ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fantastic Voyage (1966)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old "hide in plain site" ploy. It never fails! Cool

Krel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotpens wrote:
Well, U.N.C.L.E.'s secret New York headquarters had a hidden entrance in the back of a tailor shop. And U.F.O.'s SHADO complex was underneath a movie studio!

To be fair, U.N.C.L.E. HQ was more of an office building than a secret facility, and movie studios are traditionally built where land is cheap and there is land for filming. It is usually later that other businesses and houses build up around them.

David.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone once noted: Just how were the U.N.C.L.E. people able to enter the headquarters by all of 'em going through Del Floria's tailor shop & go unnoticed?

The hq must have had a huge staff, different shifts. So how could an entire shift report for work at the same time without the line going out of the shop, into the street & around the block?

Must have been other secret entrances.

Always thought that the idea of hiding S.H.A.D.O.hq beneath a movie studio was ludicrous.

The studio would employ hundreds of people who worked only for the studio & not be aware of the secret government organization. That's a lot of folks that could stumble upon secrets.

How about the numerous press & news groups covering the movie end of the studio. These reporters would be the last people you'd want near a secret h.q.

Bad concept.

Last edited by Pow on Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U-91035 } Designated official name of the Proteus.

Last edited by Pow on Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to note that also missing from the Gold Key Comic Book adaptation of FV was any dialogue between the characters as they mused over God, man, infinity & so forth.

Too bad, it's a thoughtful conversation.

However, I would never have expected it in a comic book from 1966.

Last edited by Pow on Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
As someone once noted: Just how were the U.N.C.L.E. people able to enter the headquarters by all of 'em going through Del Floria's tailor shop & go unnoticed?

The hq must have had a huge staff, different shifts. So how could an entire shift report for work at the same time without the line going out of the shop, into the street & around the block?

In the early episode openings, the secret door in the back of the tailor shop was specifically called the "agents' entrance." Presumably it was used only by field agents or those with a designated security clearance level. The rank-and-file, clock-punching U.N.C.L.E. employees probably entered via the first-floor lobby like any other office drudges!

Krel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:

In addition to the Agent's entrance, there was a visitor entrance in a club on one corner. On the other corner was a parking garage with an entrance for non Agent personnel, as well as a heliport on the garage roof. There was also a channel to the East River.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a good article about Fantastic Voyage Sarlog issue #16.

Click on each page here to see a large, easy-to-read version you can zoom in on. Click on the large version again, and then zoom in as close as you want!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a fine article, but in my opinion it doesn’t start off well. Authors Al Taylor and Richard Meyers used flowery prose to recreate the scene inside the blood vessel, and frankly it’s a bit overdone. It goes on too long, and it combines elements from several scenes in the movie.

I just didn’t care for it. But heck, the writers meant well.

Thankfully they get down to business after that long summary and started providing interesting information about the production of the Fantastic Voyage. The article reminded me that the director was Richard Fleisher, whose credentials include his triumphant direction of 20,000 Under the Sea. I learned to really appreciate Fleisher from the Cinefantastique article I recently posted about the Disney classic.

Like many of the Starlog articles, the authors felt compelled to summarize the plot, and in this case the summary takes up a large part of the article, unfortunately. The fact that people who have seen the movie don’t need a retelling of the story is bad enough, but the people who have NOT seen it don’t want to read the many spoilers the article contains — include which character turns out to be the saboteur! Shocked

In short, the long and detailed summary was a bad idea. Rolling Eyes

After giving away the entire plot (climax included), the authors started providing interesting info about the motion picture. I was grateful for the quotes from an interview with cinematography Ernest Lazlo, who described the challenges the production faced in lighting and shooting the expensive sets — both the “real world” sets and those depicting the “microscopic world”.

Lazlo provided the type of info I wanted from this article, and his comments made up for the unfortunate spoiler-rich summary that preceded it. When you read it I hope you won’t give up before you’ve gotten past the unnecessary plot summary.

One comment by Lazlo I found especially interesting was they way he convinced the producers to use colored lights to provide the sets with even more vibrant colors than they could have achieved by simply painting the sets and lighting them normally.

The article also provided interesting details about how the miniature set for the heart was built for the scene of the Proteus cruising through it. And there’s a good description of the full-sized 100 x 200 foot “brain” set as well.

Another interesting fact mentioned in the article was that director Richard Fleisher and designer Harper Goff were reunited by this movie. Maybe they should have named the film 20,000 Millimeters Under the Skin!

Then again, maybe not. Embarassed

All in all, this is another fine article from Starlog. I hope you guys will take the time to read it and offer your own comments here on All Sci-Fi. Cool

I found a website devoted to Harper Goff's Proteus! Click in the picture to visit the site, which features several hundred high resolution images of the Proteus, the movie's sets, and models that have been available of the sub.

I discovered that the final fate of the full-sized sub is still a mystery to this day! Rumors that it was destroyed after being modified for an unfilmed scene in The Poseidon Adventure have been discredited, as have other "urban legends" concerning the fate of this magnificent prop.

This is doubly tragic in view of the fact that the subs interior, as seen in the movie, really WAS the sub's interior! The Proteus was built in modular sections so it could be opened up and allow the camera to film the interior shots!

That absolutely amazing me! Shocked

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*SPOILERS* for anyone who hasn't seen this now 52-year old sci-fi movie.

In one scene we see a private conversation between agent Grant & Dr. Michaels. Grant informs Michaels that several incidents that have happened were not accidents but deliberate acts of sabotage.

As it turns out it is Dr. Michaels who is the saboteur.

Was Grant really oblivious that Michaels was the true enemy agent on board the Proteus & that's why he confided in him?

Was Grant attempting to smoke out Michaels in some way by only appearing to confide in him?

Would Grant, a highly trained agent whose mission was to be on the lookout for a saboteur, truly confide his suspicions with anyone on board the Proteus? I should think that he would have to regard anyone as the potential enemy agent.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I remember, Boyd was suspicious of Edmond O'Brien and initially thought he was the saboteur. But I'd have to watch the movie again to be sure of that.

Either way, however, your observations are very logical. Thanks, Pow! Very Happy

Amazingly enough, Nexflix doesn't offer it on their streaming service OR on DVD! But Amazon has the Blu-ray for $5.99. Naturally I just order the damn thing! It will be here on Friday. Very Happy

scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:

As I remember, Boyd was suspicious of Edmond O'Brien and initially thought he was the saboteur. But I'd have to watch the movie again to be sure of that.

Edmond O'Brien's character, General Carter, wasn't even along on the mission. It was Dr. Duval (Arthur Kennedy) who was supposed to be the suspicious one. In fact, Dr. Michaels (Donald Pleasence) tried a bit of reverse psychology on Grant (Stephen Boyd), saying "Surely you don't suspect Duval!"

But we all knew Michaels was the saboteur from the get-go. He was the twitchy, nervous one!
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can see the movie at https://vioozgo.org/movies/1745-fantastic-voyage-1966.html
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, scotspen. Next time I screw up like that, please just send me PM so I can sneak in and fix it. Embarassed

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotpens wrote:
The story of the full-size Proteus being reworked as a rescue sub for either The Poseidon Adventure or its sequel, Beyond the Poseidon Adventure, is probably a myth. There's a studio photo of the Proteus mockup being dismantled after filming, and it hadn't had any alterations done to it. I wish I could find that picture. It used to be on Doug Drexler's old DrexFiles site, which unfortunately no longer exists.

Krel wrote:
I too miss the DrexFiles. He said on the Steve Neil's Garage site last year, that he may do a new one someday.

David.

I reread parts of this thread today and became curious about Doug Drexler's Drexfiles. I found a website that has an article called Doug Drexler takes down "Drexfiles" blog that gave me a little bit of the history for that lost and lamented website.

Another example, I guess, of a blog / message board that passed away. I sounds like it was a great site. Sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 7 of 13

Jump to: