ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rustlers' Rhapsody (1985)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:52 pm    Post subject: Rustlers' Rhapsody (1985) Reply with quote

The Lone Ranger discussion reminded me of this very funny movie. It is an affectionate parody of Westerns through the years, particularly the 1930s & 40s singing Cowboy films, with a bit of "The Lone Ranger" thrown into the mix.

I haven't seen the movie in decades so please excuse the cut-and-paste fro Wikipedia.

There are some, but not all spoilers. You have been warned.

The concept of the film is explained in a voiceover intro by G. W. Bailey, who wonders what it would be like if one of the 1930s/1940s Rex O'Herlihan films were to be made today. At that point, in a scene reminiscent of The Wizard of Oz, the cinematography shifts from black and white to color and the soundtrack changes from mono to surround sound.

As a consequence of this paradigm shift, Rex O'Herlihan (Berenger), a "singing cowboy," is the only character aware of the plot outline. He explains that he "knows the future" inasmuch as "these Western towns are all the same" and that it's his "karma" to "ride into a town, help the good guys, who are usually poor for some reason, against the bad guys, who are usually rich for some reason, and ride out again." Rex's knowledge is also connected to the unspecified "root" vegetables he digs up and eats.

On his high-stepping horse Wildfire, Rex rides into the town of Oakwood Estates, walks into a saloon and meets Peter, the Town Drunk (Bailey). In exchange for a free drink, Peter explains the background: the town, and especially the sheep herders ("nice enough, but they smell God-awful"), are being terrorized by the cattle ranchers, headed by Colonel Ticonderoga (Andy Griffith).[3] Also there is Miss Tracy (Marilu Henner), the traditional Prostitute with a Heart of Gold. A local sheriff (John Orchard) is "a corrupt old coward who takes his orders from the Colonel."

Blackie (Jim Carter), the foreman at Rancho Ticonderoga, swaggers into the bar with two of his henchmen and shoots the town real-estate agent. Miss Tracy objects, and when she is verbally abused by one of Blackie's henchmen, Rex intervenes. Blackie draws on Rex after they exchange words – including Rex's threat to "shoot in the hand" anyone of them drawing on him – and duly delivers on that threat. The disabled Blackie orders his two henchmen to kill Rex, but having been rattled by Rex's skill, they draw and fire their six-shooters hurriedly, and shoot Blackie in the back instead. Rex then proceeds to shoot both in the hand. He then orders them to remove Blackie's corpse.

Peter exchanges his drunk suit for a sidekick outfit, catches up with Rex, and is reluctantly accepted. (Rex has sworn off sidekicks as they keep dying.) At the singing cowboy's campsite, Peter finds not one but two women there eager to get to know Rex a little better, Miss Tracy and the Colonel's daughter (Sela Ward). In the PG-rated original version, Sela Ward and Rex sneak off behind a rock to have sex. This is removed and the film is rated G.

The Colonel goes for help to the boss of the railroad men (Fernando Rey) – who wear dusters and have theme music like characters in spaghetti westerns. "We should stick together. Look what we have in common: we're both rich, we're both power-mad, and we're both Colonels — that's got to count for something!"

Rex outwits the Bad Guys because he knows their every move before they do. But then the Colonels import "Wrangler" Bob Barber (Patrick Wayne), apparently another Good Guy. Bob psychs out Rex in their first meeting by attacking Rex's claim to be the "most good Good Guy" and pointing out that a Good Guy has to be "a confident heterosexual." "I thought it was just a heterosexual," Rex objects. "No, it's a confident heterosexual," responds Bob.

Rex backs down from the shootout. On his way out of town, while preparing to change roles to that of a sidekick, Rex explains to Peter that he rides into town, kisses the girls and rides out again. "That's all: I just kiss 'em. I mean, this is the 1880s. You gotta date and date and date and date and sometimes marry 'em before they, you know."

Bob reports that Rex is finished as a Good Guy. Nevertheless, the Colonels, over Bob's objection, arrange for Peter to be bushwhacked. This rouses Rex to round up the sheep herders and face down Bob and the rancher/railroad combine. Bob is revealed as not a Good Guy at all because, after all, he is a lawyer. Rex shoots him.

Colonel Ticonderoga makes the peace. He apologizes to Rex and throws a party at Rancho Ticonderoga, after which Rex and Peter (who survived because Rex had him wear a bulletproof vest) ride off together into the sunset.

I really need to see this movie again.

David
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of this movie. I'll have to check it out. Very Happy

________________Rustlers' Rhapsody - Trailer

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another fine movie in this vein is The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (Netflix 2018).

It's an anthology of off beat western genres.
Wikapedia says this about it

"The Ballad of Buster Scruggs is a 2018 American western comedy-drama anthology film written, directed, and produced by the Coen brothers. It stars Tim Blake Nelson, Liam Neeson, James Franco, Brendan Gleeson, Zoe Kazan, Tyne Daly, Harry Melling, Bill Heck, and Tom Waits, and features six vignettes that take place on the American frontier. "

Check it out here for more detailed info on the movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ballad_of_Buster_Scruggs

Krel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
Another fine movie in this vein is The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (Netflix 2018).

Oh, this is NOTHING like "Rustlers' Rhapsody". The first one is wacky and funny. The second one is humorous, if a bit downbeat. But the rest of them are pretty grim, and one is downright depressing! It is worth watching. But, ABSOLUTELY DO NOT expect the rest of the stories to be as funny as the first.

Just a warning. If I had known that not all the stories were like the first, I would have enjoyed the movie much more, than I did.

David.

Last edited by Krel on Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RR is more in the BLAZING SADDLES frame of mind. BALLAD is, as you may expect from the Coens more like wild west meets the Twilight Zone.

And yes...a couple of vignettes are downright dark! The Liam Neeson one in particular.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: