ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

R.I.P. Robert Conrad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Off-Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:41 pm    Post subject: R.I.P. Robert Conrad Reply with quote

Robert Conrad (Konrad Robert Falkowski) March 01,1935~February 08,2020 has died at the age of 84.

I am a huge fan of his steampunk western espionage TV series "The Wild Wild West" (1965~'69) which also co-starred the terrific Ross Martin.

James Bond on horseback was how the concept was pitched to the CBS network.

And just like the 007 films TWWW had a tough adept fighting secret agent, bigger than life villains, gadgets galore, and beautiful women.

Bob was very athletic and it showed on TWWW. He did 95% of his own stunts which is unheard of or allowed with lead actors on television shows. Should they be injured, or worse, the entire production could shut down or end.

Bob probably got away with it because by doing his own stunt work he saved the network $$$ by saving time for shooting.

Also, Conrad lived for the physical action on the series and he did them superbly.

The show got a bad rap due to its using the same stunt crew for each episode. That did not go over well with the Stuntman's Association that wanted all of their stunt people to be able to be hired for any show and not just a select few.

Conrad defended the decision saying that the stunt heavy Wild Wild West needed to have the exact same guys due to their being able to trust & know onr another.

To break in new people on every episode would take precious time for the weekly show.

With a crew that knew each other well and worked together like a sports team, it moved the show along at a brisk pace and resulted in fewer on set accidents.

From the wonderful opening animation & theme score to the exciting & fun episodes, TWWW was enormously fun and entertaining in its day and today just as well.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear that Mr. Conrad has passed way. I've been watchtin The Wild, Wild West on FETV lately, mostly because of the recommendations presented on All Sci-Fi.

Robert was talented, handsome, and likeable. The show is very enjoyable. Robert will be missed.

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud, what do you think about adding TWWW to the Sci~Fi TV section 1950~'69?

The show certainly had a ton of sci~fi gadgets & plots to it even though it was also a period western at the same time.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh hell yes! Shame on me for not doing this already! Shocked

I remember posting a modified picture of what I though Jim West's train — The Wander — should look like, and it took me a few minutes to realize that my post was in the thread about the movie version of The Wild, Wild West!

I'll kick off a thread for the TV series in the forum called Sci-Fi on Television from 1950 to 1969 and leave it to you to add as many knowledgeable posts about this great series as you can for us all to enjoy! Very Happy

Thank you so much for pointing out this grievous omission from All Sci-Fi's database!
Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Off-Topic Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: