ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bride of the Monster (1955)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Bride of the Monster (1955) Reply with quote

__

Some directors create movies which are so bad they are actually fun to watch. The movies of Edward D. Wood, Jr. are frequently advertised as being in this category, but it's a highly arguable claim. The sad fact about Wood's movies is that he didn't even know they were bad. Compare his films to the boldly ridiculous "Robot Monster" by Phil Tucker, or the accidentally brilliant "The Green Slime" by Kenji Fukasaku.

"Bride of the Monster" is a prime example of Wood's pathetic ineptitude. Bela Lugosi plays a mad scientist, Tor Johnson is his victim-creation (with no spoken dialogue, as usual), and Tony McCoy plays the hero (because his father gave Wood the money to make the movie). This was the 76-year-old Lugosi's last speaking role, partly because he had so much trouble remembering his lines. In one scene he describes Tor as being "as harmless as a kitchen." He was supposed to say kitten.

The closest thing to a special effect is a scene in which Lugosi "fights" a giant octopus. The octopus was a non-working mechanical prop borrowed from another film, and Eddie Parker was Lugosi's stand-in for the scene. Parker rolls around on the floor and pretends to struggle with the limp tentacles. In the movie "Ed Wood", this scene depicts an ailing Lugosi doing the scene himself, late at night, despite his failing health.

To quote the X-Files, "The truth is out there . . . "

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:55 pm; edited 8 times in total
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Bride of the Monster Reply with quote

When I first saw this movie on TV in the early '60s I thought it was pretty good. Of course I was a pre-teen. On repeated viewings you notice that it is fun but not so good.

I did enjoy the ending, but no spoilers here.
Very Happy
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This movie might not be great, but it has a classic trailer with all the bells and whistles!

___________ Bride of the Monster trailer (1955)

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

________________ Bride Of The Monster (1955)

I was surprised to discover that IMDB has 39 trivia items! Here's some of the more interesting ones.

~ According to Paul Marco, Edward D. Wood Jr. thought that Bela Lugosi's memory might not be very good, so for Lugosi's long speech, Wood had the prop man make cue cards. Lugosi, upset, insisted he didn't need cue cards and he would "memorize it." Wood still insisted on the cue cards, telling Lugosi, "We have to be safe".

Lugosi went to Marco for help. He had Marco promise not to show him the cue cards during the scene. Marco held the cards at his side the whole time and Lugosi never looked over once. After Lugosi's performance the whole crew got up and applauded.

Note from me: This certainly refutes the claim made in "The Golden Turkey Awards", which stated that Lugosi flubbed his lines because of his mental state.

This next item is also related to that claim.

~ In 1980, the book "The Golden Turkey Awards" claims that Bela Lugosi's character declares his manservant Lobo (Tor Johnson) "as harmless as kitchen" [sic]. This allegedly misspoken line is cited as evidence of either Lugosi's failing health/mental faculties, or as further evidence of Wood's incompetence as a director. However, a viewing of the film itself reveals that Lugosi said this line correctly, the exact words being, "Don't be afraid of Lobo; he's as gentle as a kitten."

The easier explanation would be that authors Michael Medved and Harry Medved saw the film in a theater setting with inferior sound quality. A single viewing in such conditions could result in mishearing some lines of dialogue. Unfortunately, the inaccurate claim managed to achieve urban legend status, and it keeps circulating.

Note from me: These next two items are related.

~ This was Edward D. Wood Jr.'s only financially successful film upon original release.

~ Box office receipts from the film led to distributor Samuel Z. Arkoff being able to set up American International Productions.

Note from me: I guess that means this one is the cream of the crop, so to speak.

~ The prop octopus was stolen from Republic Studios and was constructed for the John Wayne film Wake of the Red Witch (1948). The motor which controlled the octopus' tentacles was not stolen with it, as is obvious to the casual viewer. Additionally, one of the tentacles was torn off in the process of stealing it out of the property room.

Note from me: In the movie Ed Wood we see a reenactment of the theft. This next item relates to the prop octopus as well.

~ Contrary to popular legend, Bela Lugosi cannot be seen fighting the rubber octopus in the sump (filmed in Griffith Park). Close examination of the scene reveals a stunt double doing battle. In fact, all the shots of Vornoff carrying Janet through the brush and moving down the hill, reveal a stunt double for Lugosi. Even the real close-ups of Lugosi during these sequences appear to have been shot on a stage with black backing.

Note from me: In Ed Wood the reenactment of Lugosi's character "fighting" with the inert octopus looks just as silly as the real scene in the movie. Very Happy

~ Tony McCoy was cast in the male lead role, primarily because his father, Arizona entrepreneur Donald E. McCoy, was the owner of Packing Service Corp. (a meat packing concern), and a major investor in the film, and insisted that son Tony get the lead role. SInce he was providing the money, Tony got the role.

Note from me: "Daddy, I want to be in monster movie!" — "Sure, son. I'll take care of it."

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:01 pm; edited 3 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a great double feature, complete with vintage drive-in "welcome messages", two terrific trailers, a Three Stooges episode, and then the double feature!

"So, get comfortable, folks! Just sit back, relax, and enjoy the show!" Very Happy

Enjoy!
_

Bride of the Monster and The Unearthly DRIVE-IN DOUBLE FEATURE (Plus 3 Stooges 3D comedy short "SPOOKS")

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: