ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Relics (1992) Season #6, Episode#4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek on Television
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:43 am    Post subject: Relics (1992) Season #6, Episode#4 Reply with quote

From Memory Alpha. Relics first aired on October 10, 1992.

Written by: Ronald D. Moore. Directed by: Alexander Singer.

Synopsis: The Enterprise discovers a Dyson Sphere. On the surface of this immense sphere is the 75 year old wreckage of the USS Jenolen and one survivor: Montgomery Scott.

Writer Moore had much of the drama in this episode stemming from the friction between Scotty and Geordi La Forge in order to underscore the differences between them even though both were Star Fleet star ship Engineers.

Scotty was the former Chief Engineer of an earlier Enterprise while Geordi was Chief Engineer of the current Enterprise.

Scotty never wanted to be anything else but a star ship engineer during his time in the service. Geordi, although he loves his job and is having a good time at it, does desire to move on and command his own star ship one day.

Moore had the tricky task of establishing disagreements between Scotty & Geordi and not having the fans turn on La Forge. He knew that Scotty was a beloved character from the original series, so he had to have dramatic confrontations but not make Geordi come off like a jerk regarding his problems with Scotty.

Director Alexander Singer was initially concerned about guest star James Doohan. He had never worked with Doohan and did not know what that would be like. He also knew that Doohan would be the focus of the episode, something he never did on the original show where he was always in a supporting role. Singer was wondering if Doohan had the talent to carry an entire episode.

Doohan was also in his 70s at the time and Singer wondered if Doohan would be physically & mentally capable for the show.

Turns out Doohan was up to the task and a delight for the cast and crew to meet and work with.

The Dyson Sphere was named after scientist Freeman Dyson who first theorized about such a structure back in 1959.

Dyson did not envision a solid structure for his sphere as depicted in this episode. Dyson never did take the idea of such a construct too seriously and believed the science behind it to be nonsense.

He did watch Relics and enjoyed it.

The USS Jenolen was originally built for use as a shuttle for Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country. It was refurbished for Relics.

The ship is named after the Jenolen Caves in Australia that Moore had visited at one time and was so impressed by.

As originally scripted, Scotty was to have interacted on the holo-deck recreated Enterprise bridge with his former shipmates via clips from ST:TOS.

This was cut for budgetary reasons.

Filmed but deleted was a scene between Scotty & Counselor Troi. Scotty is friendly to Troi at first until he realizes that she has been sent to give him therapy. He then becomes incensed by this because he feels that Geordi thinks he's a crazy old man.

The recreated bridge for the original series Enterprise was done by looping footage of an empty bridge as seen in the episode "This Side of Paradise" and having a blue screen behind James Doohan. Only small portions of the original bridge had to be built.

Writer Ron Moore said that writing Relics was the most enjoyable time he ever had scripting an episode. He felt it was one of the best he had done in a personal sense.

Flying the Enterprise successfully out of the Dyson Sphere was actress Lanei Chapman. She would go on to play a fighter pilot Lt. Vanessa Damphouse in the terrific SF series Space: Above and Beyond (1995~1996).

Relics is a marvelous and entertaining episode. It has the wonderful Jimmy Doohan front and center as Scotty and he performs it masterfully.

The Dyson Sphere is a fascinating and awesome concept. I wish the series had returned to investigating it in a future episode.

And wouldn't a SF TV series based upon a Dyson Sphere be compelling?
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Relics (1992) Season #6, Episode#4 Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
The Dyson Sphere is a fascinating and awesome concept. I wish the series had returned to investigating it in a future episode.

And wouldn't a SF TV series based upon a Dyson Sphere be compelling?

Right you are, Captain Pow!

The first thought I had when I read your suggestion was the fact that the Dyson Sphere would make a fantastic new home for Federation colonies!

In the episode, when the Enterprise first approaches the Dyson Sphere, Riker states that it's size is "nearly as large as Earth's orbit around the sun." Data states that the sphere's inner surface is "the equivalent to 250 million class M planets."

But according to an article in Scientific American called Living near a White Dwarf, a Dyson Sphere as large as Earth's orbit would have a total square footage 550 million times the surface area of Earth!

I wonder which number is right . . .

However, either way, it still presents a flaw for this story! Sad

The episode establishes that after being drawn into the sphere by its automatic systems, the Enterprise almost flies into the star before recovering control of the ship.

Obviously the distance between the sphere's entrance and the surface of the sun was far less than 93,000,000 miles, because the ship is on impulse power and traveling far less than light speed. Even at light speed, a 93-miilion-mile trip would have taken eight minutes!

Here's a partial solution to this problem. Very Happy

What if the TNG story had stated that the star was a white dwarf, not a G-type yellow-dwarf main sequence star, like our sun?

According to an article in Scientific American called Living near a White Dwarf, a white dwarf is 0.0047 the size of the sun's radius. A typical white dwarf is half as massive as the Sun, yet only slightly bigger than Earth.

Furthermore, a newly discovered giant planet (which is seven times larger than the star) is orbiting the white dwarf at 1/50th the distance between Earth and the sun — or about 1,860,000 miles.

Here's the really cool part. Very Happy

The Scientific American article states that an Earth-sized planet orbiting at that distance would be in the "inhabitable zone", where an Earth-like environment could exist! Cool

Even though the star and a hypothetical Earth-like planet would be about the same size, the star is half as massive as the Sun, and the planet's orbit is only 1/50th as far from it.

Therefore, a Dyson Sphere around a While Dwarf would be about 1/50th as large as one which occupied Earth's orbit and enclosed our sun. And yet it would still have the surface volume of 11 million Earths! (550 million ÷ 50 = 11 million)

Imagine what the Federation could do all that lovely real estate! Every colony world on some less-than-perfect planet who wanted to upgrade their humble homestead could move into the Dyson Sphere and enjoy the unlimited solar energy and the perfectly designed ecosystem! Mr. Green

Ah, but there's one little problem.

In Relics they state that the Dyson Sphere was abandoned by it builders because the star was unstable and emitting large amounts of radiation which will be lethal to the crew.

Obviously the problem here is that the Federation will have to find a way to actually stabilize a white dwarf! Shocked

But then again . . . maybe not.

The research I did on the subject of white dwarfs indicates that the older they get, the LESS radiation they emit — not more. So, here's my suggested "fix" for the problem of the unstable white dwarf.

Screw it. That was a dumb idea. So, we just throw it out. Rolling Eyes

With that in mind, the population may (or may not) be gone, but they certainly didn't leave because of any "radiation from the unstable white dwarf". We can come up with a better idea.

So, gentlemen . . . what are your thoughts? Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Krel

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the episode until it turned Scotty from an engineering miracle worker into a liar.

David.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Nitpicker's Guide

At the beginning of the episode, the Enterprise drops out of warp and encounters a strong gravitational field.

Captain Picard asks why the sensors didn't detect it sooner, Data replies that the enormous sphere is causing a great deal of gravimetric interference.

In other words, the Enterprise's sensors couldn't detect the gravitational field of the Dyson sphere because it generated too much gravity?

From what exotic point did Scotty begin his trip to Norphin V? The USS Jenolen spent 75 years on the surface of the Dyson sphere, and no one heard its distress call. Presumably ships pay an occasional call on Norphin V. So why hasn't someone found the sphere before now?

In this episode the entire crew — with the exception of Picard — seems to display a singular lack of interest in the rich perspective that Scotty could bring to their understanding of the history of the organization in which they serve. Aren't there at least some historians on board that would have relished the opportunity to interview Scotty?

As soon as Scott & La Forge wedge the doors of the Dyson sphere open, Picard tells the ensign at conn to make a run for it, and immediately the Enterprise takes off.

Now, wait a minute: Weren't the solar flares from the star buffeting the Enterprise as it held a close orbit just moments before?

If the Enterprise could fly off just like that, why didn't Picard increase the distance between the Enterprise and the star earlier?

Why do the transporters on the Janolen sound and look just like the original Enterprise transporters and not like the transporters in the movies? The Janolen doesn't look old enough to be a contemporary of the Classic Enterprise.

Sidebar: Amazingly enough, the Nitpicker's Guide leaves out one huge technical error on this episode. When the Enterprise is making like a bat-out-of-hell its escape and heads towards the sphere opening, we see the Janolen holding open the enormous doorway with its increased shields.

La Forge tells Picard that the Janolen must remain in place to keep the door open, and that the Enterprise will have to fire phasers at the Janolen, destroying it, & beam Geordi & Scott onto the Enterprise.

And that's just what happens.

Except there's a problem. Just how did the Enterprise transporters manage to successfully transport Geordi & Scotty from the Janolen when the transporter beam should have not been able to penetrate the Janolen's powerful shielding at all?

Bud, your star research payed off and could have solved a problem not only for this episode but for a spin-off series.
Scientific consultants around the world hail you.

Interesting point about Scotty's character, David. I hadn't really thought about Scott's bending the truth like that before.

I wonder just where Scotty went after he borrowed the Enterprise shuttle craft?

Got a kick out of Scotty when he meets Lt. Worf and realizes that there's a Klingon now enlisted in the service of Starfleet.
How about the scene in the finale where the crew has gathered in the hanger deck. Everyone gives Scotty a warm goodbye and he receives kisses from Dr. Crusher & Troi. As Worf walks past Scott when everyone is leaving, we see Scotty look at him with bewilderment. In fact, Scott even kind of recoils a tad from Worf as Worf walks by Scott.

Apparently this episode went so well and was so popular there were discussions about bringing James Doohan back as a regular on ST:TNG.

That might have been very interesting had they done that, but I'm not a 100% sure that adding Jimmy to the cast would have worked out.

If they'd had time — and they clearly did not — it would have been nifty to have had a scene where Scotty was sitting at a computer in his quarters and looking up info on his old shipmates from the Enterprise.

I liked how this episode had Scotty refer to "The Naked Time," & "Elaan of Troyius." It would be very natural that he would discuss incidents from his past, just as we all do from time to time.

I think that this story could have easily been a two-part episode.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kinds words to me, as well as for your great posts to All Sci-Fi!

Here's what I think the studio should have done with this great idea.

Imagine Scotty being assigned as the ambassador / liaison to all the new colonies from various worlds who quickly established colonies on the Dyson Sphere!

He would be the wise old counselor, the historic figure, and the man who understood both the old technology and the new, both of which would used on this amazing new world of mixed cultures!

Scotty would constantly be traveling around the Dyson Sphere, helping the colonies of various species get along and share both their knowledge and their physical resources on this incredible artificial environment, which offers both limitless energy and limitless room! Shocked

Guys, I see this as a wonderful idea for a Star Trek series that didn't involve starships racing all over the galaxy — which I really love . . .

Instead it offers the audience an unlimited "world" of alien cultures — and they all exist in one gigantic sphere! Very Happy

And yet, starships could frequently come and go, introducing new concepts to the stories on a weekly basis — even though I don't think it would ever really need them!

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your idea of having Scotty be a kind of ambassador for the Dyson Sphere, Bud.

Another idea could be to have the very first season of a Dyson Sphere Star Trek TV show show how the Federation of Planets have sent a star ship---or two---to investigate and study the sphere prior to colonization of any kind in order to make sure it is safe for everyone.

What would they discover there left behind by the race that constructed the sphere?

Another thought, although not necessarily for Star Trek, could be a civilization that is collecting & saving various species of critters from all over the galaxy. They've build a sphere that will provide safe environments for the creatures.

Some creatures would remain inside the sphere, others would be medically rehabbed and could be safely returned to their home world.

How about a sphere that has been built to open passageways throughout the galaxy, to parallel earths, time travel?

Its always postulated that such a scientific capability would require astonishing power in order to create such vortexes. What would be more immense than an entire sphere devoted to such an endeavor?
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Relics (1992) Season #6, Episode#4 Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
The USS Jenolen was originally built for use as a shuttle for Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country. It was refurbished for Relics.

Frankly, I think the design works better in its earlier incarnation. The sleek lines are obviously inspired by contemporary Mediterranean luxury yachts. All that's missing are a couple of bikini-clad Eurobabes sunning themselves on the afterdeck!

Bud Brewster wrote:
. . . Even though the star and a hypothetical Earth-like planet would be about the same size, the star is half as massive as the Sun, and the planet's orbit is only 1/50th as far from it.

Therefore, a Dyson Sphere around a While Dwarf would be about 1/50th as large as one which occupied Earth's orbit and enclosed our sun. And yet it would still have the surface volume of 11 million Earths! (550 million ÷ 50 = 11 million)

Sorry, but your math doesn't add up.

The average radius of the Earth's orbit is 93,000,000 miles. 1/50th of that distance is 1,860,000 miles. Applying the formula for the surface area of a sphere (4 x pi x radius squared) gives us a Dyson sphere with a surface area of 43,474,717,440,000 square miles. Divide that by the total surface area of the Earth (196,900,000 square miles) and you get a figure of 220,796 (rounded to the nearest whole number). That's quite a bit less than 11 million!
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured it a different way than you did, and I over simplified the problem. Embarassed

I based my numbers on the Scientific American article which said a Dyson Sphere as large as Earth's orbit would have a total square footage 550 million times the surface area of Earth.

I figured that if a Dyson Sphere around a Dwarf star is 1/50 as large, it would have an area 1/50 as much as the one the size of Earth's orbit.

Unfortunately, I know now that I was mistaken. I learned today that if (for example) you cut the radius of a sphere in half, you reduce the area to 1/8 it's original size, not 1/2.

So, I accept your more accurate way of calculating the Dwarf star Dyson Sphere, Professor Scotpens. Very Happy

I guess we'll just have to refund the down payment to those alien races who won't fit into that dinky little Dyson Sphere are all. Sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek on Television All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: