ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fantastic Voyage (1966)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, I forgot that.

My dirty mind is showing . . . Embarassed

Krel

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
This new info rescues my defense of the Proteus' design and frees it from the necessity of ballast tanks and all that other bulky stuff! Cool

Submarines are designed to have positive, neutral or negative buoyancy. Even if the Proteus was designed with neutral or negative buoyancy, it will still need ballast tanks to float.

Most submarines are designed to have positive buoyancy for emergencies. Another safety measure submarines have is ballast weight that can be dumped in an emergency for flotation.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

* Revised comment from yesterday.

Krel wrote:
Bud Brewster wrote:
This new info rescues my defense of the Proteus' design and frees it from the necessity of ballast tanks and all that other bulky stuff! Cool

Submarines are designed to have positive, neutral or negative buoyancy. Even if the Proteus was designed with neutral or negative buoyancy, it will still need ballast tanks to float.

No argument there, sir. Very Happy

However, I'm wondering if the relatively small size of the Proteus means it doesn't need the mechanisms necessary for submarines which travel to deeper depths.

After all, the Proteus' design is NOT suitable for dives into high pressure! All those wonderful transparent windows prove that the Proteus is meant to stay close to the surface, where the pressure is low and the light is bright!

Admittedly there are small-sized submersibles designed for deep ocean work, but their Plexiglas bubbles are very thick, and the subs are equipped with floodlights to illuminate the dark ocean depths.

The Proteus' ports aren't thick, and we see no big floodlights on it. The pilot's bubble was smashed by a white corpuscle, indicating that it wasn't overly strong.
Very Happy
Krel

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
The Proteus' ports aren't thick, and we see no big floodlights on it. The pilot's bubble was smashed by a white corpuscle, indicating that it wasn't overly strong. Very Happy

I don't think that the pilot's (helmsman?) bubble was crushed. I believe it was dissolved. We also don't know how thick the ports were suppose to be.

I agree that the Proteus wasn't a deep water sub. The large ports and lack of exterior lighting would indicate that the sub mission depth is about 35 feet. Below that there is not much natural light. Even as a shallow water sub, the Proteus should have had exterior lighting, but that's reel real, as opposed to real, real.

Thinking on it, the Proteus may have been a neutral buoyancy sub, where the sub's altitude was determined by the sub's engines, and diving planes.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
Thinking on it, the Proteus may have been a neutral buoyancy sub, where the sub's altitude was determined by the sub's engines and diving planes.

I concur with your analysis. It agrees completely with what we see in the movie.
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
I agree that the Proteus wasn't a deep water sub. The large ports and lack of exterior lighting would indicate that the sub mission depth is about 35 feet. Below that there is not much natural light. Even as a shallow water sub, the Proteus should have had exterior lighting, but that's reel real, as opposed to real, real.

Actually, on the average, sunlight penetrates to about 600 feet below the surface.

The Proteus did have a ring of rather anemic-looking exterior lights around the base of the pilot's dome.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen, this discussion is fascinating! Your comments are informative and obviously well researched. Very Happy

Concerning the depth to which sunlight reaches in seawater, it occurred to me that visibility is obviously affected by the clarity of the water in any given area. Places like Silver Springs, Florida — with it's famous glass bottom boats — represents the high end of the scale.

However, the clarity in the ocean is rarely that good, and in any giveN place the clarity can vary greatly because of tides and currents.

I did a bit of research to find out if most fish spawned in shallow water or deep water. What I learned was that the depths vary greatly. For example, the Bone fish lives in shallow water, but it dives down over 400 feet to spawn.

However, many coastal fish (especially tropical species) spawn in shallow water, and these are the areas with the clearest waters, especially the regions around the beautiful reefs.

The Proteus does seem well designed to navigate safely through the reefs, where the danger of collisions with the coral would be high.

But the sub's plethora of ports would offer a stunning view of the spectacular sea life, allowing oceanographers and marine biologists a ring side seat where than study this aquatic world in a relaxed, shirt-sleeve environment. Cool

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agent Grant (Stephen Boyd) tells General Carter (Edmond O'Brien) that he (Grant) would not know if Dr. Duval (Arthur Kennedy)--who is under suspicion as a possible enemy agent--was saving or killing patient Benes during the critical brain operation that will be performed with the laser rifle.

Dr. Michaels (Donald Pleasence) reassures Grant that he (Michaels) would be able to recognize if Duval was up to anything illicit during the operation.

Towards the finale of the movie we see Dr. Duval, his assistant Cora Peterson (Raquel Welsh) exit the Proteus in order to work on the damaged area of Benes brain.

Grant joins them.

Michaels remains inside the Proteus.

Shouldn't Grant find that highly unusual and alarming that Michaels isn't going with him to observe Duval's work!?!

Michaels told Grant that he (Michaels) would be able to detect any funny business done by Duval regarding the brain operation.

Grant has to know that Michaels cannot do much close up observing from inside the Proteus.

True: it is Michaels who is the saboteur and has decided to remain inside the Proteus in order to hijack the submarine in order to halt the operation and murder Benes.

But Grant doesn't know that Michaels is the enemy agent at this stage. At least he hasn't given any indication of it.

All Grant has surmised is that Duvall is probably not the undercover agent because 'He doesn't fit the profile.'

However, Grant should have asked Michaels just why he wasn't coming to observe Duval (just in case Grant is wrong) performing the delicate and crucial operation since Michaels is the only one who would be able to tell if Duval is doing anything fishy.

Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a fishy background I can add that there are many Chondrichthyan (sharks skates and rays) species that either lay eggs or give live birth, for example the white shark.

In most sharks the male, as well as some skates and rays, have claspers near the caudal fins, one on each side — an easy way to distinguish males from females.

I really can’t think of any Chondrichthyan species that disperse eggs and sperm into the water column like most (all) bony fish. Although a shark may give live birth, to my knowledge there is no example of parenting.'

You’re on your own kid. Good luck.
Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of subs

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Morbius! Very Happy

Sir, I've been to many message boards over the years, but I can say without false modesty that All Sci-Fi is the only one which offers intelligent and well-written comments like yours — comments which address both science fiction and scientific facts in a discussion about the movies which true sci-fi fans enjoy!

Thank you, sir. Cool

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A thought occurred to me recently regarding a scene from FV.

Dr. Duval (Arthur Kennedy) & Dr. Michaels (Donald Pleasance) get into a debate regarding the philosophical/religious aspects about an intelligent designer as they journey through the human body.

Dr. Duval believes that life was created by some sort of higher power and that the human body and its processes were miraculous.

Dr. Michaels argues it is all simply due to millions of years of evolution and nothing more.

*SPOILER AHEAD* Yeah, I know, for a 55-year old movie, but who knows?

When it is revealed that Michaels is an espionage agent and saboteur for "the other side" (USSR one assumes given the Cold War paranoia in the 50s and 60s), it made me think of the atheistic history of the Soviet Union government.

Is it possible that the scriptwriters were dropping the audience a clue in that particular scene that Michaels was the agent by having him profess what appeared to be his atheist beliefs just like the USSR had at that time?
Krel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
*SPOILER AHEAD* Yeah, I know, for a 55-year old movie, but who knows?

Don't count them out Pow. A few years ago, I caught A LOT of grief for a detailed synopsis of a mid-50s movie! Laughing

David.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you, Krel, I believe you. Guess we can't assume that everyone has seen the same movies as we have seen despite the film being decades old.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I suspect there's a class of people who are less considerate than you, David. Very Happy

Here's the other side of the coin.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: