ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Connecticutt Yankee (1931)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1900 to 1949
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:15 am    Post subject: A Connecticutt Yankee (1931) Reply with quote

_________

This highly whimsical version of the Mark Twain time travel yarn is packed with jokes! Very Happy

Will Rogers plays the Connecticut hayseed who finds himself transported back to Ye Olde England and proceeds to modernize King Arthur's realm with factories, telephone service, and knights who ride around with signs which advertise the new products being made! Shocked

Myrna Loy (The Thin Man series) plays Merlin's sister, Morgan le Fay, and Maureen O'Sullivan (the Tarzan series) is King Arthur's daughter.

There's almost a time machine which causes Will Rogers' temporal adventure — a wacky scientist in a ancient castle/estate invents an elaborate radio which can pick up voices from the pasts . . . ummm, somehow . . . and shortly after hearing King Arthur's voice and accident knocks Will down, causing him to wake up in 6th century.

Yes, it's all a dream.

But the inclusion of Will's attempt to bring technology to Camelot puts this movie a step closer to sci-fi than Dorothy's all-expense-paid vacation in OZ.

I was surprised that YouTube had neither a trailer nor the complete movie. I DVRed it from TCM a few days ago, so keep an eye on their schedule for future airings.

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen this version, only the wonderful 1948 musical iteration starring Bing Crosby and the Rhonda Fleming who recently passed away just last year.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote my post above before I'd finished watching the movie. I had no idea what was coming in the amazing climax!

Will Rogers and King Arthur are captured by the evil Morgan le Fay, and they're about to be hanged when all the knights from Camelot arrive to rescue them . . . traveling in 174 automobiles, one WWI tank, and an autogyro aircraft!

No swords and lances for these knights! They're armed with submachine guns to mow down the knights fighting for the evil queen, and dynamite to completely destroy her castle!

It was a completely unexpected turn of events, and was dazzled by it. Very Happy

Krel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPOILERS! Laughing

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, David, I didn't mean to spoil the movie. Sad

But I doubted anybody would bother watching this rare film if I didn't promote it aggressively! I almost gave up on it myself during the first part. Shocked

Besides, who knows if TCM will ever show it again? They've never shown it before (to be best of my knowledge). And I promise you'll still be amazed by all the surprises I DIDN'T reveal!

And of course, if TCM finally does show it again in a few years (and if you folks actually manage to watch it), you probably won't remember much about my post! Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1900 to 1949 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: