ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USS Enterprise NCC-1701-E from Nemesis
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Models and Dioramas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The deflector dish photo-etch grills were sprayed with Krylon gloss black lacquer followed by a shot of Testors metallic copper enamel from a spray can. Any holes that got clogged were cleared with the sharp end of an exacto knife:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Deflector Dish Grills by Steve J, on Flickr

This test fit is to help me decide the sequence of joining the secondary and primary hull so as to allow the puttying of the joining of the shuttle bay side walls to the strongback. The Nemesis Enterprise had a smooth transition joint on either side of the shuttle bay doors which I will accomplish using AVES Apoxy Sculpt:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Test Fit Saucer to Secondary Hull by Steve J, on Flickr
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update... Impulse engines...

Plastic sheet was cut to make the walls to house the red impulse engine LEDS. Adhesive backed foil covers the inside face of the walls:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Impulse Engine LED Compartments by Steve J, on Flickr

It will be cool to see how much brighter the impulse engines glow bouncing light off these mirror-like surfaces:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Foiled Walls of LED compartment by Steve J, on Flickr

A diffuser panel of milk jig plastic will be stacked against the back of the kit clear plastic to eliminate the major hot spot in the center of the engine vent grills the LED would make:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Impulse Engine LED Test Fitting by Steve J, on Flickr

Took this picture with some external illuminatIon from my work lamp:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- impulse Vent Light Test by Steve J, on Flickr

Low light test:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP-Impulse Engine Exhaust Vent Lit by Steve J, on Flickr

I’ll finish installing the starboard LED then make two foil covered floor panels to glue to what would be the bottom of the compartments and seal in the red glowing LEDs.

Next up... I finish the shuttle control/observation room and light it.
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skipping around and did something for the Raytheon Effect lower saucer...

Ventral saucer internal forward floodlight for Raytheon Effect:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Raytheon Effect Lower Saucer by Steve J, on Flickr

3mm diffused cool white flat top wide angle LED is mounted at a slight downward angle about 3/8” above the root of what would be the lower forward floodlight for the ship name and registry. A curved section of white styrene sheet is glued at a downward angle at the front end of the “flood zone” to bounce light from the LED onto the most forward section of the "flood zone" since light at the root of the beam, closest to the LED, dims the further you get away from it.

Ventral saucer internal forward floodlight for Raytheon Effect:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Raytheon Effect Lower Saucer Light Test by Steve J, on Flickr

You can see how bright the cool white LED is. I found that, for the light bounce panel, bare white plastic worked better than bright chrome metal foil to Reflect the most light.

Ventral saucer internal forward floodlight:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Internal Raytheon Effect Lower Saucer LED and Bounce Panel by Steve J, on Flickr

I had to take into account the location of the upper saucer LED and potential bounce panel before I could determine where these lower RE components would be mounted for the lower saucer flood effect. It is important that the LEDs not interfere with each other.

Ventral saucer external forward floodlight simulated using Raytheon Effect:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Lower Saucer Raytheon Test by Steve J, on Flickr

Ventral saucer external forward floodlight simulated using Raytheon Effect:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Lower Saucer Raytheon Effect in Action by Steve J, on Flickr

I’m pretty satisfied with the brightness level after adding the internal bounce panel at the front end opposite the LED. I think it will actually get a little brighter after I install the upper saucer LED which will hang just above and aft of the lower saucer LED.

Next I'll do the upper LED floodlight and see if I can run fibers to the forward bow lights from the upper and lower Raytheon Effect LEDs. Then back to finish off the shuttle bay control room and LED lighting. Then need to finish the impulse engine LED installations before sealing up the impulse engine compartments. Then tackle the flasher board and wiring for the flashing lights and the wiring for the always on LEDs.

So not much more.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, we continue to admire both the clarity of your descriptions and the sharpness of your images!

Everything you do is in "High Definition". Cool

trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red LEDS and diffusers were sealed up inside the port and starboard impulse engine compartments using epoxy and adhesive-backed aluminum foil:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Impulse Engine Light Test by Steve J, on Flickr

After inserting milk jug plastic diffuser panels between the 3mm red LEDs and the transparent red kit clear parts, I taped thin styrene sheet panels on what would constitute the floors of the impulse engine compartments. The panels were lined with foil on the inside to reflect the red light from the LED:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Imulse Engine Compartment Floors by Steve J, on Flickr

Impulse engine frames painted with Krylon Satin Black lacquer followed by Tamiya Metallic Black lacquer:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Light Test by Steve J, on Flickr

The red LEDs light up well I think:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Low Light Test by Steve J, on Flickr
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Terrific work! (Trekriffic in fact!) Laughing

It occurred to me today that a custom built model like this and all your others — with those unique enhancements they include — would undoubtedly be worth quite a lot of money to collectors who appreciated and understood just how much skill and work it took to create them!

The detailed descriptions (with illustrations) you've posted would serve to make potential buyers aware of all the unseen embellishments that make the finished models worth a hefty price.

Steve, I know YOU would never sell your creations . . . but make sure your wife understands that when you someday "beam up" to your final reward, she'll have a treasure trove of priceless collectibles . . . which she could auction off to help pay for a nice home in Florida! Cool

trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the very least I’ll send you the Abaddon Bud. The way you’ve hung in there and with your contributions to the story merit at least one model for you sir!
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Control room was revamped with new smaller “figures”. Does not stand up to close inspection but it doesn’t have to. The crew are actually painted with the grey and dark red of the Nemesis actors; I say painted but it’s more of a suggestion of color. When silhouetted by the cool white LED from behind, you’ll mostly just see shapes. To the right are the fibers that will light the front of the shuttle bay doors. The ends were bent to a right angle by bending them over a heated piece of small diameter brass rod:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Shuttle Bay Control Room by Steve J, on Flickr
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for an update I guess. Finally got the LED in place to light the control room and porch lights...

The cool white rectangular LED has two holes drilled into it. Two fibers fit into the holes which then extend thru the hull and then thru two holes in the photo-etch shuttle bay doors. The nib end of each fiber then bends at a right angle to shine downwards on the doors. The LED lights the shuttle bay control room thru a slot carved thru the kit hull covered by a diffuser panel:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Upper Saucer Shuttle Bay and Door Fiber LED by Steve J, on Flickr

I’m glad I noticed those two holes Paragrafix provided in the hangar bay door photo-etch for the door floods.
No mention is made of them in the PE instructions but in stills from Nemesis there are clearly two lights in those locations on opposite sides of the control room overhang:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Shuttle Bay Control Room LED and Door Floodlights Test by Steve J, on Flickr

The crew figures are visible as dark silhouettes in the two centermost of the control room’s triangular windows:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP-Shuttle Bay Control Room and Door Floods Light Test by Steve J, on Flickr

A look underneath at the fibers running to the main shuttle bay porch lights under the control room overhang:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Porch Light Fiber Optics by Steve J, on Flickr

I epoxied a piece of milk jug plastic to diffuse the light from the LED to the long rows of viewports on each side of the aft docking port. Just for ducks I carved and glued two tiny dark grey plastic figures to the diffuser panel which are barely visible seen thru the translucent plastic panel in this photo:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Milk Jug Plastic and Shuttle Bay LED by Steve J, on Flickr

A little touch up for the doors and around the control room but I’m really pleased with how this area turned out. Much better than what the kit provided I think:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Accurized Main Shuttle Bay by Steve J, on Flickr
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update...

Worked on a few things the last few days.
One involved wiring up the 1.8mm cool white LED for the quantum torpedo port located above the captain’s yacht at the head of the deflector trench.
Here’s the LED lit and sitting in a puddle of 5 minute epoxy:

Wires were soldered to the LED and taped down with adhesive foil tape:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Deflector Trench Wired by Steve J, on Flickr

The LED shines thru a piece of transparent blue plastic signaling the launch of a quantum torpedo:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Quantum Torpedo Port Lit by Steve J, on Flickr

I glued the trench in place in the starboard half of the secondary hull.
It makes it easy to wire as the power jack is located in this half of the hull:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Deflector Trench Glued by Steve J, on Flickr

The other half of the hull test fitted with the trench in place. Not bad at all: :

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Test Fit by Steve J, on Flickr

I should hopefully have the deflector dish mounted and lit this weekend.

I also put in some work on the aft upper single port photorp launcher that sits atop the shuttle bay.
First thing I did was dig out the sloping trench the launcher sits in using files and dental scraping tools.
This literally took me two hours to finish but I’m pleased with the result:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Aft Spine Torpedo Trench by Steve J, on Flickr

I’ll save making the single port photorp launcher until after the secondary hull is glued together.

Next thing was installing the LEDs in the upper saucer...

3 cool white LEDs, 2 red LEDs, I green flasher, I red flasher, and I cool white flasher:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Upper Saucer LED Placement by Steve J, on Flickr

All the internal flashing LEDs are painted with black Tulip paint for light blocking after insertion of 30 mil fiber optic strands.
So any formation or running lights on the external hull are the ends of fiber optic strands not LEDs.
Sometimes 1 LED will light up multiple strands of fiber:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Flasher and Fiber by Steve J, on Flickr

The centermost cool white lighthouse style LED had a hole drilled into the cylindrical portion into which a fiber strand was inserted. It was then light blocked with black fabric paint and a strip of sticky foil tape.
The fiber then feeds thru a hole in a milk jog plastic diffuser panel, then makes a right angle to exit the hull just behind the upper saucer bridge dome.
The LED will be tied into the Tenacontrols flasher board in the lower saucer hull:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Bridge Beacon Flasher by Steve J, on Flickr

The parallel circuit for the steady on LEDs in the lower saucer Is complete. Power will be supplied by a pair of wires coming up from the secondary hull and soldered to the legs of each LED starting with the Raytheon Effect LED in the center of the saucer.

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Lower Saucer Light Test by Steve J, on Flickr

Next thing is to wire up the upper saucer steady-on circuit.
Then I’ll install the flasher board and wire up those circuits.

Thanks for reading and thanks for any comments!
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, I got a call from Admiral Janeway of Starflieet, who wanted your email address. She said the folks at Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards are clamoring for you to come work there! Shocked

I told her you were pretty busy with your own amazing builds, plus you were writing the history of The Battle of Sherman's Planet, a detailed account of that historic event.

She sounded mighty disappointed . . . and I never could say no to that woman, so you can expect a message from her soon.

Please, Steve . . . try to let her down easy. Sad

_________
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The impulse engines, shuttle control room and porch lights, Raytheon effect LED, and bow running lights all light up! These are the steady-on lights only. Still need to wire the flashers to the flasher board:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Upper Saucer Light Test by Steve J, on Flickr

The impulse engines, shuttle control room, et al, look good externally:

The 30 mil fiber strand works well for running and formation lights in 1/1400 scale:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Bow Running Light by Steve J, on Flickr

A cool white 3mm round top LED illuminates the two stern running lights thru fiber optic strands. It also lights the aft window ports:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Secondary Hull Stern LED by Steve J, on Flickr

Light test:

Next I’ll work on the deflector dish.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, please, please tell me you're going to post a YouTube video of the finished model which displays it with the camera slowly moving in and out and all around . . . while Star Trek music fills the audio! Very Happy

And naturally you'll vary the room lighting to show off the ship's lights in a darkened room in some shots. Cool

trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rare trekriffic video. Not the ultimate one Bud so... nothing that special...

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Lower Saucer Flashers Working Video by Steve J, on Flickr

Last edited by trekriffic on Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank god for liquid electrical tape:

USS Enterprise E - Nemesis-WIP- Secondary Hull Lights by Steve J, on Flickr

It's a twisting mess but it works. The unterminated wires at top left will be used to power the flasher board in the lower primary hull and the steady-on circuits in the saucer. The flasher board in the saucer will terminate to flashing LEDs in the saucer, secondary hull, and nacelles which feed fiber optics exiting to the external hull. The unterminated wires to the right (wrapping around the outer hull) will power the nacelle and bussard collector LED's:

Left to right: quantum torpedo LED, amber orange deflector LED, cool white LED strip, cool white diffused flat strongback windows LED, and cool white stern window/stern beacons LED:

I think I got close to the brightness I wanted out of the quantum torpedo port and deflector dish. Note that once I finished soldering the wires for the steady-on LEDs they seemed to form a corkscrew tangle in the middle of the hull.
In this way no wires touch the interior sides and no windows are blocked off. Serendipity it seems as I had not planned it that way:

Quantum torpedo port glows a nice blue and is not too bright. Deflector has an amber orange glow. This is before I attach the copper painted brass photo-etch grills so the brightness will drop a lot once I finish gluing on the grills at the end of the build:

The deflector trench. I found a piece of styrene tubing that was the perfect size for the diameter of the deflector part. The plastic reflector came from a Dollar Tree booklight and was something I found in my parts stash:

3mm Round ultra-bright cool white LED lights up fibers to the stern beacons:

Once the black liquid electrical tape dries I'll paint all the black wires with white enamel:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Models and Dioramas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 4 of 11

Jump to: