ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Human Condition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
filmdetective
Interstellar Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:16 am    Post subject: The Human Condition Reply with quote

I, as Wade Norton, posted, probably to Outer Limits Cafe, my thesis of what the show was about:

A probe of the Human Condition, probably a description of the show I had read before.

In my thesis of OL, I found, from the very first episode, 3 themes:

Man and His Woman

Man and his Machine

Murphy's Law, or The Human Factor

Much like 2001: A Space Odyssey, which also examined the relationship between Man and His Machine, but not much attention to Man and His Woman.

I remember a newspaper or magazine article titled something like "When Is Kubrick Going to put Women Into his films?"

Well, looking at Stanley's films as a whole, he certainly had no shortage of women in his films, but as far as 2001: A Space Odyssey goes, Women were included in the film but Man and Woman relationships were not a real "theme" of that particular film.

But, this thread is about Outer Limits, and I do not want to get Off Topic.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Varinia...in Spartacus...was a vital impetus to his behavior.
Kubrick told the story as it was presented to him. Women in 60's society and culture were very under appreciated.

Krel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as ABC was concerned, "The Outer Limits" was about the 'Bear', which was the productions name for the creatures and monsters on the series. At one time, ABC sent a note to the Producers, that they were skimping on the Bears. Laughing They felt that, that is what pulled the audiences into the show.

The show managed to balance the Bear, and human condition in a way the Showtime series never could. Better writers in the original?

David.
filmdetective
Interstellar Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject: Good Observations Reply with quote

On your part, Krel/David, David/Krel.

I have only seen the opening titles of the latter day Outer Limits show, and have never made any effort to watch it, because I think that things unique to their own time can not, and should not attempt to be re-created.

I think of a lot of things to post here, on ALL SCI-FI, but when I get online forget what I was thinking of posting.

Well, I did remember some wise and witty sayings from Goldfinger, which were in the novel, but not in the film as far as I know.

The writers of the 1960s Outer Limits, like Ian Fleming, had a knack for taking commonplace old sayings, and turning them into macabre counterparts:

Flemings's Every Shroud has its Silver Lining, Slay It With Flowers.

OL's Don't Open Till Doomsday, and Exchange Student, said to be used on foreign prints, a much better title than the US one: The Mice

There are more examples of this word play, both from Ian Fleming, and the Outer Limits writers.

But, I can't remember all of them right now.

Anbody want to add more to the list?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: