ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Polar Lights Jupiter 2 (1965) from Lost in Space - Rework
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Models and Dioramas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who is lucky enough to examine the actual finished model won't truly understand all the hard work and unique skill that went into your creation!

Steve, I wish someone could help you make a YouTube video which focused on the many stages it took to build all the fine details and then install them in their proper places. A moving camera could pan slowly over your work bench and present closeups of the component parts.

You could narrate the video and explain the elaborate and meticulous procedures you used — the way your text does in the posts above.

Selected pieces of music from Lost in Space would play in the background at a low volume.

You know . . . something like this. Cool

___Lost In Space soundtrack suite - John Williams

trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I decided to go ahead and fix the noticeable football shaped shallow reflection (?) that I said was a "minor problem" before and that I was not going to fix.

Turned out I just could not let it go so I went ahead and wet sanded the hull after spraying with another coat of black:

Jupiter 2 - Rework- Black Coat Number 2 by Steve J, on Flickr

Spraying the Underside of the Main Window Brow...

The best angle to spray from was from the inside so I masked the whole underside first then sprayed black:

Jupiter 2 - Rework- Spraying the Underside of the Main Window Brow by Steve J, on Flickr

I used heavy brown paper and blue painter's tape (mostly) for masking off the ceiling and walls:

Jupiter 2 - Rework- Upper Hull Interior Masking by Steve J, on Flickr

Having sanded the hell out of the bow under the window to get rid of the reflection under the silver I had sprayed the entire hull with Krylon gloss black. Then I filled a few remaining shallow divots with Perfect Plasitc Putty (PPP) before sanding and polishing followed by another round of wet sanding and polishing. Care had to be taken not to wet sand the PPP as it dissolves quite easily in water even after it cures:

Jupiter 2 - Rework- Upper Hull Bow Puttying and Wet Sanding by Steve J, on Flickr

The repainted black lower hull was sprayed with a new coat of Krylon Metallic Aluminum. After a day I went back and removed all the little squares of Tamiya masking tape from the projector.

Some of the Krylon silver flaked off as I removed the tape but I was able to do touch-ups using aluminum enamel paint and a brush. The enamel bottle paint was a dead match for the Krylon thankfully:

Jupiter 2 - Rework- Lower Hull Second Silver Coat and Unmasking by Steve J, on Flickr

This turned out pretty good.

I did a little cleanup and touchup of the bow window frames prior to installing the clear plastic window panes. I also installed the main hatch into the hull using 5 minute epoxy:

Jupiter 2 - Rework- Upper Hull Really Finished This Time Silver Coat by Steve J, on Flickr

Next up . . . Window Installation!

Hey here's a question for you LIS trivia fans.

What were Doctor Smith's last words as he floated in space sans space suit after an unfortunate mistake?
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, those of us who are actually NOT true Lost in Space fans need a hint. Sad

For example, what season was this event in, what episode was it. and what Google question will give me the answer? Confused

I tried several Google questions, but I struck out!

trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:

Steve, those of us who are actually NOT true Lost in Space fans need a hint. Sad

For example, what season was this event in, what episode was it. and what Google question will give me the answer? Confused

I tried several Google questions, but I struck out!

He never said anything as it never happened Bud.
I just made it up as a joke.

Anyway, the answer is, "THE PAIN!!! OH THE PAIN!!!"

An obvious choice for fans of the show of course.

Last edited by trekriffic on Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I masked around the window opening with blue tape as a precaution against doing anything stupid to mar the finished hull paint during window pane installation. I glued the windows into the frames using 5 minute epoxy applied very neatly and carefully :

Jupiter 2 - Rework- Main Flight Deck Bow Windows Installed by Steve J, on Flickr

Getting there...

Man, I have to say, tricking Will into jettisoning Doctor Smith out the air lock sure helped speed this refit along.
I still need to finish installing the upper bubble with its butterfly wing spinner and finish the main window frame pillars:

Jupiter 2 - Rework- Progress Shot by Steve J, on Flickr

More window work...

The pillars were glued in carefully using 5 minute epoxy:

Jupiter 2 - Rework- Bow Window Pillars Installed by Steve J, on Flickr

Just need to glue on these strips to cover the bottoms of the windows. They are painted using Testors "flat steel" enamel.
It's almost identical to the Krylon and goes on smoother than my bottle of aluminum paint which is thickening up in the bottle.
Metal enamel paints tend to do that, although True North paints claims there's is less prone to that than Testors:

Jupiter 2 - Rework- Final Framing by Steve J, on Flickr

Spinner done...

The spinner dome looks nice. It actually spins too. I used 5 minute epoxy to glue the dome in place:

Jupiter 2 - Rework- Spinner in Dome by Steve J, on Flickr

The spinner (which is supposed to be a navigational sensor and force field generator) can be turned from the inside by twirling this short length of tubing in the center of the ceiling hub:

Jupiter 2 - Rework- Spinner Handle in Ceiling by Steve J, on Flickr

I applied the last decal next to the main hatch after giving the hull a rub and buff with Novus 1 polis:

Jupiter 2 - Rework- Upper Hull After Novus Polish by Steve J, on Flickr

The last of the decals was applied using MicroSet and sealed with a light brush of Future:

Jupiter 2 - Rework- Door Tether Points and Switch Decal by Steve J, on Flickr

I glued the last three bottom sections in using epoxy; any gliue residue was cleaned up with alcohol and a microbrush.
Once the putty dried I filled in underneath the strips with AVES.
The AVES being grey it doesn't really need to be painted to match the aluminum hull although I found steel enamel worked just as well.
I don't even see the light grey putty using the naked eye:

Jupiter 2 - Rework- Window Framing Done by Steve J, on Flickr

The model fully assembled and lit... teasers prior to posting the final finished model shots and a video...

The illumination is not as bright in person as it appears in camera. The two switches for the engine projector and upper deck batteries are push buttons mounted inside the holes for the two forward landing leg struts:

Jupiter 2 - Rework- Low Light Test by Steve J, on Flickr

You can see more in progress shots here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/albums/72157719780149335
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2022 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, it's GORGEOUS! Shocked

And knowing about all the amazing details inside makes this a work of art that would take a person several hours (and a large magnifying glass) to fully appreciate.

Your fine model certainly raises my appreciation for the Jupiter II in the series itself.

Thanks! Cool

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, it's beautiful!

I'd love to see more views of it!

Wonderful work! That's not just model making...It's ART!

trekriffic
Starship Navigator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally! Here are the final images of my reworked Jupiter 2:

Jupiter 2 - Rework- Finished Images by Steve J, on Flickr

Upper deck:

Lower deck:

Go to page 3 here on Flickr for more pics:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/albums/72157719780149335/with/52527552667/

Thanks for looking!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Models and Dioramas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: