ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shadow On the Land (1968)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:52 pm    Post subject: Shadow On the Land (1968) Reply with quote

"Shadow On the Land" premiered on the ABC television network on December 4, 1968.

Created by Sidney Sheldon. Written by Nedrick Young. Directed by Richard C. Sarafian.

This TV-movie also served as a backdoor pilot for a weekly series.

Synopsis: In a dystopian future of the United States, the POTUS creates a fascist totalitarian regime which is overseen by the ruthless I.S.F. (Internal Security Force).

A underground group known as The Society of Man forms a resistance movement against this draconian America.

The plot was adapted from the Sinclair Lewis novel "It Can't Happen Here" which was published on October 21, 1936.

In the Lewis novel, Senator Berzelius "Buzz" Windrip is a charismatic power hungry politician who wins the 1936 presidential election.

Windrip portrays himself as a champion of traditional American values who promises to restore the country to prosperity and greatness.

He foments fear as he promises drastic economic and social reforms.

Once in office, Windrip takes complete control of the US government and imposes a totalitarian rule on the nation with the help of a ruthless paramilitary force at his command.

Windrip is less a Nazi in the mold of Adolph Hitler, or a communist similar to Joseph Stalin. He really doesn't have a specific ideology or political goals beyond his own wanton greed for absolute power.

He is a con-man, a manipulator who appeals to people's desperation in his constant lust for power.

I remember seeing this television movie back in 1968 and finding it interesting. I also thought that while it presented a frightening possible future for America, it was more a fantasy and could never unfold in our nation's reality.

Then Trump came along! He fits beautifully Sinclair Lewis's profile of Windrip.

The TV-movie (Currently on Youtube) does not show or delve into the POTUS character. So how much he would have been similar to the Lewis POTUS we'll never know.

I was quite amazed that any television network would ever tackle such a topic in 1968, let alone present it as a possible weekly show had it been picked up.

1968 TV was still generally safe and compliant. The networks did not tackle real issues, tough, hot-button topics. They lived in fear of offending both the audience and their commercial sponsors.

To that end, the networks usually preferred escapist entertainment such as shows like "The Wild Wild West," or bland vanilla series like "My Three Sons."

No feathers were ruffled.

So to see a TV-movie where a power hungry U.S. Senator is elected to our highest office in the land and transforms the nation into a dictatorship is stunning for 1968.

Perhaps the network also felt this was such a far-fetched prediction for America with no chance of it ever happening that Americans could sit back and watch this TV-movie that had the credibility of "The Wizard of Oz."

I'm not sure if "Shadow On the Land" ever had a real shot of being picked up. Networks make pilots for potential TV series all the time that never get past the pilot stage.

Perhaps if SOTL had made it on the network schedule, the execs would have watered it down so as not to offend viewers or paying sponsors. They might have panicked if the show was allowed to have teeth and really dig into issues. The network would have just cancelled the series.

I just find it fascinating that such a premise was ever considered in 1968.

And even more fascinating to me is that we just went through an abomination of a presidency that eerily resembled both this TV-movie, and before that, the Sinclair Lewis novel.

So yeah, laddies & gentlemen, it can — and has — happened here.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

POW wrote:
And even more fascinating to me is that we just went through an abomination of a presidency that eerily resembled both this TV-movie, and before that, the Sinclair Lewis novel.

So yeah, laddies & gentlemen, it can — and has — happened here.

Pow posted his remarks on December 21, 2020.

Ironically, just two weeks later — on January 6th — Former President Trump invited his crazy crowd of supporters to rally near the Capitol and listen to a stirring speech about how the election had been stolen. Then he told the mob to march down to the capitol to protest this imaged injustice.

The "protesters" trashed the Capitol building and threatened to kill the politicians who were serving the democratic system of free and fair elections.

Trump promised to go with them. He lied. Big surprise, huh? Rolling Eyes

And today, in an exclusive audio recording obtained by CNN,
we've learned that back in March, Former President Donald Trump called the crowd that had gathered for his speech before the deadly US Capitol insurrection "loving".

The former President added, "There was a lot of love. I've heard that from everybody. Many, many people have told me that was a loving crowd."

So, either Trump is still surrounded by butt-kissing Yes Men . . . or he's hearing imaginary voices that tell him what he desperately wants to believe.
Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had Shadow On the Land made it to being picked up as a weekly series I think that the creators should have given the Society of Man some gadgets to level the playing field (somewhat) for the freedom fighters going up against the oppressive U.S. government.

These devices could have been developed by the top scientific minds of America who were also members of S.O.M. They could be passed on to the S.O.M. by members of the C.I.A., F.B.I., NASA, or the military who vehemently disagree with the now ruthlessly repressive administration in power. Some gizmos could have been given to S.O.M. from other nations around the world in the fight for freedom, and some for a healthy fee.

They could have had items along the lines of the communicator pen from The Man From U.N.C.L.E., dart gun from Genesis II, or some of the nifty contrivances as seen on Mission: Impossible. I'm not suggesting that the S.O.M have a vast array of machines that can assist them every week, or so futuristic that look like they belong on Star Trek. Just enough to give them an edge over the enormous government they must somehow overthrow.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great ideas!

As for the number of gadgets the S.O.M. agents should have, we sci-fi geeks feel that the idea of "too many gadgets" is like saying a person can be too tough, too tan, too good looking, and have too much money! Laughing

And I don't think the gadgets could be too "futuristic" either. These days the world of design has surpassed the best science fiction movies (in some ways). So, there's no need to hold back on flashy designs!

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not suggesting that the rebel group could not have cool looking tech from a design standpoint. They just shouldn't have tech so far beyond their own (draconian) government that's currently in power that it's illogical.

The S.O.M. should not have phaser-like weapons when their own government doesn't possess anything like it at all. Wouldn't make sense one side has technology centuries beyond the other side when they are all the same planet and sharing the same history.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah-ha. I understand. You're absolutely right. Very Happy

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You doubted the great and powerful Pow!?!
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Lord, no! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: