ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This flying catamaran reinvents the zeppelin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> SCIENCE now, add FICTION later
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:59 pm    Post subject: This flying catamaran reinvents the zeppelin Reply with quote

Imagine my surprise when a did a Google search for the term I concocted to describe the "catamaran zeppelin" on the Island at the Top of the World thread —

— and found THIS at a site call Plugavel Shocked

This flying catamaran reinvents the zeppelin

Imagined by the Italian design studio Lazzarini, this concept called Air Yacht (<— click to view the amazing photo gallery) is based on two manageable rigid 150-meter long tanks filled with helium, connected by a central bridge 80 meters long and 10 meters wide.

A kind of flying catamaran designed to accommodate a few ultra-fortunate privileged people looking for exclusive experiences. After landing in a helicopter on the deck of their Air Yacht, they will enjoy a 360-degree view from the vast living-dining room, and from all five of the suites.

© Lazzarini design studio

This flying palace is supposed to be able to navigate for more than 48 hours, thanks to the 400,000 m 3 of compressed helium contained in its tanks, and to the solar panels which provide power. The propulsion is provided by eight electric rotors which can pivot to allow the Air Yacht to land on the water — thanks to a ballast system — and to sail at 5 knots.

Of course, this is just a concept that is not intended to become reality, reality, at least not for now. But there is no doubt that a billionaire eager to impress his fellow creatures would not hesitate to put his hand in his the wallet to acquire such a toy.

The photo gallery which the link in the article leads to has dozens of incredible images. Here's a few samples.

I love the fact that this "catamaran zepplin" can land on water and allow passengers to come and go by boat! Cool

]

And of course the Air Yacht has a helicopter pad to bring in new guests, take home departing ones, and deliver supplies.

God, I love this idea . . . Very Happy

scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ That helicopter landing pad looks awfully narrow. The pilot would have to be able to literally land on a dime!

Bud Brewster wrote:
The photo gallery which the link in the article leads to has dozens of incredible images.

Nice pictures, but the English reads like a machine translation.

Here's a link to an Esquire magazine piece from June 1968 about a proposed nuclear-powered passenger airship:

https://classic.esquire.com/article/1968/6/1/toward-a-cruise-ship-of-the-air

You have to log into the site but it's free.

NOTE: If you're going to do the same post in two different threads, I suppose I can post my response in the same two threads!
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotpens wrote:
NOTE: If you're going to do the same post in two different threads, I suppose I can post my response in the same two threads!

Of course! The subject is relevant to both Island at the Top of the World and SCIENCE now, add FICTION later. Very Happy

After all, we've got fans of the movie AND fans of science. However, some folks might be interested in one, but not the other.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> SCIENCE now, add FICTION later All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: