ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nancy Drew (2019)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> TV Shows in Other Genres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject: Nancy Drew (2019) Reply with quote

Found this interesting bit of news today about a spin-off show from the CW's "Nancy Drew" TV series.

Wednesday, May 12: "The Celestial Visitor" A striking looking stranger appears looking for Nancy, he introduces himself as billionare Tom Swift.

Having been a fan of the TS books when I was a kid, I always wondered why the character was never adapted to film or television?

The Hardy Boys, of which I was also a fan, and the Nancy Drew characters have had multiple adaptations to both movies and TV...but not Tom for some unknown reason.

I should correct myself, there was a TV-movie pilot years ago with Willie Aames portraying Tom that was pretty mediocre.

I'm unaware of any other TS projects, so bringing him to the small screen once isn't much.

I'm just surprised no one has seen the wonderful potential with Tom since his stories are science-fiction in nature and would offer lots of fantastic concepts.

The current level of state of the art special & visual effects would allow Tom's adventures to be realized splendidly now.

Maybe TV and films shied away in the past from doing a TS project due to the expense such a production would cost involving Tom's sci~fi stories. I get that.

But now seems like a time where the FX could make it happen as we see such visually outstanding movies and TV series able to create some awesome stuff.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! It's about time Tom got some of his due!

I'll confess to a bit of an addiction to Tom Swift as a young boy.

I eventually collected all of the TS jr books beginning in the early 50's. For every holiday and birthday I took whatever cash I recieved and walked the three miles to the University Plaza's Ulbrick's Stationary and Book store and laid my dollar down for the newest TOM SWIFT book! Later i did the same thing to get the ACE and BALLINTINE editions of Edgar Rice Burroughs various books!

As I got older and could explore all the old book stores I built up a collection of the original Tom Swift series.

I still have all those volumes although I regret I haven't read any in a while.

There is a site online with copies of all the TS jr series PLUS a bunch of unpublished stories!

http://www.tomswiftlives.com/

To quote the intro from the site :

"In the early years of the 20th Century, juvenile-book entrepreneur Edward Stratemeyer conceived a series of books aimed at young boys chronicling the adventures of a brilliant teenage inventor by the name of Tom Swift. Written by several authors (mainly Howard R. Garis of "Uncle Wiggly" fame) and issued under the series pseudonym "Victor Appleton," the forty volumes (1910-1941) were remarkably popular, and may be said to have influenced a generation of budding geniuses.

In 1954 the heirs of Stratemeyer resumed the series: but now it was The New Tom Swift Jr. Adventures, its hero the even more brilliant son of the original Tom Swift (who still made appearances as the eminence gris of the Swifts' modern high-tech invention facility, of which he was the CEO), and the pseudonymous author was now "Victor Appleton II" (for the most part a gifted storyteller named James Duncan Lawrence).

Straddling the fondly-remembered era of nuclear subs, supersonic jets, color TVs, big-finned cars, and sputniks, Tom Jr. and his supporting cast lived on for thirty-four volumes of their own, enduring the Summer of Love and the "Tom Swifties" joke craze, finally succumbing to the world's mounting cynicism in 1971.

But Tom Swift Jr. lives on—in our hearts, in our childhood affections, in the science classes he helped us pass once upon a time. And now he lives on here, in a series of full-length tales that are tribute, parody, and modern resurrection.

The titles and tales may look familiar, but be warned: this is an alternate-reality Tom Swift, great-grandson of the first one, living today in a world where Tom Jr. never existed.

In other words, it's updated-for-modern-readers time, with a twist or two. Join Tom and his pal Bud Barclay in these thrilling unauthorized stories "for today's science-minded boys!" "

I'm looking forward to seeing a "new" version!
Check out some of these gems...They at the very least bring a waft of nostalgia and a look at the era of "Boys" Adventure stories!

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

POW wrote:
The current level of state of the art special & visual effects would allow Tom's adventures to be realized splendidly now.

Maybe TV and films shied away in the past from doing a TS project due to the expense such a production would cost involving Tom's sci~fi stories. I get that.

But now seems like a time where the FX could make it happen as we see such visually outstanding movies and TV series able to create some awesome stuff.

Brother, ain't that the truth!

By the way, how do you like poster I just added at the top? The color was low, so I boosted it, and it really helped. Cool, eh? Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> TV Shows in Other Genres All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: