ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

War of the Worlds: The Attack (2023)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2021 to Tomorrow
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does appear to have splendid production values. It isn't a period piece which I would have preferred, but at least it's set in jolly old England. So there's that.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archive.org has the full movie, and you can watch it at the link below.

Hey, who's your Daddy? Cool

The Great Martian War

Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the release date is 4/21/23.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMLINDSY wrote:
I would prefer a faithful, period version as well; especially as a miniseries, but it doesn't look like we'll ever get that.

Actually, there has been one. The BBC three part mini series from 2019.

"Set in Edwardian England, this new adaptation of H.G. Wells’ seminal tale –

the first alien invasion story in literature –

follows George (played by Rafe Spall) and his partner Amy (Eleanor Tomlinson) as they attempt to defy society and start a life together.

Rupert Graves is Frederick, George’s elder brother, and Robert Carlyle plays Ogilvy, an astronomer and scientist.

The War of the Worlds tells their story as they face the escalating terror of an alien invasion, fighting for their lives against an enemy beyond their comprehension."

The series is available on multiple streaming services. I watched it on TUBI.

While it only loosly follows the detail of the Wells original it includes many of the elements it. Worth watching....It's miles above the Spielburg attempt.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this looks incredible! Shocked

The tripod designs are brilliant —so spider-like! And in some scenes you can see a few hair-like bristles on the legs, laying close to the limbs.

______ war of the worlds (2019): all tripod scenes

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Bud, the series is very well done! The only real deviations from the Wells novel really just expands and focuses more on Amy and Georges' brother.

George and Amy? H. GEORGE Wells wifes' name was also Amy!

By the way, THANK YOU for finding that documentary video! I've been looking for it for a few years now, having to settle for a few snippets on Youtube.

I read that one reason it was not shown on the History Channel in the US was because since there was NO warning that it was not real they thought the American audience was too dumb to figure it out and they might panic!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
I read that one reason it was not shown on the History Channel in the US was because since there was NO warning that it was not real they thought the American audience was too dumb to figure it out and they might panic!

Not likely. In fact. we've got idiots who don't even believe in the Holocaust, so even if this real, they'd deny it! Rolling Eyes

Tim, my favorite tripod designs are the two shown in the artwork below. Cool

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmlindsey wrote:
]Though, I guess I'm still confused as to why they thought Americans would panic over something that happened nearly 100 years ago (in the context of the 2013 mockumentary). But then I guess we are Americans. Rolling Eyes

That's right! We have the God-given right to panic over any damn thing we want to! Mad
Krel
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one has ever done the Martian war machines ike they were described in the novel. The WM legs were sliding rods as the Martians never discovered the wheel. The Frank R. Paul illustrations follow the descriptions from the novel.

Although the body is probably a bit more streamlined than Well's description. Its been a long time since I've read the novel.

I didn't like the Tom Cruse movie. The characters are annoying, you never see any of the war, and worst of all they made the aliens monkeys. WHY? They were CGI, why not use Well's descriptions of the Martians for the movie.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
No one has ever done the Martian war machines ike they were described in the novel. The WM legs were sliding rods as the Martians never discovered the wheel. The Frank R. Paul illustrations follow the descriptions from the novel.

I know Wells does say that in the book, David, but an advanced race . . . that never discovered the wheel? Is that even possible? Shocked

That would mean there'd be no cogs in their machines. They've never had wind mills or water wheels (although on Mars they probably wouldn't be useful anyway).

There would be no winches for lifting objects or transferring kinetic energy.

And it just seems highly unlikely that the Martians never realized that circular objects and spherical objects were easily moved around — thus suggesting the concept of the wheel.

Krel wrote:
I didn't like the Tom Cruse movie. The characters are annoying, you never see any of the war, and worst of all they made the aliens monkeys. WHY? They were CGI, why not use Well's descriptions of the Martians for the movie.

Nobody liked the Tom Cruise version — not even Tom Cruise's mother. Rolling Eyes
Krel
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite review of the Spielberg movie was short: Aliens invade. Millions die. Tom Cruse learns to be a better father. Laughing

David.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like all literature Wow WAS a portrait and reflection of its' time. Wells had a vision of what could be, but he was limited by the reality of technology of his time.

The real interesting idea presented was . . just HOW does the technology within a culture or society progress?

Our culture was developed through a "not guaranteed" succession of developments.

Imagine if steam tech never came to be. Development of internal combustion technology would never occur. The culture would still be relegated to the physical energy generated by man and beast.

Martian technology went through a very different system of development, yet very different from Terran technology!

Martian technology seemed to be ORGANIC based, therefore the Martian machines were NOT relegated to the mechanical, but to the organic!

In other words the Martian Machines were NOT mechanical . . . but were organic beings in their own right!

In a lot of ways it resembled the Alien culture presented in INDEPENDANCE DAY.

mach7
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
Like all literature Wow WAS a portrait and reflection of its' time. Wells had a vision of what could be, but he was limited by the reality of technology of his time.

The real interesting idea presented was . . just HOW does the technology within a culture or society progress?

Our culture was developed through a "not guaranteed" succession of developments.

Imagine if steam tech never came to be. Development of internal combustion technology would never occur. The culture would still be relegated to the physical energy generated by man and beast.

Martian technology went through a very different system of development, yet very different from Terran technology!

Martian technology seemed to be ORGANIC based, therefore the Martian machines were NOT relegated to the mechanical, but to the organic!

In other words the Martian Machines were NOT mechanical . . . but were organic beings in their own right!

In a lot of ways it resembled the Alien culture presented in INDEPENDANCE DAY.

This is the best post/thoughts on the subject I have read!

The only thing I would change is, in my mind the War Machines are organic constructs built/bred by the Martians for their needs.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love these concepts, gentlemen! What a wonderful way you've come up with for explaining just how incrediblely alien the Martians really were!

And I couldn't help thinking about how the Martian tripods "grew up" out of the ground in the Steven Spielberg version. Of course, that misguided movie wasn't suggesting anything as original as the "organic tripods" concept Gord presented. In fact, that part of the film made not sense at all. Rolling Eyes

However, Gord's radical concept goes a long way towards solving the puzzling notion that the Martian's never invented the wheel.

As he said, ""Martian technology seemed to be ORGANIC based, therefore the Martian machines were NOT relegated to the mechanical, but to the organic!"

This is also consistent with the novel, in which Wells describes the "food" that the Martians brought with them in the cylinders; it was live animals, whose blood the Martians drank during the voyage! Shocked

Yes siree, no squeeze-tube food rations for these astronauts!

Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(that sounds awfully familiar),

Independence Day
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2021 to Tomorrow All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: