ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USS Enterprise NCC-1701-E from Nemesis
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Models and Dioramas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Brother Steve. I corrected my typo. Embarassed

But wait . . . if Gord really is God, he CAN see me! So maybe I had it right to start with, just by accident. Or maybe it was fate that made me say the right thing when I thinking the wrong thing. Confused

Then again, perhaps it was Divine Intervention! The Great God Gord made me do it! Like the way the Bible wasn't written directly by God, but by divinely inspired men.

In other words . . . Holy Ghost Writers. (Ghost writers hired by the Holy Ghost.) Laughing

Anyway, thanks again Brother David. (I mean, Brother Steve.) Hell, I don't know who YOU are either! Shocked

Brother Bud

~ or Brother Bruce. Damn, suddenly I need a beer . . .

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat May 15, 2021 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Bud, I’m not sure Gord ever said he WAS God.

As I recollects it he only admitted to misspelling his name and to perhaps having inspired a new band of confused Gord-aholics and Holy Ghost Writers.

Of course, if he denied being God, his followers might revolt against him for his perceived deceit.

Or, perhaps, they might think he was being clever and made up a story about not being God so he could remain incognito and preserve some sense of privacy.

Perhaps he is God and I myself have become a Holy Ghost Writer under his influence and he inspired me to write the above.

I can see getting really confused about this.

I must break free of the Gord God thing! Got to escape this viscous circle.

Got... (gasp)...to get back...... (wheeze)...to my... (cough)... MODEL!

Shocked
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bless you, my chilren!
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, as a true friend and a brother member of Typo-acholics Anonymous I feel compelled to preach the Gospel of Gord to you in hopes of saving your immortal non-corporeal essence! Shocked

Naturally Gord is NOT going to come right out and confirm that he's God, because he wants His believers to accept him on faith!

Brother Steve, I urge you to turn back to the light and set your feet on the path of righteousness! Too long have yee labored to construct false objects of worship while you've emulated the ancient Egyptian practice of deifying THESE creatures!

Such an enterprise will make you the pawn of an evil nemesis! Consider what happened to King Ramses when he defied the Lord.

Behold! The hand of Gord!

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a movie that completely explains my deity….

Monty Python's LIFE OF BRIAN

Man: I think it was, "Blessed are the cheesemakers"!

Gregory's wife: What's so special about the cheesemakers?

Gregory: Well, obviously it's not meant to be taken literally. It refers to any manufacturer of dairy products.

Brian Called Brian: Alright, I AM the messiah! Now, F#CK OFF!

trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any Monty Python fan is a friend of mine, Gord! I shall henceforth refer to you as "Brian" in the Chat Room.

Anyway, back to the Big E...

Took a break from decaling to finish installing the upper nacelle grills to the tops of the nacelles.

I had debated decaling the nacelles before doing this work but now I am glad I didn't do any decaling as there has been a ton of touchups and cleanups with the nacelles that I could have easily damaged the aztec decals in the process.
Anyway, here now is my saga of the grills or, how to manage something acceptable after some royal screwups on the part of yours truly.

But...I digress... here we go...thanks for listening...

The CGI reference images for the work I would do on the nacelle grills and surrounding areas:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Port Nacelle CGI Screen Cap by Steve J, on Flickr

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Port Nacelle Above CGI Screen Cap by Steve J, on Flickr

After gluing in place with Kristal Klear I puttied any gaps around the grills with AVES Apoxy sculpt.

The putty was an almost perfect color match for the medium grey raised frames around the grills.

I feathered the putty to cover the curved forward and aft sections of the PE grill into the grey raised frames which went really well:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Nacelle Grills Finally Done by Steve J, on Flickr

These will get a brushing with Liquitex Matte Varnish at the end of the build:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Nacelle Grills Installed by Steve J, on Flickr

I am amazed at how good these look lit up. The blue glow is nice and even - no hot spots:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Nacelle Grills Lit After Install by Steve J, on Flickr

I cleaned a little more out between the brass strips.
Once I have the decals on and sealed I will spray the ship with Dullcote which will give the ship a satin semi-gloss finish when applied over the Glosscote clear lacquer sealing coat. I will then brush the grills with Liquitex matte varnish.
t looks really good with a flat finish:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Detail Nacelle Grills Lit After Install by Steve J, on Flickr

These are not perfect but I am surprised how well these turned out after all the touch ups and cleanups I had to do mostly due to my own mistakes. This included the almost unthinkable task of tearing a glued brass photo-etch grill off the clear kit part and respraying the grill with medium grey Krylon primer after I had made a mess of retouching the grill with an inferior brush after it was installed.

Still, the lacquer primer tented to crack off the thin PE strips during installation necessitating more touchups but, after much practice and using a 20/0 very fine tipped brush, I was able to brush the individual brass strips with a very steady hand using medium grey enamel.

Many cycles of retouching and clean out of the clear slots while using a sharpened round toothpick, a fine tipped microbrush, cotton swab, alcohol (not a beer unfortunately), and canned air took place before I was satisfied.
The final matte varnish coat will help too:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Nacelle Grills Lit After Install by Steve J, on Flickr

Next up ... back to decaling. I do not anticipate having to make any more paint touchups.

I know... famous last words.,, shhhhhhhhhh...
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strips of black decal material were trimmed to fit and placed atop the grey divider down the center of the nacelle grills as well as the strips down the middle of the aft ends of the nacelles. After brushing with Solvaset and drying the decals were then coated with Future clear acrylic gloss for permanent protection:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Nacelle Striping by Steve J, on Flickr

Last edited by trekriffic on Mon May 10, 2021 6:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While waiting for Glosscote to fully cure I took these gratuitous images of the main saucer shuttle bay. I do like how the “porch lights” turned out with two bent fiber strands pointing down under the shuttle control room overhang. The second coat of Glosscote went on the nacelles and struts only.

The masking tape on the strongback is there only to protect the paint from the oils on my hand as it’s the spot where I grab the model most of the time.

It will come off before I decal the secondary hull which will be the last thing decaled:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Porch Lights by Steve J, on Flickr

I like this angle looking up from under the front of the nacelle. You can even see the ends of the two lit fibers:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Porch Lights by Steve J, on Flickr

Next thing will be decaling the nacelles.

Last edited by trekriffic on Tue May 11, 2021 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Tune in next week for the another chapter of The Man from S.T.A.R.F.L.E.E.T., in which Captain Trekriffic exclaims — "

"Great Scott! That Glosscote is almost fully cured!" Shocked

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOUR EFFORTS HAVE EARNED STARFLEET'S HIGHEST HONORS! CONGRADULATIONS!

trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
YOUR EFFORTS HAVE EARNED STARFLEET'S HIGHEST HONORS! CONGRADULATIONS!

Ummm... thanks Gord but you spelled trekriffic wrong. Oh... wait... that’s right... you’re a typo-holic.
You can’t help but misspell it.
So don’t mind me. I forgot.
Thank you both very much for the accolades!

🚀
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps Gord was thinking of the tragic transporter accident which briefly combined you and Bulldogtrekker

— similar to the mishap which blended Tuvok and Neelix to create "Tuvix" aboard the USS Voyager.

As you may remember, All Sci-Fi's transporter chief, Cosmina

— repaired the transporter and separated the two of you. During this "new" individuals existence we called him Bulldogtrekkerrific! Laughing

trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Perhaps Gord was thinking of the tragic transporter accident which briefly combined you and Bulldogtrekker

— similar to the mishap which blended Tuvok and Neelix to create "Tuvix" aboard the USS Voyager.

As you may remember, All Sci-Fi's transporter chief, Cosmina

— repaired the transporter and separated the two of you. During this "new" individuals existence we called him Bulldogtrekkerrific! Laughing

Well Bud, and I say this in the fondest way, that makes about as much sense as anything else you’ve ever said, so thank you for reminding me of that entertaining episode.
Ahhhhh... Cosmina... what a
CHASSIS

Twisted Evil
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave the nacelle aztec decals a few coats of liquid decal film to thicken and hopefully toughen them up.

I may lay the individual strips down in sections anyway, easier to handle and squeeze out any water from underneath that way:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Nacelle Aztec Decals by Steve J, on Flickr

Meatloafr over on All Scale Trek printed me up several sizes of decals for the RCS thrusters on the saucer and nacelles and the black tuning fork that goes on the front between the bussards. Saves me from having to paint them on.

Also he printed me several variations of a Nemesis decal for the base:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - More Decals by Steve J, on Flickr

I was able to glue down a single short piece of the PE nacelle grill that was popping up a tiny bit. Hardly noticeable from most angles but naggingly irritating to the perfectionist in me. Micro Krystal Klear was applied under the offending 1/4 inch section using a toothpick and held down with my clean thumbs at each end until the glue set, about 5 minutes.

The glue dried clear but I went ahead and cleaned out any excess in the trench either side using an exacto knife to slice along the edge of the grill (so as not to grab the glue under the grill as well when I picked it out) followed by a quick pass with alcohol on a pointy small cotton swab to dissolve any remaining gunk:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Nacelle Grill Glue Down by Steve J, on Flickr

Taking a slight detour from decals...

These grills turned out great. Had to spend some time picking out bits of Testors copper enamel from the teeny tiny holes with a sharp metal pick but it was worth the effort. The trench aztec decal looks great too:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Deflector Dish Detail by Steve J, on Flickr

And veering way off course...

Gratuitous shot of the finished lower saucer aztec and escape pods. Nice shot of the lit deflector grills too:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Lower Saucer by Steve J, on Flickr

Rest assured I have since gotten back to the task at hand and have but three sections of decal left to complete the nacelle Aztecs.

Of course I won’t be completely done since the decals didn’t quite fit right so a few will need ... TOUCHUPS!

So I will end up having to brush paint the areas that need touch ups (or simply to be filled in) with black or medium grey paint. First though I will seal the decals with a lacquer gloss coat before applying my paint over, or adjacent to, the decals.
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished the aztec decals on the nacelles. Just need to add the tuning fork decal to the front and RCS thrusters to the back. Also will add the stripes and registry decals:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Nacelle Decals by Steve J, on Flickr

These grey and black patches up forward fit poorly. I ended up overpainting the black decal section to fill in a gap between it and the grey patch. The black section was also about 1/4 inch too short; and didn’t quite reach the end of the slot in the hull. Anyway, the touchups went well. I sealed the decal with clear gloss lacquer before brushing with thinned black enamel. The enamel was a little darker than the decal so I painted the whole section:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP - Nacelle Decals by Steve J, on Flickr

Should be finished with the nacelles tomorrow. Then I’ll tackle the upper saucer decals.

Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Models and Dioramas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: