ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Robby comes to live with Bud!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject: Robby comes to live with Bud! Reply with quote

Fellow All Sci-Fi members, be advised that Gord Green is an extremely kind and generous guy . . . and by God, I'll send my robots out to beat up anybody who says otherwise! Evil or Very Mad

To prove my statement, I offer the following photographic evidence, which shows the mantel over my fireplace. It includes the "walking Gort" which Gord sent me two Christmases ago.

And the now it also includes the "walking, talking, FP tonalities-playing, flashing light displaying" Robby — which arrived today!

Trust me, folks, these pictures don't do this amazing replica of Robby justice!

When I press one of the two buttons on Robby's chest, both his chest lights flash alternately and three sections of the gizmos under his dome flash while his voice tubes blaze with a brilliant blue-white glow! Shocked

And during all this, Robby speaks several lines of his dialog, recorded from the Forbidden Planet soundtrack!

But wait! There's more!

When I change the setting of a switch on his back and then press the chest button . . . he WALKS!

Furthermore, as he walks, all his lights flash, his head moves back and forth, and his torso moves from side to sdie in the opposite direction . . . all while he plays the two lines of dialog from the move and a segment of the Forbidden Planet tonalities . . . over and over again for as long as he keeps walking!

I should also mention that the arms are movable, the hands rotate, and the overall detail of this priceless item is incredible! Very Happy

But don't take my word for it, here's a fine video that shows off everything about this amazing device.

My advice to All Sci-Fi's members is to be very, very nice to Gord Green, try to get on this man's good side, and pray that next Christmas he'll absolutely "make your day" like he did mine on this rainy Wednesday in North Carolina by demonstrating just what a generous guy he can be. Cool

Robby the Robot 14” Action Figure with lights and sounds Unboxing and Review

Here's the other two pictures I took today and didn't use above. I just couldn't leave 'em out.

For the record, the things with the balls on either side of Robby and Gort spin constantly. That's why they're blurred in the last two pictures above. Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:37 pm; edited 4 times in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

I knew the moment I cast my eyes upon him that I knew at least one person who could appreciate him as well as I did!

Unfortunately I was outbid in the Bonhams' auction of the original Robby....and even the reproductions available through Hammecher Schlemmer and other sources were out of my price range.

This Walmart exclusive model sells out everywhere and those available on Ebay go for $50 to $100, so hang on to the box and he's sure to accrue in value!

But of course...His real value is in the joy he brings just looking and playing with him! And I'm so glad I could share him with a good friend!

Krel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People are reporting that the batteries die fast when walking. They appeared to have used a low grade battery that lasts only a few minutes of operation. People were thinking that their Robby was defective, until they changed the batteries.

David.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The included batteries are intended only to power the "Try It!" feature, and the instructions (on the bottom of the box) advise to replace them with alkaline AAs to run the walking feature. The lights and sound is so much better when you do this too.

Another thing...The box indicates it includes a "disintegrator pistol". It was intended to include one, but it was not able to pass American regulations as it could be a "Choking hazard". (All kids want to eat those darn things!).

Sort of the same thing that forced changes in Kenners Bobba Fett figure and various Battlestar Galactica vehicles in the 70's and 80's.

Last edited by Gord Green on Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazon lists it for $43.17 (currently only one left in stock), but Walmart has them listed at $19.87 (only 3 left at the store in my area.)

One of the Amazon reviews said to change the batteries right away because the ones in the Robby he bought had already started to corrode. Shocked

As for the box, I couldn't bring myself to toss it, so I stored it just in case I ever move again (which is doubtful), and wanted to pack Robby to protect him.

However, the box you mailed him in looks about the right size for all those DVDs I've replaced, thinking you'd enjoy some of them. Expect a very mixed bag, with a few good things and a lot of stuff you might like. Just toss the ones you don't want . . . and watch a few of the good ones with lil' ole me! Very Happy

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weather was warm and sunny today, so I took Robby out for a walk around my town home complex. Cool

Robby attracted the attention of several lovely ladies, and he brought smiles of joy to the faces of little children. (He also caused small dogs to bark incessantly until they had to be removed from the premises.) Rolling Eyes

During this joyous neighborhood event, I discovered that not only does Robby's head and torso move back and forth while he's walking — along with all his lights flashing — he also delivers a fourth "sound bite" besides the ones listed below. Shocked

"Welcome to Altair 4, gentlemen. I am to transport you to the residence."

"For your convenience, I am monitored to respond to the name Robby."

— and the brief segment of the opening title theme.

In addition to these, today I learned that he plays a few seconds of the the "shorting out" scene, and then his clackity clack reset noises after Morbius says, "Order cancelled."

Guys, this is an absolutely amazing replica of Robby! Very Happy

And I get a thrill just looking at him on my fireplace mantle every time I glance up above my television.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
The box indicates it includes a "disintegrator pistol". It was intended to include one, but it was not able to pass American regulations as it could be a "Choking hazard". (All kids want to eat those darn things!).

It's a shame the blaster couldn't be included. It looks perfectly shaped — although that orange color was a bad idea!

By the way, my local Walmart only has three left in stock, still priced at $19.87. Amazon is still selling them for $42.99 — and ironically enough, they say there's only three left in stock, too! Shocked

I think I know WHY Walmart is running out of these amazing toys. Currently eBay has listings for 137 of them — all described as "Brand New". I saw one for $25.00, but all the rest are priced higher, and some are as high as $69.00!

Obviously this Robby toy is being bought up in mass from Walmarts nation wide at the $19.87 price and then sold on eBay for a significant mark up! Shocked

If you guys haven't bought one of these yet, I recommend you hustle on down to Walmart and get one (or two . . .) while you still can. Cool

After all, if you buy two for $19.87 each and then sell one for
$30 on eBay with "free shipping', you'll get your own Robby for nothing . . . and make a small profit! Laughing

Oh, by the way . . . thanks AGAIN, Gord! Wink

Krel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to go to Wallyworld today. I didn't find what I was looking for, but I did find a Robby. I love the rotating agyro in the dome, too bad the 'ear' antenna don't turn.

I wonder how long it's going to take for the first lawsuit over the missing blaster to be filed. I can just see the argument: The box advertises a "disintegrator pistol" included, and one wasn't included. Crying or Very sad FALSE ADVERTISING! Evil or Very Mad

You know that somebody is going to file one. Laughing

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But . . . did you BUY one? Confused

If you didn't . . . WHY NOT? Shocked

Krel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, he came home with me. I was surprised at how large it is. I'm not going to be like that one guy that bought two. One to keep stock, that other he disassembled to paint and add a blue light to the voice grill.

David.
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
Had to go to Wallyworld today. I didn't find what I was looking for, but I did find a Robby. I love the rotating agyro in the dome, too bad the 'ear' antenna don't turn.

I wonder how long it's going to take for the first lawsuit over the missing blaster to be filed. I can just see the argument: The box advertises a "disintegrator pistol" included, and one wasn't included. Crying or Very sad FALSE ADVERTISING! Evil or Very Mad

You know that somebody is going to file one. Laughing

David.

Advertising , legally, is just an offer; NOT a promise.
Krel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eadie wrote:
Advertising , legally, is just an offer; NOT a promise.

It's listed as an included feature on the box. So not just advertising. Draw your own conclusion from there as to what some litigiously inclined individual would do.

David.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little bit of a backstory :

When I first saw pictures of the new Robby I thought it may be a re-issue of the Trendmaster edition from 1999 which I've had in my collection for 20 years. The box art is similar...

BUT....This one is 12 inches tall and the battery/sound is located in a control box and connected by a cable to the robot's body...

He also came with a disintegrater pistol and an after market one was available to purchase seperately.

The new Walmart edition is 15 inches tall and has better detail in the features and is much superior to the older one.

When I first began looking for Robby they were all sold out from my local Walmarts, so I bought one on Ebay for about $56. I later found two more had been restocked at my local store so I snatched two more of them! One I sent to my good buddy Bud...one I unboxed and have displayed right beside me and my Metaluna Mutant mask by my computer...The third I have on my display shelf with my collection of Robbys!

Of them all the new Walmart exclusive figure is the BEST!
If you get a chance to pick one up before they disappear again....DO IT! You won't be sorry!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
I love the rotating gyro in the dome, too bad the 'ear' antenna don't turn.

Bless my soul, at first I thought you were mistaken about the rotating gyro in the dome, but I checked mine and discovered that when he walks, it does indeed turn! Very Happy

I'm sure I noticed the gyro the few times I've made him walk, but since they don't turn when he just talks (which I make him do several time a day), I'd forgotten about the gyros. I was certainly delighted to find that you were right!

eBay update: The number of these Robby toys listed on eBay has gone up from 137 to 141. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Contact All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: