ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What Is Your Favorite SciFi Universe?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Discussions in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What Is Your Favorite SciFi Universe?
Star Trek/Star Wars
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Babylon 5
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Battlestar Galactica
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Stargate
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Ringworld/Halo
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Honorverse
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Alien/Predator
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Serentity/Firefly
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
Other
50%
 50%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 2

Tom
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:44 pm    Post subject: What Is Your Favorite SciFi Universe? Reply with quote

I know there are hundreds more. If you picked 'other' it would be cool to read about the other ones so please post about it.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm . . . you put Star Trek and Star Wars together?

Really?

Hmmm . . .

Isn't that a little like saying your two favorite Western shows are Gunsmoke and Firefly? Wink
Tom
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry its the restrictions of the poll creation process - I originally had them ALL separate but it would not post.
Selecting 'Other' and commenting can clarify your selection.

There are many that I could not add as well.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand. I just meant that Star Trek is science fiction . . . and Star Wars is (as George Lucas accurately defined it when A New Hope was first released) a space fantasy. That really does sum it up nicely.

A damn good space fantasy, too. Very Happy

So, combining ST and SW into one category seems odd.
Randy
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked "other" because for more years than I can remember, I have been reading every "Berserker" book written by "Fred Saberhagen". Saberhagen takes us to a time in the future where the universe is full of very very huge machines which mankind has named "The Berserkers". They are self replicating machines which pack planet destroying weapons. The berserkers were programed by one of first two races in the universe who had been at war with one another. The Berserkers were programmed to destroy the other race, but, through the eons of time, that original programming has become corrupted and now the Berserker's programming reads to simply destroy all life. The Berserkers have had untold millenia to create countless numbers of "clones" and the hoards of semi-intelligent machines have destroyed all life across the universe and have just discovered the worlds colonized by humankind. Now WE are at war with the machines!

By the way, one episode of Babylon 5 paid tribute to Saberhagen when John Sheridan encountered one of the Berserker's advance probes!
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But wait, Randy . . . they're robots, right? I mean, how can they hurt people? You know, the Three Laws --

Oh, wait. We proved those were nonsense in another thread. Robots can't be made not to hurt people, because . . . ummmm . . . I'll have to go back and re-read that other thread. I'm still not clear on how "technology and science proved the Three Laws to be nonsense."

I'll get back to ya on this, 'kay? Very Happy
Tom
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy wrote:
I picked "other" because for more years than I can remember, I have been reading every "Berserker" book written by "Fred Saberhagen". Saberhagen takes us to a time in the future where the universe is full of very very huge machines which mankind has named "The Berserkers". They are self replicating machines which pack planet destroying weapons. The berserkers were programed by one of first two races in the universe who had been at war with one another. The Berserkers were programmed to destroy the other race, but, through the eons of time, that original programming has become corrupted and now the Berserker's programming reads to simply destroy all life. The Berserkers have had untold millenia to create countless numbers of "clones" and the hoards of semi-intelligent machines have destroyed all life across the universe and have just discovered the worlds colonized by humankind. Now WE are at war with the machines!

By the way, one episode of Babylon 5 paid tribute to Saberhagen when John Sheridan encountered one of the Berserker's advance probes!

Hi Randy,
I actually had the Berserker Universe in there. I love Saberhagen's work. Not only the Berserker series but the Dracula and Swords books are good as well.
Star Trek also explored the berserker concept in the TOS and Deep Space 9.

Here is a link you might find very interesting!
http://www.berserker.com/

Great addition to this thread - Thanx!
Wink
Tom
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Bud Brewster"]I'll have to go back and re-read that other thread. I'm still not clear on how "technology and science proved the Three Laws to be nonsense."/quote]

Deductive Reasoning, my friend, Deductive Reasoning
LOL
Randy
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Bud ........

The Berserkers are far to busy destroying life to take the time to read Asmov's three rules. They would just nuke his books along with our planet!
Randy
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom wrote:

Here is a link you might find very interesting!
http://www.berserker.com/

Tom ....

THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought that I had read every single Berserker story prior to Fred Saberhagen passing away.

I was absolutely thrilled to read "Sign Of The Wolf" on your suggested website, "berserker.com".

I just can't thank you enough!
Thanks for joining our forum
Tom
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, No Problem Randy,
At last count I had over 5,000 bookmarks and most of them deal with some type of Speculative Fiction.

One thing I really love to do is Share. Your response is very much appreciated and spurs me to share even more.
I will check my bookmarks and see if there are any more Saberhagen resources for ya when I can get a chance.

Not SciFi but His Swords series is really good Fantasy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Discussions in General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: