ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

High Time: 1960

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:01 pm    Post subject: High Time: 1960 Reply with quote

"High Time" released on September 16, 1960 was written by Frank & Tom Walden and directed by Blake Edwards.

Bing Crosby plays wealthy restaurateur Harvey Howard who decides at 51 to obtain a college degree.

Harve's adult son & daughter totally disapprove of this decision, but this doesn't stop Howard one little bit. Harvey exudes a breezy confident charm in spite of his fears that he just may not be up to this challenge he has set for himself.

He intends to have the entire college experience; including rooming with young students, pledging a fraternity, and taking all the required classes he needs for a degree.

Along the way Harvey makes friends and meets a new love who is a professor at the college.

And what's a Bing Crosby movie without Der Bingle singing some songs? Here, we are graced with the lovely "Second Time Around" song.

I found this to be a fun and enjoyable film with a charming cast including Tuesday Weld, Yvonne Craig & Nicole Maurey.

Plenty of laughs & schmaltz with a happy ending.

The speech that Harvey gives to his graduating class at the end is poignant and uplifting.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to find the full movie (or a least a trailer) to post below, but I struck out. There's no trailer, and even though there is a video of the movie, all the dialog has been over-dubbed with a foreign language.

"Over-dubbed" in this case means that both the English and the foreign language can be heard. Bummer . . . Sad

I saw this movie with my family at a drive-in when I was twelve years old. I don't remember what the second feature was, but I do remember enjoying this movie.

The Henry Mancini title theme stuck and my mind, and I still like it. THAT, by gum, I did find on YouTube!
Very Happy

____________ High Time (1960) Henry Mancini

Here's a version with slightly better sound quality, but without the credits.

________________ Henry Mancini - High Time

The Wikipedia article has an item that I found amusing.

Filming was interrupted by the strike of the Screen Actors Guild on 7 March. Fabian's manager was reported as wanting to buy the film so it could be completed.

"Now I've heard everything," wrote Hedda Hopper. "Fabian, who admits he can't sing and is perfectly honest about it, has been in our business a little more than a year."

The strike ended and filming resumed on 12 April.

Fabian later called Bing Crosby "a great artist, a great actor, and a great musical person" but "not a nice man.”

Oh boy, is Hedda right about Fabian's lousy "singing"! But the kid was a fairly good actor, and I enjoy his work in Five Weeks in a Balloon.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:01 pm; edited 4 times in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always enjoyed Bing Crosby's singing and acting.

I am curious as to exactly what Fabian meant by his negative comment regarding Crosby?

I've read enough interviews regarding Bing to be aware that his warm and easygoing screen/TV persona was just one side of him and hardly the whole package.

His son Gary Crosby wrote in his autobiography "Going My Own Way'' that his father was a very tough taskmaster and would whip his four sons whenever he felt they needed to be punished.

Others report Crosby as a man with ice water in his veins who could abandon friendships very easily if he was of a mind to do so.

Former child actress Pamelyn Ferdin, who is writing her autobiography, was a guest star on "The Bing Crosby Show'' TV sitcom.

Ferdin generally reports that the majority of folks that she worked with when she was an actress were all pretty decent with three exceptions : Bing, Gene Kelly, Jerry Lewis.

She found Bing very distant and cold.

I'll continue to enjoy the performer Bing Crosby. Not sure I would have ever liked the man Bing Crosby.

Last edited by Pow on Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
I tried to find the full movie (or a least a trailer) to post below, but I struck out. There's no trailer, and even though there is a video of the movie, all the dialog has been over-dubbed with a foreign language.

"Over-dubbed" in this case means that both the English and the foreign language can be heard. Bummer . . . Sad

A lot of foreign-language movies are shown in Russia with voice-over translation rather than proper dubbing. I guess the Russians are used to it.

Wiki link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice-over_translation#In_Russia
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wikipedia Trivia:

Original titles for this movie were "Big Daddy", & "Daddy-O.

Sidebar: They definitely were right to drop these lame titles. Bing's character mentions that "It's high time someone in this family gets a college education." So it is appropriate for the movie to use that expression as the film's title.

Gary Cooper was to star in the film until his terminal illness forced him to decline the role. The writers then rewrote the script to fit Crosby and his musical talents.
Sidebar: Crosby & Cooper were good friends in real life. Bing named one of his sons after Cooper.

The movie was filmed at UCLA, Stockton Junior High School, Amos Alonzo Stagg High School, Stockton California.

Richard Beymer & Tuesday Weld had a real life romance while filming the movie.

Sidebar: Lucky devil.

The song "The Second Time Around" was nominated for an Oscar as Best Song in a Movie. It would be the last time Bing would have such an honor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: