ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A Boy and His Dog (1975)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has several interesting trivia items for this production. Very Happy

~ One of the reasons the film now enjoys cult status is because of its blackly comic last line. Ironically, Harlan Ellison hated this and actively campaigned to have it removed.

Note from me: Harlan is kind of a prima donna. The line perfectly fits both the characters and the movie itself.

~ At a science-fiction convention, there was a pre-release screening of this film. At the end, when writer Harlan Ellison came on stage and invited comments, the most common one was that the portion of the movie taking place in "The Underground" was really slow-moving (a polite way of saying "boring").

Ellison was very defensive about this and responded to the effect that The Underground was a boring, stultifying place and the movie was intended to convey that. The audience did not find this to be a satisfying answer.

Note from me: "The Underground" was not only boring, it was totally unconvincing. Filming outdoor scenes at night (so that the background was dark) was a cheap and ineffective way of portraying a subterranean community.

~ According to "Cult Movies 2," a sequel was planned called "A Girl And His Dog," but the dog died shortly after the movie's release.

Note from me: This is kind of a wacky statement. I mean, did they actually cancel the sequel because the dog died? Sounds bogus. And the odd title means (I guess) that a girl is now the new companion of Don Johnson's telepathic, self-aware canine.

~ After about 600 auditions, Tim McIntire (who was also the film's composer) landed the voice part of Blood.

Note from me: I'd be more likely to believe that a sequel was canceled because Tim McIntire died — but even if that happened, I'm sure that a talented voice man could be found who sounded very similar to Mr. McIntire.

~ Tim McIntire, who performed the voice of "Blood", sang the main title song, "A Boy and His Dog."

Note from me: I didn't know that! The song is cool!

___________ A boy and his dog ending song

~ James Cagney was considered for the voice of Blood, but the idea was dropped because Cagney's fame would have been a distraction from the character.

Note from me: I suspect they were right not to use Cagney's voice. For one thing, the voice of Blood (the dog) projected a pleasant laid-back quality that I don't think Cagney could give it. He's always so energetic and tightly wound.

Even if the talented Mr. Cagney tried to sound "laid back", I'm not sure it would be nearly as appealing as Tim McIntire's performance.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: