ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Next Star Trek Movie (?)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek Movies and related subjects
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: The Next Star Trek Movie (?) Reply with quote

From https://variety.com/2019/film/news/noah-hawley-star-trek-1203409795/

Fargo and Legion creator Noah Hawley has been tapped to write and direct the next installment of the Star Trek franchise, sources tell Variety.

Though plot details are being kept under wraps, sources tell Variety the next Star Trek is expected to see Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Karl Urban and Zoe Saldana returning to man the U.S.S. Enterprise.

J.J. Abrams’ Bad Robot will return to produce, with Hawley also producing through his 26 Keys production banner.

This will serve as the fourth movie in the cinematic series, and is separate from another Star Trek pic that Paramount is developing with Quentin Tarantino producing and Mark L. Smith writing.

The studio had tried to launch the fourth film last year, with S.J. Clarkson directing and Chris Hemsworth joining the cast to reprise the role of Pine’s father. That film was shelved when deals could not be reached, but the studio is hoping that this attempt will be more successful, with a different plot than the one Hemsworth turned down.

Hawley made his feature film directorial debut on Lucy in the Sky, which premiered at the Toronto Film Festival and stars Natalie Portman and Jon Hamm. He is repped by CAA.

Deadline Hollywood first reported the news.

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Miss Eadie! We rely on you to keep us informed about the newest developments in the Sci-Fi entertainment industry!

Thanks to you, East Coast hayseeds like me can join the "in crowd" at the big social events in our areas, without asking foolish questions when the subject of the conversation turns to the latest news from Tinseltown. Cool

Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject: Bad News About Tarantino's R-rated Star Trek Movie Reply with quote

Quentin Tarantino ‘Steering Away’ From Star Trek in Favor of Smaller Final Movie

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/12/quentin-tarantino-leaving-star-trek-smaller-final-movie-1202197646/

Is Quentin Tarantino leaving Star Trek behind? The director has been attached to an R-rated Star Trek movie for well over a year now, but in a new interview with Consequence of Sound he casts some doubt on whether or not he’ll move forward as the project’s director. Tarantino is committing to his 10-film plan before retiring from feature film making, which means he only has one movie left. “I think I’m steering away from Star Trek,” Tarantino said, adding that he has not had any official conversations with Paramount Pictures about his involvement.

Tarantino successfully pitched an R-rated Star Trek to producer J.J. Abrams and Paramount in December 2017. The studio brought in The Revenant screenwriter Mark L. Smith to work on the screenplay while Tarantino began production on Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. Tarantino said earlier this year he would return to punch up the Star Trek script after his Once Upon A Time In Hollywood press tour wrapped, and then he would make a decision as to whether or not he would direct the Star Trek film. The filmmaker told /Film in May that helming “Star Trek" was “a very big possibility,” but flash forward a few months and it seems like Tarantino doesn’t want his 10th and final film to be something as massive as Star Trek.

“In a strange way, it seems like (Once Upon A Time In Hollywood) would be my last. So, I’ve kind of taken the pressure off myself to make that last big voilà kind of statement,” Tarantino told Consequence of Sound. “I mean to such a degree there was a moment when I was writing and went, ‘Should I do this now? Should I do something else? Is this the 10th one?’ No, no don’t stop the planets from aligning, what are you, Galactus? If the Earth is saying do it, do it But in a weird way, it actually kind of freed me up. I mean, I have no idea what the story of the next one’s going to be. I don’t even have a clue.”

Tarantino added, “One of the things that Once Upon A Time In Hollywood has done is that it has made me feel like I’ve made my big statement on Hollywood and that there is the accumulation of a career, accumulation of my interest, accumulation of the filmography. If the idea that all the films are a boxcar and it’s all one train, they’re all telling one story. Well, this is the climax, so I can actually see now my 10th movie probably being a little smaller.”

The filmmaker reiterated an idea he revealed earlier this year by saying he sees his final movie as more of an “epilogue” to his career than a climax. “You know, an author’s note,” the director said. “And look, I might come up with a really big idea. But right now, the idea of a smaller audience almost all the way around is appealing to me.”

Tarantino’s Once Upon A Time In Hollywood has been one of the top contenders this Oscar season, picking up nominations from major guilds and earning a Best Picture and Best Director nomination from the Golden Globes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek Movies and related subjects All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: