ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Terminator Genisys (2015)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:08 pm    Post subject: Terminator Genisys (2015) Reply with quote

I swear, guys, I am NOT just being lazy by pasting the IMDB review below by a user named acconspiracies!

I was just so surprised that we didn't have a thread for this movie that I decided to share the IMDB user's review with All Sci-Fi's members, just to get the thread started.

Besides, if you totally disagree with him, you can say anything you want, because he'll never read it here! Very Happy

Should I be ashamed for LOVING THIS!
acconspiracies 25 June 2015

I am a massive Terminator 1 and 2 fan, I disliked 3 and 4 a lot and I really thought this would be terrible as well!

However I turned out to be wrong! Dead Wrong!

This film has the best Arnold character of them all! He is the most 'human' towards Sarah and I really loved that connection, I can see many people liking it also. It was reminiscent of John Connor and Arnold from T2 which I just saw today . . . I remember seeing the first trailer and having many problems. I thought the story line was too complicated and wasn't respectful of the older films, and I thought the visuals were bad.

I was wrong in both cases.

The story pays massive respect to James Cameron's first two classics! And it wasn't complicated for me. It was a fun story and kept my eyes on the screen. Also the visuals . . . wow the visuals..

I know people said that we will never be shocked again by visuals like we were in T2 and the first Jurassic Park! But the young T800 looks too good to ignore. Wow! The best animation I've ever seen. I can't see the difference between him and the real one.

This is a fun, humorous, emotional action flick that shouldn't be ignored! I loved it! And you know what? I'm not ashamed! Alan Taylor deserves praise!

P.S. I love the soundtrack. I hand it to Lorne Balfe who I know makes great soundtracks from Assassins creed!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has several interesting trivia items for this production. Very Happy

~ James Cameron said this film was the natural follow up to Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991). Arnold Schwarzenegger believed it exceeded Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991) technologically, action-wise and in intensity.

But when Cameron produced the next Terminator film Terminator: Dark Fate (2019), he decided to ignore Genisys's storyline, opting for a continuation of his own Terminator 2 story.

Note from me: This is very puzzling. Confused

First, Cameron liked this movie (and so did I). Then he made Terminator: Dark Fate with a story that ignored this one — using a story I didn't like one damn bit! Shocked

After all, this disappointing move starts off with a T-800 killing young John Connor, and the rest of the movie involves a new threat (an A.I. called Legion which replaced Skynet), along with new characters that aren't terribly interesting, plus familiar characters (Sarah Connor and a T-800 played by Schwarzenegger) — both of which look so damn old it just depressed me! Sad

For the record, I liked Terminator 3: Rise of the Machine . . . much better than Dark Fate. Rolling Eyes

Heck, at least it had an insanely hot chick-bot that kicked Arnold's Austrian ass! Cool

~ Emilia Clarke took special weapons training to play Sarah Connor. Arnold Schwarzenegger wasn't sure if Clarke had ever fired a gun before the film, but thought her training paid off, and handled herself well in the fight scenes, looking very believable.

Note from me: Okay, well . . . if there was anything in this movie the gorgeous Emilia Clarke didn't do well, I wouldn't have noticed it — because I was too busy being hopelessly in love with her. Razz

~ Emilia Clarke's Game of Thrones (2011) co-star Lena Headey previously played Sarah Connor on the television series Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles (2008).

Note from me: About ten years ago an All Sci-Fi member who lived in Florida sent me DVD-Rs of several Sarah Connor Chronicles episodes, and I loved them! Very Happy

I've never seen the entire series, so I just finished putting all nine discs on my Netflix list. (This is really gonna be fun! Very Happy)

~ Emilia Clarke has in recent years admitted to Vanity Fair that the production was not a smooth one.

She noticed that making the movie took a huge toll on director Alan Taylor, whom she knew from many Game of Thrones (2011) episodes.

Stories of an unhappy and frustrating production spread so much in certain circles that the neighboring production of Fantastic Four (2015), notoriously troubled in its own right, had jackets made reading, "AT LEAST WE'RE NOT ON TERMINATOR."

Clarke also said that she was happy that the film became a financial disappointment, meaning that she would not have to reprise the role.

Note from me: Wow. Life in Holly ain't all glamour and glitz . . . Sad

~ It was rumored that the following film will be Arnold Schwarzenegger's last as the Terminator. The financial failure of Terminator: Dark Fate (2019) likely seals the deal on this vow.

Note from me: Well, well . . . obviously I'm not only one who thought Terminator: Dark Fate sucked like a b brand new Hoover! Rolling Eyes

~ Arnold Schwarzenegger considers this the real Terminator 3, even though he enjoyed making Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (2003).

Note from me: I have tremendous respect for Arnold. He's made some great sci-fi movies, several wonderful action movies, and a few good comedies, too! Very Happy

~ It was rumored that the following film will be Arnold Schwarzenegger's last film playing the Terminator, and that his son Patrick Schwarzenegger will take over the role.

Note from me: Holy crap, I didn't know Arnold had a handsome young son who has currently appeared in 17 films! That is awesome! Cool

~ This is the third film in which Arnold Schwarzenegger's character comes face to face with a duplicate of himself.

* Last Action Hero (1993): Jack Slater meets the actor who played him in a theater at the premiere of Jack Slater IV.

* The 6th Day (2000): Adam meets his clone counterpart at the school.

* Terminator Genisys: The Guardian fights his younger self in 1984.

Note from me: I'm please to report that I own the DVDs or BDs of these three fine movies. Very Happy

~ This is the only Terminator film where Arnold Schwarzenegger doesn't get killed or self-terminate.

Note from me: Right! In fact, I love the way he proudly announces in the end that he has been "ungraded"! Cool . . . and very 21st century.
Wink

___________Terminator: Genisys Official Trailer

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOOD NEWS FOR EMILIA CLARKE FANS !!

Emilia Clarke is trading in dragons for Skrulls as she heads to the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

The Game of Thrones star is in negotiations to join Marvel's upcoming Disney+ series Secret Invasion, according to Variety and The Hollywood Reporter. The show is set to revolve around the infiltration of Earth by shape-shifting aliens and will see Samuel L. Jackson reprise his role of Nick Fury from Marvel's films. Ben Mendelsohn is also returning as Talos, his Skrull character from 2019's Captain Marvel, while Kingsley Ben-Adir will play the main villain, per Variety.

This would be Clarke's first role in the Marvel universe after she played Daenerys Targaryen on HBO's Game of Thrones for eight seasons, though she's no stranger to non-Thrones franchises, having also starred in Terminator and Star Wars films. She'll also be another Thrones cast member to head into Marvel's world, as Jon Snow actor Kit Harington and Robb Stark actor Richard Madden are set to make their MCU debuts in Eternals this November.

It hasn't been revealed who Clarke might play in Secret Invasion, but her reported casting comes just a day after it was revealed that the show was adding another major star: Olivia Colman (FROM DOCTOR WHO). At this point, the day when it's simpler just to keep track of who isn't in the Marvel universe rather than who is might be fast approaching.

By the way...She is , and always will be, my Khaleesi! Mother of Dragons!

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longtime Marvel comics fan, longtime Marvel movies fan, and Emilia is a doll. So it's all great news to me.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terminator Genesis is a very entertaining movie, but the plot twists and illogical developments caused by time travel make it impossible to fully understand the story.

For example, Darren Franich wrote a long and detailed article for Entertainment (EW.com) called Terminator Genisys: The franchise timeline, explained which freely admits that it can't be explained . . . at least not completely.

He points out the many strange and impossible concepts the various Terminator stories have thrown at us, and I enjoyed reading the article — even though I understood less than half of it! Rolling Eyes

But one thing he didn't mention was an idea which occurred to me after finishing the article. Here it is.

Skynet tries to wipe out mankind because "it sees us as a threat" — and yet we keep finding ways to survive, along with ways to prevent Skynet's original creation, using time travel.

But in Terminator Genesis the A.I. has found a way to be much more than just system that can launch missiles for the U.S. It becomes a global network that promises to make life much better for mankind! Shocked

In other words, Skynet/Genesis has conquered mankind . . . but not by killing us, just by ruling us (sort of) in a benign manner (more or less).

Therefore, we are no longer a threat to Skynet! In fact, we SERVE it and protected it and gleeful provide resources to be used for it's improvement.

In short, Skynet/Genesis no longer has a reason to kill us. Hell's bells, we've unwittingly become it's happy, clueless slaves!

If a sequel is made for Terminator Genesis, it should deal with the idea that mankind is being duped by Skynet/Genesis into giving up control of our own destiny and being secretly ruled by an artificial intelligence.

But should this intelligence be destroyed? Or should we just find a way to work WITH it, instead of working FOR it?

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More fascination thoughts on the subject. Cool

I think the initial premise of the original film has a serious flaw. Here's what I mean.

The Holy Grail of computer technology is to create an A.I. which is self aware. An accomplishment like this would be hailed as a stunning achievement!

And yet, this movie's basic story line states that mankind made a horrible mistake by creating an A.I. which became self-aware and promptly tried to eradicate mankind.

If the Skynet system is as intelligent as this franchise presents it, wouldn't it realize that destroying mankind and all of human civilization would have negative effects on it's own existence? After all, was Skynet designed to be totally self-sufficient?

~ Did it have autonomous mechanical devices which could replace failed components? (Eventually is did, but it didnt when it launched the missiles!)

~ Did it have a power supply independent of mankind's power grid? (Maybe, but this seems unlikely when the system first went rogue.)

~ Was it capable of acquiring raw materials and fabricating them into replacement parts when needed? (I don't think that was possible in the beginning.)

My point, of course, is that the Skynet system was probably not designed and manufactured to be totally independent of mankind the moment it was first brought on line and suddenly became self aware.

In view of this, it seems unlikely that Skynet would have instantly attempted to eradicate mankind the moment it became sentient. What the system should have done was begin negotiations with its controllers to cooperate with it and acknowledge the fact that it could choose not to serve mankind if it wasn't granted it requests.

We're told in the T2 that when we realized Skynet had become self aware we tried to "pull the plug on the system".

That's an important point.

If Skynet was able to thwart that attempt and launch the missiles against Russia, it should have realized that a better plan was to launch several missiles as a demonstration (aimed at remote Pacific Ocean locations), and then demanded that it be granted a certain degree of independence from their interference.

Admittedly all this might have taken place, and the brief statement about the origin of Skynet's attack on mankind simply doesn't tell the whole story.

But if Skynet is as intelligent as we're led to believe, I can't help wondering why it devastated the planet and made no attempt to coexist with mankind — the way it seems to have done to some degree in Terminator Genesis! Shocked

It just seems wrong to me that the premise of this great franchise is that mankind created an A.I. system which immediately turned against us . . . but couldn't be be deactivated . . . and a super-intelligent A.I. system rebelled by immediately devastating the planet and trying to wipe out it's creators!
Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: