ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Space Angel (1962~1964)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:57 pm    Post subject: Space Angel (1962~1964) Reply with quote

"Space Angel" was an animated television show that was created by Dick Darley and was a Cambria Production.

In the future there exists the Earth Bureau of Investigation's Interplanetary Space Force.

Captain/pilot Scott McCloud flies the spacecraft known as the Starduster. The Starduster has a single pilot shuttle called the Space Dart. His crew consists of electronics/communications expert Crystal Mace; and engineer/gunner Taurus (voiced by Hal "Otis Campell" Smith on The Andy Griffith Show).

Scott and his crew are under the command of Professor Mace, Crystal's father, operating from the space station Evening Star.

The code name Space Angel is used by Scott as a secret identity. When he appears as SA, he lowers the dark-tinted visor on his helmet in order to conceal his identity.

The series had 52 stories with each one running in 5 parts for a total of 260 episodes.

The show utilized the Synchro-Vox lip technique that made it appear that the cartoon characters lips appear to move in a life-like manner.

The animation was limited in the show but the artistic designs by the legendary Alex Toth are fantastic looking even now.
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: Space Angel (1962~1964) Reply with quote

Pow wrote:

. . . The show utilized the Synchro-Vox lip technique that made it appear that the cartoon characters lips appear to move in a life-like manner.

The lips did more than "appear to move in a life-like manner." Live-action footage was taken of the voice actors' mouths as they spoke their lines. The film was then superimposed on still drawings of the cartoon characters' faces. The effect was also used in the Cambria Studios productions Clutch Cargo and Captain Fathom.

I don't know about you guys, but I was creeped out by those real human lips when I first saw those cartoons on TV at the age of five or six.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the visual effect for the lip moving quite fascinating at the time, but I was also older than you were at the time Scotpens.

What I remember is loving not only the sci-fi premise to the series, but the marvelous Alex Toth designs.

I was always disappointed when "Clutch Cargo" episodes would be on instead of "Space Angel." Both shows utilized the Synchro-Vox lip tech.

Cargo, if I recall correctly, also was played more for laughs which never got a chuckle out of me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: