ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ultraviolet (1998)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Krel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:40 pm    Post subject: Ultraviolet (1998) Reply with quote

Police Detective Michael Colefield's partner and best friend, Jack, disappears the night before his wedding. While investigating his friends disappearance, he is contacted by Jack. Jack tells Michael that he is in trouble, but he found a way out by becoming...Different. He tries to force Michael to join him. Michael is saved by a covert agency formed to fight the menace.

Michael is taken to their headquarters where he is treated for his wound. He found out that his friend has become a Code Five, shown as Code V. The Squad is supported by the British government and the Vatican.

Michael joins the investigation Unit of the Squad, but is troubled by the ruthless methods they use.

The other core members of the investigation unit are:

Pearse J. Harman the leader and Priest.

Dr. Angela March the Doctor of the group. She became part of the Unit after her Husband became a Code V, and was killed by the Squad.

Vaughn Rice, a former soldier and the sole survivor of a Code V attack on his Army Unit.

The group has the support of strike units and a very large budget.

Physical conflict with the Code V's is almost always fatal, as they are faster and stronger. They travel in sealed coffin like containers with time locks. They can travel during the day. in cars with heavy tinted windows.

Code V's cast no reflection, and are invisible to electronic devices. Their image can not be recorded by tape or film. Their cells can not be seen under an electron microscope. Their voices can not be recorded, but they can speak over the phone by using a voice synthesizer. Their fingerprints can not be recorded with ink on paper. They are vulnerable to ultraviolet light and religious symbols, even while covered by a shirt

The Unit has weapons to fight the Code V's. The handgun of choice is a H&K Mk. 23, .45acp firing special carbon bullets. Their firearms have a special site module for their weapons It is a camera with a video display screen on the side of the weapon. If the target does not appear on the video screen, then they are a Code V. The module can be used without the pistol to examine people*. Another weapon is a carbon spike, VERY dangerous as you have to be very close to use it. They use special gas grenades using allicin (derived from garlic). Also ultraviolet light is a deterrent and a method of detection. Code V bites are invisible, unless seen under ultraviolet light.

The show never, ever utters the word "Vampire". They are only called Code V's or leeches.

The show has six episodes all written and directed by the creator. This is part of the reason why there was no second series, he didn't have time to map out a second series.

In 2000 Fox had an American pilot made. It was reported that they 90210'd it, even the producer admitted that they messed it up.

"Ultraviolet" was a good show, that took an SF slant on Vampires. I'm sorry there was no second series.

David.

* I ABSOLUTELY love this innovation. It was a stroke of pure genius.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, hot damn, all six episodes of this mini-series are available on YouTube!

So, I can just up pick my DISH voice remote and said, "Find Ultraviolet episode 1- Habeas Corpus on YouTube" — and I'm all set for six hours of binge watching!

And the picture quality is terrific! Very Happy

Thanks., David! Cool

__________Ultraviolet episode 1 Habeas Corpus

________ Ultraviolet episode 2 In Nomine Patris

____________ Ultraviolet episode 3 Sub Judice

_____________ Ultraviolet Episode 4 Mea Culpa

_________ Ultraviolet Episode 5 Terra Incognita

_______ Ultraviolet Episode 6 Persona Non Grata

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has several interesting trivia items for this production. Very Happy

~ Creator Joe Ahearne never intended to write and direct all six episodes. While the producers commissioned scripts from other writers, they ultimately felt that no other writers or directors understood Ahearn's vision as well as he. The result was that Ahearn's time was consumed with the development of the first series, and he was never able to outline a second arc. Ahearn also admits that he believes high-concept series are best kept short, so that they don't run out of steam and have to be re-invented.

Note from me: Back in the early 1960s I wondered if it would be a good idea for TV series to have a "predetermined duration", instead of the studios hoping that each series could be milked for every dime by keeping them one the air as long as possible.

Of course, eventually that idea became common with carefully planned miniseries, along the occasional decisions by show runners to end a series while it was still popular so the quality wouldn't go down.

~ The word 'vampire' is never used in the series. Instead, the characters refer to them officially as Code 5's (5 in Roman numerals is 'V'), or unofficially as 'leeches'.

Note from me: This makes perfect sense. Vampires are literally bloodsucking leeches.

~ Susannah Harker, who plays a vampire hunter here, is in reality a descendant of Jonathon Harker, a friend of Bram Stoker, and who was immortalized in Stoker's novel "Dracula".

Note from me: That's an impressive pedigree!

scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultraviolet (1998) Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
The show has six episodes all written and directed by the creator. This is part of the reason why there was no second series, he didn't have time to map out a second series.

I figure at some point the show would run out of common Latin phrases to use as episode titles. Quid pro quo? Caveat emptor? Non compos mentis? Coitus interruptus?
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, that's good, scotpens! Let me add a few.

~ Ad Nauseam

~ Pontius Pilate

~ Corpus Christi

~ Animo Domini Hominy Grits

~ Waxon Waxoph

~ Aqua Velva

Laughing

Krel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultraviolet (1998) Reply with quote

scotpens wrote:
Krel wrote:

I figure at some point the show would run out of common Latin phrases to use as episode titles. Quid pro quo? Caveat emptor? Non compos mentis? Coitus interruptus?

The show's creator also said it was a very expensive show, which was another factor in there not being a second series.

David.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: