ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Batman (TV Series 1966 –1968)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, I appreciate your willingness to accept this popular show for what it is. Very Happy

Unfortunately, what it was to me when it first aired was a series designed to tell all of us young fans of comic books and serials dedicated to superheroes that we needed to grow and realize how silly our costumed idols were in the eyes of the real world. Sad

I wrote and published The Hero Experience to strike back against that hateful attitude towards superheroes — and if you read it, I think you'll see that its the ultimate defense against all those people who can't except the wonder and beauty of a world that believes in things far beyond the mundane and the ordinary.

As much as I love all the superheroes in the comics I grew up reading . . . my favorites will always be the ones I created myself — The Bowmen.

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can perfectly understand your negative reaction to the Batman TV show, Bruce.

I'm a lifelong comic book fan/collector, so I understand why you and others remain disenchanted over the camp-comedic series.

Like the other things you have written, Bruce, I think The Bowmen would make a very intriguing film or TV series.
PumamanRedux
Planetary Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tubi, a division of FOX Entertainment, is an ad-supported video-on-demand service with more than 35,000 movies and TV shows, 95+ local and live news channels and 250+ entertainment partners, including content from nearly every major Hollywood studio. Tubi gives fans of films and television programs an easy way to discover new content that is available completely free.

Tubi is available in the US, Canada, Mexico, Australia and New Zealand and can be accessed on over 25 devices.

On tubi one can watch the 1966-1968 Batman
TV series via this link:

https://tubitv.com/series/300008188/batman
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with the Batman series was that it tried to make everything funny, including the two superheroes, all the public officials like the major and the police, and absolutely ALL the villains! Rolling Eyes

Conversely, most of the Batman movies made everything dark and grim, like Batman's tragic past and tortured nature, the corrupt politicians, and the twisted nature of the villains.

Please note that today's incredible superhero movies make neither of those unfortunate mistakes — and yet they include wonderful moments of levity which are much funnier than what we saw in the old Batman series, because they don't sacrifice the noble nature of the heroes or the realistic portrayal of the other characters.

However, what if the Batman series had crafted a show which allowed Batman and Robin to earn the hero worship of its viewers . . . while still weaving in moments of clever humor.

Suppose Batman and his young ward were presented as being fully aware of the fact that two men in strange customs who lurked around Gotham City and threatened the criminal element was basically kind of silly! Confused

In other words, Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson didn't take their crime fighting alter-egos too seriously. They knew they were exactly like Las Vegas stage magicians — those impressive people who dazzle the audience with flamboyant costumes, carefully designed tricks, and well rehearsed performances. Very Happy

Secretly, Bruce and Dick would delight in presenting the public with their carefully crafted personaes. But they would also pride themselves at using their elaborate ruse to aid the police in apprehending lawbreakers and bringing them to justice — even when it meant having to do things which were well outside the law in some ways! Shocked

In other words, Batman is a bit like Zorro — a mysterious figure who gleefully taunts the evil forces who plague the common people, but who brazenly breaks the law when the police are hamstrung by legal regulations.

He's a superheroes who frequently does what's "right", even when it's not strictly legal. Obviously that would be the biggest difference between this version the Batman series and the deliberately "goody two-shoes" version from the 1960s. Rolling Eyes

If you happen to be a fan a wonderful series called The Mentalist, you known just what a mean. And if you're not a fan of that series . . . well, shame on you, dude! Shocked

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noted writer Harlan Ellison wrote a script for the Batman TV series titled "Two-Way Crimes of Two-Face."

Ellison's script had Harvey Dent, aka Two-Face, as a reporter and not as the crusading district attorney as he had been in the Batman comic books.

Not sure why the script wasn't ever put into production for the show.

Perhaps the producers or network considered the hideously deformed Two-Face too frightening for children watching the series?

Another possibility was that Adrian Samish, ABC network programmer had had a nasty clash with Harlan during a story meeting regarding Ellison's writing a script for The Invaders television show. It was reported that Samish swore that Ellison would never work for ABC under his watch. And ABC was the network for Batman.

A rumor floated around that had ABC done Harlan's script, they would have liked to have hired Clint Eastwood as Harvey. Boggles the mind to imagine Clint in serious scary make-up playing Two-Face, eh?

The Batman '66 DC comic books which are based upon the Batman TV series adapted Harlan's script that he wrote for the show.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no idea that Ellison wrote a episode of Batman, albeit and unproduced one.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: