ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

School of Rock (2003)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: School of Rock (2003) Reply with quote

Don't expect a straight review, this is MY interpretation of the story-line.

Jack Black is a slacker who gets kicked out of his rock band. To earn money he assumes the identity of his best friend, a substitute teacher, and goes to assume the job his friend was offered.

The job is at a prestigious prep school. The school staff do ABSOLUTELY NO background checks and he is hired. So much for being a prestigious school.

JB immediately begins ignoring and violating the schools tenets, the curriculum, and the children's parents wishes, and forms the kids into a rock band.

He eventually gets found out, fired, but takes them to a band contest, opening himself to multiple kidnapping charges, making the school, the bus driver, and the staff accessories.

The movie ends well, fade to black...until these rich parents start thinking about what happened.

My story-line for School of rock II.

Twenty years have passed. JB is released from prison for multiple counts of kidnapping. The school has been sued into nonexistence by the children's wealthy families. The school administration and some of the staff were sued into oblivion by the parents. JB is still facing MASSIVE civil suits. Because he used his identity, JB's friend has lost his teaching credentials, and just having avoided prison time as an accessory, is working in a greasy spoon joint.

The wounded parties, staff, parents, some of the former children now grown, finding out about JB's release from prison, band together and go hunting.

Hilarious attempts at bloody homicide ensue.

The movie ends with JB's charred, mutilated corpse being buried in a shallow grave, covered in a couple of bags of quick lime.

No one ever goes looking for JB, and everyone lives happily ever after.

Anyone care to venture a guess at how I feel about this movie and JB's character. Mr. Green

David.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope I haven't misinterpret your message, David, but it seems your not a fan of this movie. Confused

I haven't seen it, but I'll state for the record that I'm not really a fan of Jack Black. It's not because I think he's a bad guy, but he's played a few characters which I didn't care for.

For example, in Shallow Hal he played a guy who judged all women solely be their looks. The movie had a good message concerning the need for men to NOT judge women solely by their looks, but the story ends with Jack's character being hopelessly in love with a seriously obese woman and treating her as it she was drop-dead gorgeous.

It just didn't work. It made poor Jack seem insane instead of just shallow.

And then there's Jack's regrettable portrayal of the noble Carl Denham in Peter Jackson's version of King Kong. Jack played him as "Shallow Carl, the Smarmy Filmmaker" . . . and I hated it.

I've seen bits and pieces of Jack Black's other movies, and I was NOT impressed. So, his role in School of Rock sounds par for the course. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The movie was based on a MUCH better musical both in conception and performance. It was, as most Broadway mucicals are, conceived as FANTASIES...With little regard to the realities of morality or legality. Take it as it is....and quickly forget everything but the kool music!
Krel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Gord, I'm sticking with my views on this film. Some things just can't be ignored.

Bud, I have seen three movies with Jack Black. First "Mars Attacks", his best role, as he get incinerated without much screen time.

Second was "School of Rock". Whenever I would babysit my niece and nephew they would watch the movie. Over and over again. I quickly got over saturated with this film, and it formed my views on this movie, as I slowly realized what a horrible situation it was.

The third was that craptacular remake of "King Kong". He played a truly horrible and despicable person. I turned the movie off after they gassed Kong. I found the movie unwatchable, it really needed a good, ruthless editor, as some scenes just went on and on and on. Some of the CGI effects were video game quality too. At the time, I felt that if they were going to do Carl Denham like in the original film, then Kevin Spacey would have been the perfect choice.

So far I have successfully avoided any other films he is in.

So, no I am not a Jack Black fan.

David.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
Bud, I have seen three movies with Jack Black. First "Mars Attacks", his best role, as he get incinerated without much screen time.

Laughing____Laughing____Laughing____Laughing____Laughing____Laughing____Laughing____Laughing____Laughing____Laughing____Laughing____Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: