ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Great Man (1956)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:51 pm    Post subject: The Great Man (1956) Reply with quote

"The Great Man'' was originally released in December of 1956 and produced by Universal Pictures.

Written by Al Morgan and Jose Ferrer; directed by Jose Ferrer.

Joe Harris (Jose Ferrer) is a popular and well established NYC radio news reporter. His beat is Broadway Entertainment; his style has a wiseguy attitude.

Herb Fuller is the network's undisputed star and a legend in the industry. When Fuller is killed in an automobile accident, Joe Harris is assigned by the president of the network to prepare the laudatory memorial extravaganza to be aired on both radio and television covering Fuller's life.

However, as Harris begins his investigation into the beloved Fuller's life he slowly discovers the man was really an alcoholic, unethical womanizing egomaniac who became a star nonetheless.

This is a gem of a movie that I only discovered recently. It isn't a well known film from the 1950s but really deserves to be.

It could be considered a companion film to the superb "A Face In The Crowd" directed by Elia Kazan.

The film follows Joe as he begins to investigate Fuller's life in order to write the posthumous salute to Fuller.

Harris is stunned as bit-by-bit he uncovers the truth about Fuller and it isn't at all pretty.

As he finishes his investigation, Harris must now decide what he's going to do? Perpetuate the Fuller myth as a 'Great Man,' or risk career suicide and reveal Fuller for the despicable human being he really was?

I found this film absorbing as it moves right along at a nice pace. A collection of top notch actors and a terrific script make this one darn entertaining movie.

The Herb Fuller character was loosely based upon radio star Arthur Godfrey.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well damn, I couldn't find the trailer for this movie! Sad

Shucks, I guess we'll just have to watch the whole movie . . . which YouTube has a fine copy of! Very Happy

Thanks, Mike! I know we'll all enjoy it.[color=#E6E6E6\[/color]

____________ The Great Man (1956 Full Movie)

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Krel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago my older Sister game me a book of Hollywood quotes. A hated figure in Hollywood died and had an enormous funeral. A man said to Red Skelton that he couldn't understand it. The deceased was one of the most hated men in Hollywood, but hundreds of people were were attending his funeral.

Red Skelton replied that it just goes to prove the old saying. If you give the people what they want, they will come in droves.

David.
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
Years ago my older Sister gave me a book of Hollywood quotes. A hated figure in Hollywood died and had an enormous funeral. A man said to Red Skelton that he couldn't understand it. The deceased was one of the most hated men in Hollywood, but hundreds of people were were attending his funeral.

Red Skelton replied that it just goes to prove the old saying. If you give the people what they want, they will come in droves.

The subject of that possibly apocryphal story was Columbia Pictures boss Harry Cohn. While most of the old-school Hollywood studio moguls were known for being sons of bitches, Cohn had a reputation as an S.O.B. among S.O.B.s.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The late, great Orson Welles told Dick Cavett in an interview that he missed Harry Cohn.

A startled Cavett asked why, since he was known as a bastard among bastards.

Orson replied that all the studio chiefs were bastards, which was why he liked Cohn, he was what he was and made no pretenses about it. You knew just where you stood with him.

Other movie studio heads would glad hand you, smile and schmooze you and act like your best friend. Behind your back they'd reveal their real selves, talk dirt about you and stab you (many times) in the back.

Harry never once tried to fool Wells or anyone, what you saw was what you got as awful as it was. Nasty as hell he was, no doubt about it, but he never attempted to charm or fool anyone that he was anything else other than "King Cohn." .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: