth, spoiling an important plot element.

Note from me: Apparently the Ice Pirates find Earth — with plenty of water — and they refer to it as the 7th World because they start counting from the outermost planet (which used to be Pluto). So, Earth is the seventh one. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: