ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Death Valley Days

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> TV Shows in Other Genres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Death Valley Days Reply with quote

DVD was a western anthology television show which ran from 1952~1970 for 452 episodes.

Coming in at 18 years, it is the second longest running TV western series just after Gunsmoke which ran for 20 seasons.

What makes this half-hour show interesting is that all of the episodes are based upon real incidents. I'm sure there is the usual ''artistic license'' taken with the truth by Hollywood.

Still, it makes the show intriguing knowing that these people they feature did in fact exist & there is an element of reality to their stories.

Someone kindly posted many DVD episodes on Youtube.
As a lifelong western (and science-fiction devotee of course) I've been really getting a kick out of these episodes.

And it is fun to do research after viewing these episodes on these true life characters & incidents to get the full story.

Highly recommend DVD to any other western fans & historians for an enjoyable half hour.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, those were the days. My father (a devoted fan of Westerns) watched this series, and I saw some of the episodes with him.

In the 1950s and early 1960s, popular series like this one often had only one or two sponsors who subsidized entire seasons, and the cast members would appear in the commercials.

Death Valley Days was sponsored for years by 20 Mule Team Borax (an unusual name for a household product), and the Old Ranger who introduced each episode would would be part of the commercials, too.

_______Death Valley Days Classic TV Commercial

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:

Death Valley Days was sponsored for years by 20 Mule Team Borax soap (an unusual name for a household product), and the Old Ranger who introduced each episode would would be part of the commercials, too.

The chemical compound borax has dozens of uses. It's found in various household laundry and cleaning products, but it isn't a soap or detergent; in laundry it's used as a water softener.

BTW, the famous "20-mule teams" that hauled borax out of Death Valley actually consisted of eighteen mules and two horses.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I didn't know that! I corrected my post by removing the word "soap".

When I said that Borax was an "unusual name for a household product" I was just thinking about how products are usually given appealing names like "Dawn" dish washing detergent and "Zest" bath soap.

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Wikipedia.

Death Valley Days was created by Ruth Woodman and ran on the radio from 1930 until 1945.

The television show had a succession of hosts over its eighteen year run.

Stanley Andrews was "The Old Ranger" and hosted the show from 1952 until 1970.

Ronald Reagan hosted from 1964~1966.

Rosemary De Camp hosted the series in 1965.

Robert Taylor from 1966~1969.

And finally Dale Robertson from 1969~1970.

Some episodes were shot in Kanab, Utah, while the majority of the episodes were filmed in Hollywood.

As the series continued on the air, episodes began to focus on nearly any portion of the American West, not just on Death Valley country.

The first two seasons of the show were produced by Gene Autry's Flying A Productions. Flying A also produced Sky King.

McGowan Productions took over for the 1954~1959 seasons.

Filmaster Productions took over in 1959. Filmaster also produced the first several seasons of the CBS western Gunsmoke.

Sidebar: I always admired the fact that the stories were based upon real life historical stories. Kinda like what Jack Webb did with all his TV series that were based upon real cases.

I also admire the fact that a number of episodes were based upon Ruth Woodman scripts. Female writers for television were extremely rare — almost unheard of —back in that era.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, thanks again for resurrecting a fond memory from my happy childhood days! Very Happy

My father was a lifelong fan of Westerns, so the fact that I remember the name of the series, along with seeing the opening shot of the 20-mule team, is probably just because my father was watching it.

Dad was pleased with the oil painting I did of him in the late 1970s.

But he passed away in 2000 and never got to see the jpeg of a "Western" version I made of a few years ago, using Paint.net. I'm sure he'd have loved it.

It magically transforms him from the retired manager of Delta Air Lines' landing gear maintenance shop at the Jet Base in Atlanta into the "Top Hand" at the Bar ASF Ranch! Very Happy

~ The Space Children (1958)
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are marvelous oil paintings you did, Bruce, of your dad.

My dad also loved westerns, so I grew up watching 'em and loving them too. His other enjoyment was any of the law enforcement or private detective shows. I've also enjoyed those but I'm less drawn to them these days, although I do like Blue Bloods with Tom Selleck. Maybe I became weary of police/detective shows since there are so many....and they keep on a comin.

But I'll never tire of SF or westerns, guess I'm biased.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> TV Shows in Other Genres All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: