ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gear in SF movies & TV shows.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Discussions in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject: Gear in SF movies & TV shows. Reply with quote

I think about this periodically. Have you ever noticed that explores in SF movies and TV shows are under equipped? They go exploring from their ships, in ship uniforms with no special boots, or clothing. Spaceships are climate controlled, you would wear lighter clothing and footwear, than in a wilderness.

They never wear wilderness clothing, gear belts, have backpacks, canteens, binoculars, knives or machetes. Nothing an exploration party would have.

The only TV show i can think of that was equipped realistically was the first Stargate series.

"Forbidden Planet" showed other devices on their gear belts, and were reasonably equipped for the situation. In one "Star Trek" episode, where they got stranded, they mentioned having emergency rations. Although I have no idea where they kept them. In some cheap of the 50's SF movies, the explores were equipped. But modern movies and TV shows seem to ignore it, probably for budget reasons. But it does tend to take me out of the situation.

And don't get me started on wandering off from your shuttle and leaving the hatch opened, where anything could wander in and setup house.

Can anyone think of a movie or TV show that I might have missed?

David.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good observation, David.

Gene Roddenberry addressed this somewhat in his very first pilot for Star Trek. "The Cage" had the Enterprise crew beam down to a planet dressed in a gray field jacket over their uniforms.

At least one member was carrying a large container with shoulder straps.

No Tricorders as they had not been created yet. Early versions of a Communicator and Laser(later Phaser) pistol.

Once the weekly series was underway we never saw either the gray jackets or container ever again supporting your observation.

Do TV shows fall into this lack of equipment due to the expense of creating it all since it would have to appear futuristic? Could it be a case of not weighing the leads down with lots of props?

However,your original point is correct in that such explorations with only a minimum of gear is unrealistic.

I would also add that in a number of sci~fi films & TV shows the fact that their devices would have one or few capabilities.

On Star Trek:TOS their Communicators could contact the ship,and one another.It could also act as a beacon for the individual carrying the Communicator. And that was pretty much it.

When you consider the many multiple operations our cell phones today can perform it makes the Communicator look very limited by comparison.
At least their Tricorders were clever and could do much more than one thing.

The Commlock on Space:1999 also performed a number of limited functions.

Given what our tech today in the 21st century is capable of it seems funny to watch those futuristic based TV shows where we'd see one tool perform only one or two functions.
Krel

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:

Gene Roddenberry addressed this somewhat in his very first pilot for Star Trek. "The Cage" had the Enterprise crew beam down to a planet dressed in a gray field jacket over their uniforms.

Once the weekly series was underway we never saw either the gray jackets or container ever again supporting your observation.

I can't remember where, but a few months ago I read a small discussion of the jackets, and why they never made another appearance. The thought is that the jackets were not made of cloth, maybe carpet foam, and so were not that durable. The Jackets were certainly stiffer than fabric and didn't look like cloth, and not being that durable would explain why, despite the cost of manufacture, they never made another appearance in the show.

The costume designer used to pick the cloth for costumes by how unusual they were so they didn't look contemporary. How do you find cloth that doesn't look contemporary? His advice was to look at the back of the cloth.

The gear harnesses they wore under the jackets in the pilot were modified WWII British paratrooper harnesses.

David.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The uniforms in The Cage are not very impressive. They were improved significantly when the show "rebooted" after the pilot.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Discussions in General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: