ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

memoria (2021)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2021 to Tomorrow
View previous topic :: View next topic  
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:59 pm    Post subject: memoria (2021) Reply with quote

memoria is a 2h16m "sci-fi" movie released in 2021, featuring Tilda Swinton.

I've enjoyed Tilda in several of her appearances ever since Snowpiercer. Can't say the same for this effort, however. Here's Tilda's own reaction after viewing the movie herself:

This is IMDb's plot summary (rated 6.5 out of 10 by 10,000 votes):
Quote:
From the extraordinary mind of Palme D'or winning director Apichatpong Weerasethakul, and starring Academy Award winner Tilda Swinton, comes a bewildering drama about a Scottish woman, who, after hearing a loud 'bang' at daybreak, begins experiencing a mysterious sensory syndrome while traversing the jungles of Colombia.

Calling this a "motion" picture is really a misnomer. The movie moves along at a snail's pace (although that's a slight to snails, which can be perceived as actually moving). After making it all the way to the end of the movie without falling asleep, mainly due to wanting to see if anything made sense by the time it was over, I spent another hour scratching my head trying to figure out what several scenes had to do with anything else around them. (Note the use of the term "bewildering" in the IMDb plot summary above.)

It probably would have helped to read some analytical reviews before watching the movie. I certainly have no desire to sit through it again now that I've read what's going on.

If you're inclined to watch the movie cold, and manage to figure it out yourself without the help of some prep work, I salute you.

WayneO
-----------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2021 to Tomorrow All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: