ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Night of the Creeps (1986)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bogmeister
Galactic Fleet Vice Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject: Night of the Creeps (1986) Reply with quote

___________Night of the Creeps (1986) - Trailer

_

This one begins with an odd flashback of sorts (even though it's the 1st scene) in 1959, hinting at a connection to the old fright flics from the fifties.

Something from outer space lands nearby a young couple necking in their car. The guy gets an alien slug in his mouth while the chick gets hacked to death with an ax by a roving maniac.

Oh-ka-a-ay . . . Shocked

Cut to a college campus in 1986. For some reason, the guy with an alien slug has been kept in cryogenic stasis in a science lab there. Two of the main characters — local college dweebs — free the frozen dude and the plot soon becomes clear; people get a slug or slugs inside them, then they turn briefly into zombies, and finally they collapse as their heads split open, dispensing more slugs into the area.

The other main character is a detective (Tom Atkins) who was a rookie cop when the 1959 incident happened.

___

This is a flawed parody of the sci-fi/horror staple in films, as well as an homage, combining gross creatures from outer space, zombie threats, and even psycho killers. The flaw has to do with most of the actors, who (other than Atkins) are little more than inexperienced amateurs. However, these amateurs are not out of place here, since most films of this nature are filled with amateur theatrics.

The girls are very cute, especially the main role played by Jill Whitlow. What I thought was clever is how the subplot of a psycho killer is eventually meshed with the larger plot of alien parasites. In the early scenes there didn't seem to be any connection, and it appeared to be arbitrary. Dick Miller pops up as the cop in charge of an armory, similar to his role in The Terminator (84).

Overall, this is an amusing version of the usual gross shenanigans about alien invasion.

BoG's Score: 5.5 out of 10

BoG
Galaxy Overlord Galactus
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

__________ Night of the Creeps - Trailer (1986)

IMDB has several interesting trivia items for this production. Very Happy

~ All the last names of the main characters are based on famous horror and sci-fi directors: George A. Romero (Chris Romero), John Carpenter and Tobe Hooper (James Carpenter Hooper), David Cronenberg (Cynthia Cronenberg), James Cameron (Det. Ray Cameron), John Landis (Det. Landis), Sam Raimi (Sgt. Raimi) and Steve Miner (Mr. Miner - The Janitor).

Note from me: That's a clever way honor these Hollywood greats and to tickle the funny bones of the audience.

~ Grafitti on the wall of the men's room where J.C. is trying to escape a number of slugs reads, "Go Monster Squad!". The Monster Squad (1987) was also directed by Fred Dekker.

Note from me: Hey, I love that movie! I've got the Blu-ray. And the director of that movie is the writer and director of this one! Very Happy

~ The movie the house mother is watching on TV is Plan 9 from Outer Space (1957).

Note from me: Ah yes, the most famous "rotten movie" of all time!

~ "Corman University" is a reference to director/producer Roger Corman.

Note from me: This film is packed with "in jokes".

~ J.C. is the only person who speaks after being infected by the slugs. Everyone else is zombified as soon as they're infected, as their brains are used for incubation.

Note from me: Ouch! That's a gruesome idea! Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: