ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stargirl (CW 2020)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Stargirl (CW 2020) Reply with quote

DC Universe Series Stargirl to Air Episodes on CW Day After Streaming Debut

From: https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/dc-universe-stargirl-cw-1203412021/

The CW and DC Universe are teaming up for the upcoming live-action series Stargirl.

The CW will broadcast each episode of the series the day after its debut on the streaming service, with new episodes dropping weekly. In addition, every episode will be available to stream on The CW’s digital platforms following the linear broadcast. After the season finale, the full season will be available on The CW’s digital platforms as well. The series does not currently have a premiere date, but has been slated to debut in the second quarter of 2020.

This is not the first time it has been announced that a DCU series would run on another platform. It was announced earlier this year that Doom Patrol’s second season would air on both DCU and HBO Max, with the first season also becoming available on HBO Max once Season 2 begins. The move also brings Stargirl alongside other DC-based shows that currently air on CW, including The Flash and Batwoman.

Stargirl follows high school sophomore Courtney Whitmore (Brec Bassinger) as she inspires an unlikely group of young heroes to stop the villains of the past. It also stars Luke Wilson, Amy Smart, Trae Romano, Cameron Gellman, Yvette Monreal, Anjelika Washington, Meg DeLacy, Neil Jackson, Jake Austin Walker, Christopher James Baker and Hunter Sansone.

Geoff Johns and Melissa Carter serve as co-showrunners and executive producers. Greg Berlanti and Sarah Schechter of Berlanti Productions also executive produce. It is based on the characters from DC created by Johns. The series is produced by Berlanti Productions and Mad Ghost Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television.

Wikipedia™: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stargirl_(TV_series)

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the fact that the CW will broadcast the episodes after they've streamed them. That gives folks like me who aren't real familiar with how to stream this stuff to see them in the old fashioned way . . . on a TV station. Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The official trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp5Xv7QcgkM&feature=emb_logo

Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Official trailer #2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=10&v=Bp5Xv7QcgkM&feature=emb_logo

Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Premiere Date

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/stargirl-dc-universe-premiere-date-1203524013/

Stargirl has an official premiere date on DC Universe.

The live action DC Comics series will debut May 11 on the streaming service. It will then air on The CW on May 12, as it was previously announced that each episode of the series would run on the broadcaster the day after its streaming debut. New episodes will drop weekly, with DC Universe subscribers getting additional exclusive offerings pegged to the show. In addition, every episode will be available to stream on The CW’s digital platforms following the linear broadcast. After the season finale, the full season will be available on The CW’s digital platforms as well.

Stargirl follows high school sophomore Courtney Whitmore (Brec Bassinger) as she moves to Blue Valley, Nebraska after her mother remarries Pat Dugan (Luke Wilson). There, she inspires an unlikely group of young heroes to stop the villains of the past. It also stars Amy Smart, Trae Romano, Cameron Gellman, Yvette Monreal, Anjelika Washington, Meg DeLacy, Neil Jackson, Jake Austin Walker, Christopher James Baker and Hunter Sansone.

Geoff Johns created the comic book series and serves as co-showrunner and executive producer along with Melissa Carter. Greg Berlanti and Sarah Schechter of Berlanti Productions also executive produce. It is based on the characters from DC created by Johns. The series is produced by Berlanti Productions and Mad Ghost Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television.

This is not the first time it has been announced that a DCU series would run on another platform. It was announced last year that Doom Patrol’s second season would air on both DCU and HBO Max, with the first season also becoming available on HBO Max once Season 2 begins. The move also brings Stargirl alongside other DC-based shows that currently air on CW, including The Flash and Batwoman.

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you, Bud, this streaming stuff is just getting out of hand.

I purchased the new TV Guide which is announcing all the upcoming spring shows. However, so much of it seems to be for HBO, Hulu, Starz, CBS Access and numerous other things which I do not get.

Frustrating.

Nowadays before I read in the TVG about an upcoming show I make sure to first check out if the production is actually on a network or cable station I already have before getting all excited about it and then discovering it's not on any of the channels currently available to me.

The only reason I've been able to view the Lost In Space reboot (which I find excellent)is an amigo of mine lent me his dvds for the show since it airs on a service I do not have.

Next up he's lending me Star Trek: Discovery dvds.

I realize that the series has come under a lot of fire. I've watched the trailers and brief scenes on Youtube and am astounded at the movie quality sets as well as visual FX.

So if the premise doesn't grab me at least the lavish looking first rate production values will be fantastic.
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two trailers are no longer available. Here is the 1st replacement trailer Destiny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SWhPT09EyU

(With links to additional trailers.)

Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Trailer Reveals a Modern-Day Update on the Justice Society of America

https://collider.com/new-stargirl-trailer/

Warner Bros. TV has released the final trailer for DC’s Stargirl, the dazzling DC Comics series headed to both DC Universe and the CW. Created by Geoff Johns the series stars Brec Bassinger as Courtney Whitmore, a high school sophomore who stumbles upon the mysterious Cosmic Staff, formerly held by Justice Society of America leader Starman (Joel McHale).

The new trailer gives a glimpse at the ways the show will re-imagine the JSA, which is one of the OG superhero team-ups of comic book history. I’ve seen the first few episodes of DC’s Stargirl, and rest assured this thing is a darn delight, packed with early Steven Spielberg vibes and a ton of heart. Alongside Bassinger, the show also stars Luke Wilson, Amy Smart, Christopher James Baker, and Trae Romano.

Stargirl debuts on DC Universe on May 1, 2020 and The CW on May 19, 2020.

Here is the official synopsis for Stargirl:

From original creator and comic book writer Geoff Johns (executive producer of Titans, Arrow, Batwoman, and The Flash), DC’s Stargirl follows high school sophomore Courtney Whitmore (Brec Bassinger) as she moves to Blue Valley, Nebraska after her mother remarries Pat Dugan (Luke Wilson) and inspires an unlikely group of young heroes to stop the villains of the past. The live-action superhero drama reimagines the 1999 Stargirl comics and the very first superhero team, the Justice Society of America, in an unpredictable series. DC’s Stargirl is lovingly inspired by Johns’ late sister, who was killed in a plane accident.

Yrailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzubrwDLOuM&feature=emb_logo

Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Review: DC’s Latest Is an Amblin-esque Delight

https://collider.com/stargirl-review-the-cw-dc-universe/

by Vinnie Mancuso May 18, 2020

The character of Courtney Whitmore is an intensely personal one to Geoff Johns, who modeled the girl who would become Stargirl on the younger sister who died in the TWA flight 800 disaster of 1996. That’s a downer way to start a review for a show that, I promise you, is a genuine delight, but it’s important to know why this character was created and what she was always supposed to be: A (literal) shining beacon of positivity in the darkest of times. As Johns wrote in a letter sent along with episodes of Stargirl, “It is her spirit and optimistic energy that I wanted to put back in the world.”

True to that word, Stargirl — which Johns developed alongside Arrow-verse architect Greg Berlanti —i s one of the most purely joyous things to come from DC in years. Debuting on both DC Universe and the CW, the series soars thanks to both a boundless sense of discovery and a glossy cinematography that wouldn’t feel out of place in the most hopeful Amblin Entertainment romps. Not even plot-wise, just real Back to the Future meets E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial vibes all over the place, the kind you’ll recognize from the most nostalgic part of your brain when you see it. (There’s at least one shot that seems like a direct visual reference to E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, but I’ll leave that for spoilers.) It’s the CW‘s earnest cheese on a bigger WB budget, cynics need not apply.
stargirl-image-3

Up front in a pitch-perfect bit of casting is Brec Bassinger (47 Meters Down: Uncaged) as Courtney Whitmore, a high-schooler who is whisked away from California to the unbearably small town of Blue Valley, Nebraska. Courtney can’t connect to her mother’s (Amy Smart) new husband Pat Dugan (Luke Wilson), until she discovers Pat was once “Stripesy”, side-kick to the Justice Society of America’s Starman (Joel McHale). One late-night snoop later and Courtney cracks open a crate in the basement containing the Cosmic Staff, a mystical club with a mind of its own. The Staff hasn’t worked for anyone other than Starman until Courtney touches it, and the resulting glow is bright enough to track the surviving members of the Injustice Society of America, a crew of supervillains in desperate need of a better marketing department.

Story-wise, Stargirl isn’t breaking many molds; the villains introduced in the first three episodes are mostly indistinguishable from a lot of the Arrowverse’s rogues gallery, and the drama between a freshly-moved teen and their step-parent is a tale as old as time. But a lot of the charm comes straight from the cast. Luke Wilson was put on this Earth to play a corny step-father who is just Doing His Best, while Bassinger is an inarguable star. She makes the show; it’s a performance where you can track the character’s progression from fish-out-of-water to bonafide hero just from the way Bassinger carries herself.

And, again, there is definitely a Cheese Factor that some might find hard to swallow. Courtney discovers the Cosmic Staff has the ability to float untouched in the air and immediately decides to do a gymnastics routine on it, which isn’t where my mind would go, personally. So it’s strange that, as I watched those first three episodes, the DC property I kept coming back to was Man of Steel, a film that’s about as interested in pure joy as Superman is in buying a Peloton. But amid that slog is a single scene I count among my favorites, the moment Clark Kent shakily discovers he can fly over the Alaskan wilderness and Henry Cavill‘s performance is half-terror, half-wonder, a small-town boy experiencing the impossible.

That feeling is melted into its shiniest form and infused into every scene of Stargirl. It’s not the best DC Universe show, or the weirdest, or the most dramatic. But dang, it made me the happiest, and at a time when things are pretty freaking grim, I appreciate any light bright enough to break through the clouds.

Rating: ★★★ Good

Stargirl debuts on DC Universe on May 18 and The CW on May 19.

(Note: The episodes I watched for review were DC Universe versions. The CW episodes will be “slightly different from DCU’s version as they have been edited to time for broadcast viewing.”)

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miss Eadie, I salute your admirable ability to copy-and-paste a beautifully crafted article and skillfully reformat it to look just perfect on All Sci-Fi

In fact, your versions of the articles look better than they do on the original sources! Very Happy

Plus, you always include the link to the original article so that nobody mistakenly thinks the material was written by you! That's exactly what respectable writers always do.

You are a credit to All Sci-Fi, and we appreciate both your contributions to the board and your artistic integrity. Very Happy

Bud

Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you kind sir. You are a great teacher! (During my "I am bored time!" I'm going to go to all my posts and re-format to the new size standard.)
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! Very Happy

Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone watch the pilot/first episode? I did and loved it! From Wikipedia™ :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stargirl_(TV_series)

Stargirl premiered on May 18, 2020, and will consist of 13 episodes. The series will also air the following day on The CW, as well as be available on The CW's digital platforms. Ahead of the series premiere, characters from the series were featured in the Arrowverse crossover Crisis on Infinite Earths, establishing Stargirl as existing on a parallel Earth to the Arrowverse series.

Main Cast and Characters

Brec Bassinger as Courtney Whitmore / Stargirl:
A high school sophomore who discovers a powerful cosmic staff and becomes the hero Stargirl.[1] She is the leader of the new Justice Society of America.[2] Bassinger did not look at the previous portrayals of the character by Britt Irvin on Smallville or Sarah Grey on Legends of Tomorrow because they were depicted as "older, more mature version[s]" of Stargirl. Bassinger added the series followed the comic Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E. more "in that she's young, high school, naive, which I wanted to bring that into this version of Stargirl."

Yvette Monreal as Yolanda Montez / Wildcat: One of Courtney's friends who becomes a member of the new Justice Society of America.

Anjelika Washington as Beth Chapel / Doctor Mid-Nite: One of Courtney's friends who becomes a member of the new Justice Society of America.

Cameron Gellman as Rick Tyler / Hourman: One of Courtney's friends who becomes a member of the new Justice Society of America.

Trae Romano as Mike Dugan: Pat Dugan's son and Courtney's stepbrother.

Jake Austin Walker as Henry King Jr.: A student at Blue Valley High.

Meg DeLacy as Cindy Burman: The daughter of Dragon King and the most popular student at Blue Valley High who is determined to follow in her father's footsteps.

Neil Jackson as Jordan Mahkent / Icicle: A member of the Injustice Society with cryokinesis.

Christopher James Baker as Henry King Sr. / Brainwave: A telekinetic member of the Injustice Society and the father of Henry King Jr..

Amy Smart as Barbara Whitmore: Courtney's mother and wife of Pat Dugan striving to balance her work and home life.

Luke Wilson as Pat Dugan / S.T.R.I.P.E.:

Courtney's stepfather, the former sidekick to Starman (when he was known as Stripesy), and a mechanic who pilots a 15-foot robot of his own creation. He is a member of the new Justice Society of America.

Recurring Cast

Joel McHale as Sylvester Pemberton / Starman: A member of the original Justice Society of America who used an anti-gravity cosmic staff that Courtney finds.

Lou Ferrigno, Jr. as Rex Tyler / Hourman: A member of the original Justice Society of America and the father of Rick Tyler who is "a master chemist and adrenaline junkie" with the ability to acquire super-strength for one hour a day.

Brian Stapf as Ted Grant / Wildcat: A member of the original Justice Society of America, who is a former heavyweight boxer.

Henry Thomas as Charles McNider / Doctor Mid-Nite: A member of the original Justice Society of America, who is a detective and a brilliant and forward-thinking medical pioneer.

Hunter Sansone as Cameron: A student at Blue Valley High.

Joy Osmanski as Paula Brooks / Tigress: A member of the Injustice Society who hunts the world's most dangerous humans. Outside of her identity, she is a gym teacher at Blue Valley High.

Neil Hopkins as Lawrence "Crusher" Crock / Sportsmaster: A member of the Injustice Society who wields sports-themed weapons and feels all of his targets are part of a game to win.

Nelson Lee as Dr. Ito / Dragon King: A member of the Injustice Society and a controversial scientist who hides his face and experiments on himself and his patients.

Stella Smith as Artemis Crock

Episodes

The Coming of Stargirl (Pilot)

S.T.R.I.P.E.

Icicle

Wildcat

Hourman and Dr. Mid-Nite

Brainwave

Brainwave, Jr.

Justice Society Of America

Shiv Part One

Shiv Part Two

Stars & S.T.R.I.P.E. Part One

Stars & S.T.R.I.P.E. Part Two

[I know that there is only twelve in the list — Eadie.]

Technical Specs

Episode Runtime: 45 min
Sound Mix: Stereo
Aspect Ratio: 2.20:1
Camera: Sony Venice
Cinematographic Process: Sony Raw 4K

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched it tonight and it was TERRIFIC!

Has to be one of the best of the bunch of CW shows.

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found SG entertaining last night with its fine cast and terrific visual FX.

SPOILER : I am dismayed that the character that appears to be a major villain knows that Courtney possess the Cosmic Staff.

If he knows that but won't attempt to kill her or her family, it'll come off as unbelievable to me.

They'd have to create a sound explanation as to just why such a ruthless foe would not strike at Courtney and her family when their guard is down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: