ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Droning by Tom Yourk
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Off-Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maurice, I won't pretend I understood more than 10% of what you said above, but you said it so well it was still fun to read! Very Happy

However. I understood enough to remember my frustration when I made numerous stereo recordings with my family in Disney World in 1996, hoping to created perfect audio memories of those events.

Several times over the years I've also made recordings in movie theaters when my friends and I watched features like Return of the Jedi when it was first released! Very Happy

Imagine being able to travel back in time and watch movies like that one AGAIN for the first time . . . surround by your best friends! Very Happy

All my beloved efforts to preserve those moments on cassette tapes are enjoyable . . . but they're flawed by the
"echo effect" which such recordings get when made with devices like the one I used, shown below — despite its two built-in left-and-right microphones.

So, one of these days I might be able to correct those flaws — and then journey back in time to enjoy those moments with my family and my friends . . . without the flaws my recordings have. Very Happy
Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a drone story.

Some of you may have seen videos of my drones flying over a local park which has a pond. I call this place The Pond and often bring my dogs to this pond for exercise. I can only spell pond otherwise the dogs get all excited thinking they’re going to their favorite play area.

However back to the story at hand. It’s a nice area to fly a drone, especially for testing.

On one occasion I took out a new drone, and it was testing fine . . . until it had a mind of its own and took off over the water where it eventually sank!

This is the kind of glitch that we as drone operators must always recognize as a possibility. In any case the drone was gone, I tried to retrieve it with fishing hooks, but no luck.

On this occasion out at the pond with my dog, I noticed that the pond had been drained. Apparently there was a leak. And wouldn’t you know it, I could actually see my lost drone, even though it had been lost for two or three years!

I’m surprised nobody snagged it while fishing.

I told a local city employee that if he could retrieve it I would be very grateful. He said that it was possible. I tried to walk out to retrieve it, but the mud was like quicksand.
Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the post above, somebody was able to walk out into the mud and confiscate my drone. I'm sure though that none of the electrics will work it's only value would be in the frame and propellers, but it may make a nice conversation piece.

Latest developments in a recent hexacopter build, a new control system.

This drone experiment started out as a quad, but I was not satisfied with the control characteristics. I decided that a hexacopter would work better, and to some extent it did.

Although the transmitter set up I was using worked okay with special functions, I did not like the idea that after takeoff I had to make an adjustment for it to fly correctly. I’ve been using a Taranis for about the past 10 to 12 years when flying drones, and with this particular drone I thought it would be time to try a new transmitter.

I selected the Paladin 18 channel model and set up the recent build hexacopter using this transmitter and receiver. I was very impressed and found that the set up was different, but I was able to transition to the new transmitter and protocol without a lot of difficulty.

The video test shows the response of the drone to the new system. I was not interested so much in video quality as I was in observing the drone’s response with the new system.

For this particular model the Paladin is a better choice. Additionally, I made a quad drone set up also for the Paladin, which flies very well with this system. Some Nautilus content.

https://vimeo.com/679528860

http://www.mrgodzilla.com/drone/a.jpg

Last edited by Morbius on Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, you have GOT to watch this video! Cool

It's like being a honey bee as it cruises around the neighborhood, looking down at the landscape below and wondering why the crazy humans do things like putting old cars in their backyards and letting them slowly turn to rus! Shocked

The spider-shaped shadow of the drone as it slithers over the ground and oozes over objects looks exactly like a CGI special effect of a "dark matter alien" which is exploring this strange new environment!

Ray Bradbury would have watched this video and written a story called A Shadow from the Stars.

Morbius, thank you for sharing your newest drone creation with us. Obviously it inspired at least one science fiction writer to think not only "outside the box" . . . but well above it! Confused

_______________ PALADIN HEXACOPTER TEST

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO cool! Really fascinating stuff! Love it!
Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the interest, catch the Nautilus content?
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nautilus Submarine won't let me log in, probably because I mentioned All Sci-Fi once too often, and I've discovered that site administrators get nasty when a member mentions another message board — as if the person is trying to lure their members away! Rolling Eyes

I re-registered as Bruce Cook and sent a private message to the site admin, Olly, asking him to unlock my Bud Brewster membership, but I suspect he'll just lock out that membership too.

Oh, well . . . I haven't been to Nautilus Submarine in ages, so I really don't care.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nautilus Submarine won't let me log in, probably because I mentioned All Sci-Fi once too often, and I've discovered that site administrators get nasty when a member mentions another message board — as if the person is trying to lure their members away! Rolling Eyes

I re-registered as Bruce Cook and sent a private message to the site admin, Olly, asking him to unlock my Bud Brewster membership, but I suspect he'll just lock out that membership too.

By the way, one of the administrators is Sourdoh, and he's a member of All Sci-Fi as well! He said some nice things on a thread at NS which discussed the problems ASF had a few years ago, and the fact that I managed to rescue the database and get it up and running again. Very Happy

Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud,

Our newest member Bruce Cook

Joined:February 20th, 2022, 5:56 pmLast active:February 21st, 2022, 1:37 pmTotal posts:0 | Search user’s posts
(0.00% of all posts / 0.00 posts per day)

Check out the Jet Nautilus in the video, at the end just before landing.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hot damn, I ain't the only one who would love see more images of THAT gorgeous creation, sir!

Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following photos and video document some of the early work I did while developing the Jet Nautilus.

The video was an experiment to determine if my variable thrust for propulsion would work, and as you can tell the electrics worked great!

This was before the introduction of brushless motors, as I was aware, but what I did was make an electronic speed control using solid-state relays and the internals from a typical RC servo.

In any case it works.

After a while I lost interest in running the submarine, because I had reached my goal in its development, and while it was great fun to run, all the water around here is turbid,

So, once it goes underwater you can’t see it. After a while it became boring.

The Jet Nautilus has been in retirement for some time now, as my interest focused on Quadcopters. Someday I may refurbish the Jet Nautilus and find some clear water.

]

________________________ WATER JET TEST

____________ http://www.mrgodzilla.com/Nautilus/test7.wmv

[
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need clear water? Very Happy

How 'bout that nice swimming pool we see in your neighbor's yard on the video!

Who could resist an offer to paddle around in their pool while that great Nautilus model cruiss the perimeter, guarding against the threat of squid attacks! Shocked

Morbius, simply ask your lovely wife to bake up a batch of delicious brownies, then have her show up at your neighbor's door — brownies in hand and wearing a big smile — while you stand behind her holding the Jet Nautilus as she says, "Can my husband use your pool for a little science experiment, please?" Very Happy
Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got cha covered on that one. Its too much for a pool, but the video does demonstrate the maneuverability of the jet system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgeMuhRNbEg

http://www.mrgodzilla.com/Nautilus/20.JPG
Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This video shows a continuation of field tests for the Paladin hexacopter. For the most part it worked perfectly responding to all the controls.

However, I wanted to test the failsafe option using the Paladin transmitter. You can see the result of this experiment towards the end of the video. I hit failsafe and sure enough the drone turned around to face home and came directly overhead, and just stayed there, it did not descend. This could have been an error on my part without letting the drone establish home before it took off.

In any case in this mode, it was out of my control and it was just sitting there hi in the air. Eventually the battery would’ve worn out and the drone would’ve tumbled to the ground. I had to recover control of the drone and get it out of failsafe mode.

To do this I hit manual, knowing full well that I could quickly recover and go back to GPS. In manual mode you can see in the video that it starts to fall rapidly. The telemetry shows it falling to about 29 feet. I quickly hit GPS and full throttle to bring it back up and salvage what was about to be a costly crash.

You can see the rapid change in altitude in the video segment showing the telemetry.

________ Paladin Hexacopter Test March 8, 2022

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy mackerel, I love your description of this technical problem and the way you tested your solution to it! Very Happy

Unfortunately, the video is a bit jerky (at least when I played it), so it was difficult to connect what you described to what I watched. Sad

But I loved the the dramatic way your faithful drone returned to home base and then hovered above you while you desperately figured out how to keep it from remaining there until it ran out of power and crashed to the ground! Shocked

And, of course, the Big Trouble in Little China soundtrack music provided the perfect nail-biting tension for this high-flying techno drama! Cool

Bravo, Dr. Morbius! Please continue your cutting-edge research into Aerial Automation! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Off-Topic Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: