ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 1-28-22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:32 am    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 1-28-22 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at brucecook1@yahoo.com.

We kick things off today with Harryhausen's first feature film, the one about Joe the Giant Friendly Gorilla.

Then please a take look at the thread for Search, a short-live series that was well ahead of its time.

And we wind things up with a series about a reporter who covered the seamy side of society — the really, REALLY seamy side! Shocked

You'll enjoy reading the posts even if you can't come up with something to add. Very Happy

Mighty Joe Young (1949)

IMDB has several interesting trivia items for this production. Very Happy

~ This was the first feature film to which Ray Harryhausen contributed stop-motion animation effects.

Note from me: When you consider that Ray was 29 years old and entirely self-taught in this demanding and unique field, it's incredible that his skills were every bit as good as the veteran animator, Willis O'Brian!

Probe / Search (1972-1973)

If ever there was a show which was not appreciated because it was ahead of its time — it's this one.

Then again, if ever there was a show which should be remade because it's time had come — it's also this one!

Ironically, the fact that it was so ahead of it's time means that a reboot wouldn't need to "update" the technology to any large degree. It would just need to take advantage of modern FX techniques to display the technology better than the original show was able to do.Very Happy

For example, the camera/sensor which was presented as a small disk which could be mounted as a pendant on a chain around the agent's neck — or as a ring on the agent's finger — could instead be presented as a stylish pair of glasses the agents wear — with somewhat different designs for each person.

And of course, he could also wear another camera/sensor on a ring when that was advantageous as well.

However, if hiding the technology was considered important, I suppose each agent could have one false eye that was bionic. Unfortunately, that seems a bit creepy. I mean, their actual eye was surgically replace? Shocked

And besides, if that was the case, we wouldn't get to actually see any hi-tech hardware, like we did with the camera/sensors. Sad

Guys, I'm open for suggestions on this. If the technology is visible for all to see, the bad guys can take it from them! But if it's implanted, we're just asking the audience to assume the agents have it!

That might be more hi-tech . . . but it's less glitzy and sexy!

It's sort of like a sci-fi Western in which a gunslinger doesn't need to wear a six-shooter in a fancy leather holster and gun belt — because his fingers shoot out the bullets!

I mean, dammit . . . where's the fun in that?!

Kolchak: The Night Stalker (1974~'75)

IMDB has several interesting trivia items for this production.

~ The original script by Richard Matheson called for Carl Kolchak to be dressed in Bermuda shorts and wearing an Aloha shirt. Actor Darren McGavin said, "That doesn't sound like anyone I know," and elected to use a different wardrobe.

While reading up on the character, McGavin noted that Kolchak had been fired from a New York newspaper years before, and thought, "That's it! He hasn't bought a new suit since!" So, Kolchak appeared in a circa 1950s suit.[/color

Note from me: McGavin was right about the original idea for the outfit. Newspaper reporters don't dress like beach bums . . . Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: