ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Changes are coming to All Sci-Fi!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Changes are coming to All Sci-Fi! Reply with quote

Our web host, Dreamhost, has been telling me since January (when we first moved All Sci-Fi to their service) that we needed to update our old PHP software before they do an update on their servers.

They've told me that their update might crash the board if our software isn't current.

I know our PHP software update will change the look of the board (something I don't really want to do), but I'm not sure how MUCH it will change. Raj Patel, my tech-savy friend, is going to try to update All Sci-Fi this weekend. Dreamhost told me today that their own update is imminent, so I'm desperately hoping Raj will get the job done by Monday.

However, the "worst case scenario" is not a catastrophe. Here's what might happen.

(1)The Dreamhost update will happen before Raj is finished.

(2) All Sci-Fi is wrecked by the change and goes offline for a few days.

(3) Raj installs the updated version of our software on the Dreamhost server and then he reinstalls a copy of our database . . . which will be fairly recently, because I'll be making a new backup every 12 hours or so, starting today. (I've been doing it once a day for months). Very Happy

I'm hoping the familiar look of the board won't change much, but if it does, I'm sure we'll all adapt to it fairly quickly. Very Happy

But I promise you this; All Sci-Fi will not cease to exist, nor will we loose more than a few hours of data. I'd recommend starting a file right now and putting a copy of each post in it until the update is behind us. We might not need the copies, but it would be nice to have them, just in case.

Thanks for your patience and loyalty, guys. Cool

Bud

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news! Very Happy

Dreamhost explained to me exactly what I had to do to keep All Sci-Fi exactly as it is now!

By moving it to a "dedicated server", All Sci-Fi is able to retain it's "vintage" software and not have to convert to something new \which (trust me, guys) we would not like.

I know this because the old board (2007 to 2014) was forced to update the software back around 2010, and the members absolutely hated the way it changed the board. I sent the web host several messages telling them that we did NOT want the update, and they finally agreed to leave it the way it is now.

Anyway, All Sci-Fi has survived yet another attempt to change-or-destroy it, thanks to the heroic effects of your brave site admin!

Bud__
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Contact All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: