ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Lone Ranger (1949 –1957)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> TV Shows in Other Genres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:13 pm    Post subject: The Lone Ranger (1949 –1957) Reply with quote

The recent changes I made in my DISH package gave me access to channels like FETV, FOLKS, METV, and the COWBOY channel — all of which have allowed me to reconnect with my lifelong love for The Lone Ranger series.

I already owned a few DVDs of this great series, including the two Technicolor theatrical features released in the late 1950s, but the few DVDs I own only include about 17 of the 221 total episodes of this great show!

However, today I received my two box sets of seasons 1 and 2, which include 78 episodes. Unfortunately, Seasons 3, 4, and 5 are not available as individual box sets. Damn . . .

The 17 episodes on my older DVDs are from season 1, but I now have all those on my new box sets, which mean they only provide 61 new episodes I didn't already have. Sad

Therefore I'm still in search of 143 episodes that aren't available on DVD . . . unless I buy the "complete series DVD set" — which is priced at almost $2,000! Shocked

As for this great show, the Lone Ranger and Tonto are two of the greatest crime fighters in cinematic history, and the portrayal of these two heroes by Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels is absolutely perfect! They demonstrate amazing bravery and intelligence in every story!

I loved this show as a kid in the 1950s, and it still thrills me now as a 71-year-old fan. I don't mean to sound disloyal to the Adventures of Superman, but this series still succeeds with this aging, life-long fan much better than Superman does.

If any of you guys enjoyed The Lone Ranger in the days of your tender youth, I highly recommend that you reconnect with this unique cinematic treasure.

It will make you feel young again!

The gorgeous YouTube video below of the very first episode will jump-start your young devotion to this unique hero in American culture. His "origin story" is the most dramatic and heroic of any superhero in history! Cool

_____ The Lone Ranger | Season 1 | Full Episodes

And here's an All Sci-Fi bonus feature — The Lone Ranger theme, aka the finale to the William Tell Overture, performed brilliantly by the Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra!

Nothing thrills me more than to watch the actual musicians creating beautiful music like this! It make me tingle all over. Very Happy

And I know damn well that every one of those musicians were thinking about The Lone Ranger during this performance. Wink

_______________ William Tell Overture Finale

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always had a special love of the Lone Ranger.

He was created by Fran Stiker here in my native hometown of Buffalo NY.

From Wikipedia : With some of my own comments:

"Late in 1932, Striker began working on The Lone Ranger; his earliest scripts were largely reworked from his earlier series Covered Wagon Days. A letter from Trendle dated Monday, January 30, 1933, clearly gives Striker credit for creating the character. However, by 1934 Striker was pressured by Trendle to sign over his rights to the Lone Ranger, and Trendle claimed credit as the creator. This sparked a long-term controversy over the creation of The Lone Ranger."

The actual first trial episodes of The Lone Ranger were broadcast on WEBR in Buffalo prior to the official premiere on WXYZ. These first broadcasts starred Buffalo actor John L. Barrett weeks before George Stenius (who later changed his name to George Seaton and became a film director) played the role. The best known radio actor to play the part was Brace Beemer.

Striker was extremely prolific. In addition to writing 156 Lone Ranger scripts a year, he wrote The Green Hornet (built around the Lone Ranger's descendant, Britt Reid) and a short-lived series, Ned Jordan Secret Agent.

He scripted various Lone Ranger novels, two movie serials, and The Lone Ranger comic strip. He also contributed scripts to Challenge of the Yukon (later adapted for television as Sergeant Preston of the Yukon).

Striker's work as a comic strip writer extended to writing The Green Hornet comic books and the 1945 newspaper strip The Sea Hound (based on The Adventures of the Sea Hound radio series that Striker contributed scripts to). He was also the author of the popular boy's adventure novels featuring "Tom Quest."

Striker's later work included stints on the television versions of The Lone Ranger and Sergeant Preston of the Yukon, which were initially being produced while the radio series were still on the air.

Striker was 59 when he died in a 1962 car accident in Elma, while moving with his wife and children. His final work was a historical novel, One More River, published posthumously.

Fran was interred at Arcade Rural Cemetery in Arcade. I have also visited his grave there as well as touring his cabin in Arcade NY.

His papers are in the archives of the University at Buffalo, my own Alma Mater.

Last edited by Gord Green on Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a wonderful post, Gord!

When can we watch a few episodes of The Long Ranger in All Sci-Fi's Chatzy room.

With my recent acquisition of the box sets for seasons 1 and 2, I won't need two older discs with 17 episode from season 1. I have several DVDs I've been meaning to send you, so I'll add those two disc to the package and send them all soon. Cool

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that the YouTube videos of this great series are the full-length versions, not the slightly edited-for-TV version that one Amazon customer warned the buyers of the DVD box sets about — the ones I bought! Sad

Episode one is above, and here's five more below.

The aspect of this series I love the most is the way Tonto and The Lone Ranger work as a team of detectives, uncovering evidence, drawing intelligent conclusions, and forming clever plans to outwit the villains!

This truly is a "thinking man's" Western series. Cool

The Lone Ranger | S01 E02 | The Lone Ranger Fights On

__ The Lone Ranger | S01 E03 | The Lone Ranger's Triumph

____ The Lone Ranger | S01 E04 | Legion of Old Timers

_____ The Lone Ranger | S01 E05 | Rustler's Hideout

_________ The Lone Ranger | S01 E06 | War Horse

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more episodes I watch from channels like FETV, FOLK, and the COWBOY channel, the more respect I have for this series. And I haven't even started watching the box sets of seasons 1 and 2 which I purchased recently. I'm still working my way through seasons 4 and 5 — the later of which was film in glorious color!

Season 3 is the one that didn't star Clayton Moore, and frankly they're unwatchable simply because poor John Hart was such a no-talent block of wood. Rolling Eyes

But all the Clayton Moore episodes are incredible! They're such a wonderful blend of complex story telling, high drama, and bare-faced hero worship, the kind only possible back in the optimistic era of the 1950s.

It amazes me that the two theatrical features which were made in the last few decades were such horribly misguided attempts to portray this wonderfully iconic character.

But this series — even after 70+ years — is still inspiring and extremely enjoyable.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the title, The Lone Ranger, is a misnomer, Bud, and rather insulting to Tonto.

TLR always had his buddy, confidant, and partner in Tonto on those dangerous adventures that they shared equally.

Have to say that Tonto's buckskin clothing was cool.

TLR wore what appeared to me like a one-piece spandex outfit which was very strange clothing in the west at that time for a rugged cowboy.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Respectfully, sir, The Lone Ranger refers to the fact that Texas Ranger John Reid was the only survivor of a brutal attack on a group of Texas Rangers who were ambushed and slaughtered by a gang of criminals who left them for dead. Sad

John Reid was rescued by an Indian who happened by and managed to save the only Texas Ranger who was not dead.

The first episode presents a flashback in which a young John Reid meets a young Tonto and treats his injuries after he was wounded during an attack on his village. John gives Tonto a ring, and Tonto wears it around his neck from that day forward to remember his Kemosabe, the "trusty scout" who showed him kindness in his hour need.

Years, later the two men recognized each other when Tonto rescued John Reid after the ambush.

Because of the dastardly ambush, John Reid decided to battle injustice without ever revealing that he was the one man — The Lone Ranger — who survived that despicable attack on a group of dedicated law enforcement officers who gave their lives in the service of law and order.

Tonto completely understood the reason The Lone Ranger decided to hide his identity and present himself as a legendary symbol of justice, law, and order, rather than just a man who had taken on the job as a peace officer.

The Lone Ranger knew that people are inspired by mysterious figures who seem to be more then mere men. And that's what The Lone Ranger dedicated his life to doing.
Surprised

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know well the history of the Lone Ranger and that the meaning is supposed to refer to his being the only survivor from the Butch Cavendish outlaw gang.

And yet at the end of every single episode they concluded with the people he & Tonto had helped with the famous line "Why that was the Lone Ranger."

Guess Tonto was not deemed worthy of mentioning despite his crucial participation in each episode.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By gum Powto, my faithful ASF companion, you are absolutely right! Shocked

However, have you noticed that many of the episodes include dialog by the characters who refer to the heroic duo as "Tonto and The Long Ranger". Tonto often gets first billing! Very Happy

However, the closing scene in practically every episode is obviously designed to have the last line delivered by a character who was in the story, and that character always includes the title of the series.

"Who was that masked man?"

"Why, EVERYBODY knows him! He's . . . The Lone Ranger!"

Pow, this really wasn't meant as an insult to Tonto or Jay Silverheels. It was just a holdover from the radio program that led into the TV series, the traditional way to end each episode and inspire the loyal audience to feel so good they would come back next week to enjoy the newest episode of the program!

I think you might be reading too much into the traditional closing line and interpreting it as a slight to the great character which Jay Silverheels created. Very Happy

It's just the way the series chose to end each episode. Nothing more.

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind THE LONE RANGER was a "mystery man" character....Few knew who he was or the secret of his backstory. Tonto was known...."He's Tonto, for God's sake!"
But The Ranger....???

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just joshing you about Tonto guys. And you both took it well and came back with valid points.

I'm in the minority as one of the few who actually enjoyed the Lord Lew Grade produced "Legend Of The Lone Ranger" that came out in the 80s.

The Disney LR was decimated by the critics. Deservedly so after I saw it.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow, we're all grateful for your admirable defense of both Jay Silverheels and Tonto, the beloved character he created. It gave us all a chance to examine the pros and cons of how he and other Native Americans were treated in this fine series.

I think the producers made frequent attempts to address the public injustices concerning Native Americans when they included scenes which showed white men insulting Tonto and other members of Native American tribes.

This series demonstrates a remarkable "political correctness" which is far beyond the social attitudes of the early 1950s!

This is just one more reason to respect this exceptional series. Very Happy

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud, TLR was simply a product of its era and for better or worse reflected the cultural attitudes at that time.

As you well know, you cannot really apply the standards of today to the standards of a bygone era.

TLR did a decent job of portraying Tonto as the Ranger's equal. Both saved one another in many episodes.

In another way the series did realistically reflect the terrible prejudices that American Indians truly suffered. Some episodes have not only the outlaws show disrespect for our Tonto but the very folks he's attempting to help also scorn him. Not a pretty sight but, sadly, often true in America.

I always respected the fact that Clayton Moore told how he and Jay became good friends and that he was an advocate for Jay in his role of Tonto.

Ironically, Van Williams would tell the same story about his relationship with his friend Bruce Lee on The Green Hornet TV series.

Van would often tell the script writers, producers, and directors that they should give Bruce's Kato character more screen time featuring his astonishing martial arts skills on the show.

The network was nervous about having an Asian man as one of the leads on a weekly TV series back then unfortunately.
They preferred that Kato be in the background as much as possible and with his mask on as often as possible.

America can be a very ignorant and unsophisticated nation at times.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The WORST Lone Ranger film!!!

The Lone Ranger was a 2003 attempt by The WB to revive the Lone Ranger franchise for a new generation.
Unfortunatly, it takes a great concept and completely screws it up.

The film, intended as a pilot for a new television series, starred Chad Michael Murray as the Lone Ranger (the name of the Ranger's secret identity was changed from "John Reid" to "Luke Hartman") and Nathaniel Arcand as his Native American companion Tonto.

This version takes a look at the character in the years before he became a legend. It all begins with the introduction of Luke Hartman, a 20-year-old Boston law student who witnesses the murder of his brother, a Texas Ranger.

He himself is wounded in the midst of the chaos, but is rescued by the Apache Tonto, and subsequently becomes smitten with Tonto's sister Alope.

He then devotes his life to avenging the death of his brother and fighting injustice, and in the process becoming a worldwide legend.

The show was met with mixed reviews, criticizing the changes to the characters, comedy and soundtrack, and the pilot didn't get picked up for a full series.
Be thankful for that!

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, you got that right GG.

I saw that when it was first broadcast and was terribly disappointed by this LR version.

They had Tonto performing martial arts moves like Caine did on "Kung Fu" for crying out loud!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> TV Shows in Other Genres All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: