ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hulk (2003)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:54 pm    Post subject: Hulk (2003) Reply with quote

Until the Avengers managed to "weaponize" the Hulk, I just wasn't able to get into this famous Marvel character.

And yet, I once owned the first issue of the comic. I sold it and about a 100 comics in the 1980s for $800 at a ComiCon in Atlanta. They were in a footlocker which also contained the first Spider-Man issue the first Thor issue.

A mint condition copy of Hulk #1 sold for $125,475 in 2009.

Damn . . . Smile

And yet, as I mentioned, the Hulk has just never captured my imagination. Why?

Here's why.

He's just a big, brainless, violent, dangerous engine of destruction! Does he fight crime? Does he battle evil? Does he pit his awesome strength against villains?

Hell no!

He's just a mild-mannered scientist who occasionally gets pissed off, grows real big, and causes a lot of damage because he has such a bad temper!

This first Hulk movie makes no attempt to turn the character into anything but a walking natural disaster. He's got a gorgeous girlfriend who can't control him any better than the rest of mankind!

But what The Avengers did was suggest that the Hulk could be carefully managed and controlled, working closely with the brilliant man he really was to employ his awesome strength when they battled powerful aliens who invaded Earth.

At last . . . a Hulk who didn't just act like hurricane Irma!
Very Happy

____________________ Hulk (2003) - trailer

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has several interesting trivia items for this production. Very Happy

~ Billy Crudup turned down the role of Bruce Banner. Also considered were Tom Cruise, Johnny Depp, Jeff Goldblum, David Duchovny, and Steve Buscemi.

Note from me: Frankly, this sounds bogus. I can't imagine any of those actors in the role of Banner. Not a single one of them. Rolling Eyes

~ An early draft of the script, written by Jonathan Hensleigh in August 1997, had Bruce Banner performing experiments with gamma-irradiated insect DNA on convicts, transforming them into insect-men whom the Hulk then battles.

Note from me: Raise your hand if you think Stan Lee would be comfortable with the idea that a reputable scientist in his comics would perform experiments on "convicts". (Guys . . . my hand is NOT raised.) Sad

~ How does Bruce keep his pants on when he turns into the super-size Hulk? "We had lots of talks about it," says visual effects supervisor Dennis Muren.

"We realized we couldn't show his stuff, so we figured when he's in a government immersion cell, those were military, stretchable pants.

But earlier on, it was more difficult to rationalize. So we figured he just wears stretchy pants." Banner does lose his boxers in one scene, but his Lycra blend isn't to blame: Dogs rip his clothes off.

Note from me: The Hulk's "expanding pants" are just as ridiculous as Clark Kent's glasses — which somehow prevented anyone from realizing the obvious fact that Clark is Superman! Rolling Eyes

~ This was Jennifer Connelly's second comic book movie. The first was The Rocketeer (1991).

Note from me: I don't care for this movie about the Hulk, but I'm delighted to finally have the Blu-ray of The Rocketeer!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2001 to 2010 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: