ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 2-13-22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:57 am    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 2-13-22 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at brucecook1@yahoo.com.

By gum, Pow is a human database when it comes to certain movies and TV shows — especially the Star Trek episodes.

I make up most of the stuff I posts, 'cause that's what I do best. Very Happy

Pow has pitched some pretty imaginative concepts too, but what he really enjoys doing most is sharing the info he uncovers from a wide range of sources.

Here's a few examples.

TNG episode #27: The Child

I did not care at all for the Picard/Crusher underlying romance either, Bud.

I found Dr.Crusher bland and never cared for any episodes in which she was the focus.

Pulaski may have been a realistic depiction of how some doctors have a bedside manner but I still could not warm up to her.

I'm not someone that has to be fond of every cast member's persona on a TV show by any means.

Love Louie DePalma on "Taxi," loved Major Charles Emerson Winchester III on "M*A*S*H."

Even liked Frank Burns on M*A*S*H because his character served as the kind of louse we can all boo.

All those characters were more richly drawn by the writers and made interesting on some level.

Pulaski never was for me. I just never found any aspect to her that was compelling in any way.

But hey, that's me.

TNG episode #27: The Child

More Trivia for "The Child."

Quite a number of firsts for the debut episode of ST:TNG's second season.

The Conn & Ops station seats located at the front of the bridge now have upright seats instead of the reclined seats from season one.

Jonathan Frakes now wears a beard. Frakes had grown his beard while on hiatus from the show and intended to shave it off before the new season began. Frakes (with beard) was at a Star Trek Convention with Gene Roddenberry when Gene asked the audience what they thought of Jonathan's new beard?

The audience cheered and Gene asked Jonathan to keep the beard for the show.

Geordi La Forge is now the chief engineer for the Enterprise-D.

Worf is now the chief of security for the star ship.

Worf no longer wears his gold Klingon sash that he wore during the first season. The sash was originally introduced in the episode "Errand of Mercy" from ST:TOS. The sash was one a Klingon star ship captain would wear which would have been inappropriate for Worf to wear.

A silver baldric is now worn by Worf. Always preferred the silver baldric over the gold sash from a design standpoint.

Dr. Katherine Pulaski (Diana Muldaur) was introduced as the chief medical officer due to Dr.Crusher having left to serve at Star Fleet Academy. I agree with Bogmeister's assessment of the Pulaski character. The producers must have introduced her to create more conflict for the crew in order to have more dramatic scenes.

The trouble was that Pulaski came off as an irritating and annoying person and not someone charmingly crusty. Her seeing Data as nothing more than a tool did not endear her to fans of Data.

First appearance of Guinan and the Ten-Forward Lounge.

Whoopi Goldberg had been a huge fan of the original Star Trek TV series. She said she saw Uhuru on that iteration and realized that there can be a noble place for black people in the future. Whoopi asked her friend LeVar Burton to ask Gene Roddenberry to create a role for her on the show.

As noted by Bogmeister, this script was originally intended for the ST: Phase II TV series.

The crew member Ilia was to give birth to a baby girl named Irska. Irska unintentionally was weakening the ship's hull and placing everyone in danger.

In a later rewrite, the Enterprise was to encounter an alien cylinder that would endanger the Enterprise. Irska would be the only one who could solve the problems created by the cylinder.

The idea of carrying the deadly plasma plague for study by the Enterprise originate from the film "Sorcerer" which in turn was inspired by the French film "The Wages of Fear."

Wesley points out the star Epsilon Indi when he's in Ten-Forward. The planet orbiting Epsilon Indi was home to the pirates on the episode "And the Children Shall Lead" from ST:TOS.

All-and-all, this episode was an inauspicious start for the new season.

This episode was a rare occasion where a camera crane was utilized.

Marina Sirtis wore a pouch filled with birdseed under her clothing while portraying a pregnant Troi.

TNG episode #20: Heart of Glory

Opening Statement: "The Heart of Glory" March 21, 1988, Trivia.

Director Rob Bowman utilized a Steadicam for the scenes on board the freighter ship the Batris.

The freighter Batris can be recognized as a miniature model that was reused throughout ST:TNG episodes.

The Batris is referred to as a Talarian vessel. We will meet that race on the episode "Suddenly Human."

Michael Dorn was somewhat disappointed with this episode.

Yes, the focal point was his character of Worf but according to Dorn it was just informational regarding Worf.

The script told you where Worf was from, why he's on board the Enterprise-D, is he loyal?

However, Dorn felt this offered none of the complexity of his character at all.

Michael Dorn is a highly skilled pilot in real life including with jets.

The scene with Geordi's VISOR tied into the bridge of the Enterprise-D was very cool.

Sadly it wasn't utilized much probably due to the budget.

The VISOR effect would be seen again on the episode "The Mind's Eye."

The original script had the final battle between the crew & Klingons take place in one of the passageways.

Director Bowman found that anticlimactic and designed the more elaborate scene of the battle taking place in the multi-decked main engineering section.

This was one of the better episodes coming out of a generally mediocre first season.

I remember a friend and I having a discussion regarding the Klingon brought on board who dies.

Worf and the other Klingons have a mourning ceremony and then the head Klingon essentially says that the body is now an empty husk and does not care what happens to it.

My friend recounted how the US military, as well as other nation's military, will go to any length to retrieve deceased soldiers on the battlefield. Even to the point of risking the lives of other soldiers to retrieve their fallen comrades.

Leave no man behind.

So my amigo did not buy into the warrior honoring Klingon culture being so dismissive of their deceased friend's body.

I told my friend while the Klingons pay tribute to their fallen, they take a realistic & practical approach to dead bodies.

The individual is no longer; they have arisen to Klingon heaven.

Therefore, the body is an empty vessel no longer serving the empire and is to be viewed as useless.

There is no emotion about the body or disrespect intended at all.

It is simply a matter of the empty body not being the person they loved any longer with their spirit gone.

You have their memories so don't worry about an ''empty husk."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: