ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 1-1-22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:48 am    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 1-1-22 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at brucecook1@yahoo.com.

An anecdote from 1982 about Forbidden Planet, a comment about color televisions from the 1960s, and a lesson in method acting.

Happy New Year, folks! Very Happy

Forbidden Planet (1956)

Opening Statement: Back in the warm summer of 1978, I was stuck at home for a few weeks, recuperating from injuries I sustained after being hit by a vehicle while crossing the street. My left arm was in a cast, and my left hip was injured but not broken.

During that time I spent an enjoyable week carefully reading the double issue of the Cinefantastique article devoted to Forbidden Planet. Despite having my left arm in a cast and being left handed, I took several pages of notes!
Very Happy

I learned a wealth of amazing things about this beloved movie. While doing so, I vowed to devote my meager artistic talents to creating a series of paintings and drawings dedicated to this remarkable cinematic achievement!

TOS Season 1 Episode 6 — Mudd's Women

Opening Statement: ~ Gerald Perry Finnerman was encouraged to be creative in choosing dramatic lighting and camera angles.

Robert H. Justman recalled that he said to Finnerman, "We're all in outer space, Jerry, and we're in colour. NBC claims to be the first full-colour network, so let's prove it for them. When you light the sets, throw wild colours in — magenta, red, green, any colour you can find — especially behind the actors when they're in a close shot. Be dramatic. In fact, go overboard. Backlight the women and make them more beautiful. Take some chances. Nobody can tell you that's not the way the future will look. How can they? They ain't been there yet."

Bob Justman was very pleased with the final results in this episode. He stated, "Guest stars Karen Steele, Maggie Thrett and Susan Denberg, good-looking in real life, looked even more radiantly lovely and ravishing as they worked their magic upon Captain Kirk and crew - after Jerry worked his magic upon the three actresses."

Note from me: Many scenes in the series had colored lighting on the wall behind the actors. Back in those days people were just tinkled pink by their new color TV sets. Prior to that were just tinkled black & white, but they liked pink (and all the other colors) better.

TOS season 1 episode 8 — Charlie X

Opening Statement: ~ True to his training as a Method actor, Robert Walker Jr. chose to remain in his dressing room and not interact with any members of the cast as this would help his characterization of a strange, aloof person.

Note from me: Apparently it worked, because Robert did indeed manage to be strange and aloof.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: