ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USS Enterprise NCC-1701-B from Star Trek Generations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Models and Dioramas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:18 pm    Post subject: USS Enterprise NCC-1701-B from Star Trek Generations Reply with quote

Was taking a bunch of photos this past weekend and decided to take some better ones of my old 1/1000 scale Enterprise B.

This is one of the oldest models in my collection as it was the original AMT release I found at a drugstore many years ago.

The model features hand-made stern photorp tubes and an extended cargo/shuttle bay inside the lower cutout.

The basecoat IIRC is Testors flat white over which I hand-painted an assymetric aztec pattern in two shades of grey and turquoise before overspraying with thinned flat white.

Then I sealed with Testors gloss lacquer, decaled, then gave her a final clearcoat of Testors semi-gloss lacquer.

She's showing her age a bit with some yellowing of the decal film but I hope you still like the pics...

USS Enterprise NCC-1701-B by Steve J, on Flickr

More pics here...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/albums/72157644184055462/with/49593177923/
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, your photos not only show off the beauty of the model, they make the dang thing look gigantic! Shocked

The Hollywood FX guys in the 1950s rarely managed to perform that miracle on the models they used in their sci-fi movies! Very Happy

trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Steve, your photos not only show off the beauty of the model, they make the dang thing look gigantic! Shocked

The Hollywood FX guys in the 1950s rarely managed to perform that miracle on the models they used in their sci-fi movies! Very Happy

I doubt those 50's FX guys spent as much time on their models as I do. I recall spending months working on this one; the aztecing alone took weeks.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're definitely right.

I was thinking, however, about how much more dramatic and realistic your models look when shot the way you do . . . instead of the 1950s FX shots that just showed the model moving straight across the screen with no attempt to convince us it was a large spaceship. Sad

That why the opening shot in Star Wars (1977) knocked out socks off! We'd NEVER seen anything like it before, even in 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Models and Dioramas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: