ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Brain From Planet Arous (1957)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject: The Brain From Planet Arous (1957) Reply with quote

____

The concept is pretty good, but the amateurish treatment spoils the effort.

While conducting field work in the desert, scientist John Agar encounters a huge floating brain which turns out to be a sadistic, power-hungry alien named Gor, a fugitive from its home planet. The alien can become translucent and fade into Agar's body, controlling him while it delights in the pleasures of human flesh.

But it has to come out every twenty hours to "re-oxygenate" (?).

Admittedly the alien is well designed (the brain has strange glowing eyes with no pupils). Whenever Gor/Agar is using his telekinetic powers, Agar's eyes become shiny black orbs (a nice bit of makeup, but I've heard the contacts hurt like the dickens).

Gor/Agar demonstrates his telekinetic powers of destruction to a group of generals and diplomats by "willing" an atomic explosion to occur in the nearby desert (great stock footage of buildings being destroyed by shock waves and heat flashes). Then Gor/Agar orders them to put the Earth's population to work creating a space fleet so he can return to his own planet and conquer it.

Meanwhile a second alien named Vol comes to Earth to save it from Gor. To spy on Gor, Vol takes control of Agar's dog. Vol/Dog elicits the aid of Agar's fiance (lovely Joyce Meadows), who already knew something was wrong with Agar when he turned kinky and tried to rape her on a lawn chair.

Well, I mean — heck, he is from the planet Arous, right? I'm sure that's just a hoot and holler from the planet Eros.

Beware: the finale is a short and unexciting struggle between Agar (armed with an axe) and the floating brain. And Agar's closing line to his fianc?? is painfully stupid. When she tries to tell him that a good-guy alien has been in control of the dog, John doesn't believe her! He just laughs and says, "Oh, Honey that imagination of yours!"

Directed by Nathan Juran (under the pseudonym Hertz).[/size]

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:10 pm; edited 9 times in total
Krel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He keeps an axe in his office? Living room? Anyway, HE KEEPS AN AXE IN HIS HOUSE! Shocked Maybe she should be worried about that.

I haven't seen this movie since I was a little kid in the 60s. I don't remember much about it, even after the description. I do remember them using a clip from the film in the "Malcolm in the Middle" credits.

John Agar said that he was offered either a salary, or a cut of the film's profits. He said that he looked at the floating brain prop, and picked salary! Laughing

David.
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! My Godfather keeps two axes (different kinds) and a hatchet in his house. His house is almost 40 miles from the nearest town and his house uses a large fireplace for heating.

Maybe something similar, here?
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The floating brain prop probably looks a little better on screen than it did in real life. And the gif below, which shows how John was able to smack the poor thing around like a party balloon doesn't inspire confidence either.

But doesn't Miss Meadows look fetching?

I put the gif at the bottom so you wouldn't have to read my message while trying not to look at the constant motion. I'm glad none of our members has a gif as an avatar. I can't concentrate while one of those things repeats the same motion over and over and over and over . . . Shocked

After you stare at this for a few seconds it starts to look like he's spanking it!
Wink

~ The Space Children (1958)

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:36 pm; edited 3 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
I'm glad none of our members has a gif as an avatar. I can't concentrate while one of those things repeats the same motion over and over and over and over . . . Shocked

Doh! Just as I was thinking about animating Eadie's avatar!

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister, if you do that, I'll give all your EDCA's to HER! Evil or Very Mad

No, wait. Even better. When I send your T-shirt, I'll make it a small.
Twisted Evil

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
noetic_hatter
Planetary Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.

Steve gets taken over by an alien brain and becomes all Rapey and Dickish.

Sally, his superhot fiance, keeps getting told to hush up because men are talking.

Also, there's a long scene centered around who's going to do the dishes.

Yup. This movie sucks bollocks. And it also rules.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That, sir, is a remarkably balanced assessment of the film and an accurate statement about how we can't help but love this movie — warts and all, so to speak.
Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hatter, are you in or from England? You "talk" like Hugh Grant.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy these fine copies of both the trailer and the movie!

_____The Brain From Planet Arous (1957) Trailer

__________The Brain From Planet Arous (1957)

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: The Brain From Planet Arous - (1957) Reply with quote

The poster artist didn't think Agar from Arous looked evil enough, so he took some artistic license with his teeth.

Bud Brewster wrote:
Well, I mean — heck, he is from the planet Arous, right? I'm sure that's just a hoot and holler from the planet Eros.

And only one letter away from "arouse".

WayneO
-----------
Bogmeister
Galactic Fleet Vice Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching this, I realized that The Hidden (1987) copied much of the premise from here — the bad alien on Earth pursued by the good alien.

Both aliens can take possession of Earth entities. A nuclear physicist (John Agar) and his buddy (Robert Fuller) head to a desolate desert location to check out strange radiation readings. They find a new cave — uh oh — and inside is . . . the titular character.

The bad alien is on a power trip. Its plans are obvious — to rule! to take over! With Agar under its control, the alien likes to express itself with a maniacal grin while zapping airplanes or people, its eyes luminous.

It also behaves very amorously towards Agar's fiancee (Joyce Meadows), to the point that she calls him a caveman. Then it holds a meeting with military & political leaders, explaining its grand plan — bwha-ha-ha-ha!

Each alien has a distinctive voice. The bad alien, Gor, has a very arrogant, melodramatic voice. The good alien, Vol, has a very calm, rational voice.

The ending is baffling in its abruptness. It seems like a happy ending, but I'd be interested to see how Agar's character explains his actions to all the leaders who witnessed him commit mass devastation.

BoG's Score: 5 out of 10

BoG
Galaxy Overlord Galactus

Last edited by Bogmeister on Mon May 20, 2019 2:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bogmeister wrote:
The ending is baffling in its abruptness. It seems like a happy ending, but I'd be interested to see how Agar's character explains his actions to all the leaders who witnessed him commit mass devastation.

Good Lord, Bog is a genius! Why has that never occurred to me before! Shocked

* * * * * SPOILER ALERT! * * * * * *

Bog is right about the strange ending, too. Joyce Meadows tells Agar that their dog has been possessed by Vol, the "good" Brain from Planet Arous. Then she calls the dog into the room and pleads with it to tell Agar what it's been doing to help him.

Unfortunately, we just saw Vol float out of the dog while it watched through the window, and the brain apparently heads back to its home planet.

So, poor Joyce ends up talking to a clueless, tall-wagging mutt! After a few moments of this, Agar wraps his arms around her, pulls her firmly against him, and chuckles as he delivers the most witless closing line in Hollywood history.

"You and your imagination . . ." Laughing

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eadie
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to IMDb: Dale Tate as Professor/Voices of Gor & Vol (uncredited).
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking Outside the "Plot"!

This weird/wacky/wonderful movie deserves a discussion about it's crazy/cool premise! Cool

I mean, come on! Two creepy "floating brains with glowing eyes" from a distant planet come to Earth in spaceships, the first of which seems to blow up when it lands! And that happens right at the end of the title work! Confused

One brain (Gor) is evil and powerful and determined to conquer the world, not to mention wanting to rape Joyce Meadows on a deck chair while inhabiting John Agar's body! Shocked

The other brain (Vol) is here to stop Gor's evil plan and save Earth.

And who does Vol chose to inhabit? George . . . Joyce Meadows' loyal German shepherd, who attacks John Agar and pulls him off Joyce during the rape attempt.

Finding interesting concepts to discuss in this kinky story isn't easy, but with the help my vast intellect (and six Milwaukee's Best Ice malt liquors), here's what I came up with.

~ A Question for the Members: Why did Vol choose to inhabit a German shepherd to accomplish his mission by defeating Gor?

~ My Theory: It sounds nuttier than an Almond Joy, but while watching the movie you'll notice things that lead you to believe that Vol knew exactly what he was doing! The fact that the dog attacked Gor/Agar during the sexual assault and succeeded in stopping his attack on Joyce is significant.

The question we should ask is, "Why didn't Gor use his awesome powers to just kill the dog, the way did with poor Agar's colleague in the cave when the two men first encountered Gor?"

Well heck, that's obvious! Very Happy

Since Gor/Agar has made his lecherous intentions very plain in several scenes (even going so far as to ask Joyce to promise she'd marry him), he therefore tolerates the dog because she's Joyce beloved pet! (We all know that girls don't marry guys who brutally kill their pets. It's just a fact of life.)

Furthermore, Gor/Agar doesn't suspect that Vol/George is his enemy, so he doesn't realize that the dog's affectionate behavior towards him (even after the brief rape-attempt rescue) is actually Vol's way of sticking close to Gor/Agar!

Even before this frightening moment with Joyce on the deck chair, she notices that Agar is acting strangely, but she doesn't know why until Vol later reveals himself to Joyce and explains what's going on, along with his plans to defeat Gor.

Soon thereafter, we see Vol choose the dog as his "Earthly body", which gives him a perfect place to "hide in plain sight" so that he's right there with Joyce whenever Gor/Agar is with her.

If you need to review the movie to offer new comments, here it is on YouTube. Very Happy

____________ The Brain from Planet Arous (1957)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: